Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

British intelligence tried to get UVF to shoot up a primary school

• 10-07-2020 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Last thread was locked mod told me to post it in CA but I can't find it so it's going in history I doubt there'll be any problems with that.

In the mid 70s British intelligence tried to convince the UVF to shoot up a primary school it was to be carried out by the Gleneanne gang a gang made up entirely of informers/agents the victims were to be both "teachers and students" in the end the UVF refused.

A couple of people said this in the last couple of decades but about a year ago former RUC officer and member of the Gleneanne Gang (otherwise known as MI5s own terror squad) stated that the claims were true.

For people reading this (most of you) who don't know much about the troubles would probably find this sort of claim hard to believe and you would see no reason why they would do that.

The idea was to cause a civil war and turn the IRA into a purely sectarian conflict.

“From their vision such a war would be quite short; they thought they could have a quick, short and sharp process of cleansing out the IRA,” said Mr Murray.

Some IRA members would have acted on their own and carried out sectarian attacks, the IRA over a very short time would lose most of their support and sympathy and members of the IRA would be ten times more likely to become informants due to disgust at IRA actions

Another thing is that this was told to UVF that it was to be in retaliation for the kingsmill attack where the "IRA" killed ten protestant workmen.

There's also a lot of questions about that attack when an enquiry team were asked to investigate it 40 years later but couldn't because the files had "mysteriously disappeared in a fire".

One of the 11 people who was shot over ten times survived and claimed that the guy in charge spoke with an English accent, he wouldn't have had any reason to hide his accent seeing as though it was set up as UDA checkpoint and the soldiers would have been expected to have Irish accents anyway

Comments

Any chance you would link to the source(s) of the information in your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Any chance you would link to the source(s) of the information in your post?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/british-intelligence-tried-to-get-uvf-to-shoot-up-a-school-documentary-claims-1.3800302%3Fmode%3Damp&ved=2ahUKEwiCsMLa2sLqAhXwlHIEHQILCB0QFjACegQIDhAN&usg=AOvVaw3Yqaz3wsSpSXIVlKwBEy1B&ampcf=1

You can barely find anything about this anywhere, but it's funny how when some random dude makes a claim of something to do with Gerry Adams or something about the IRA it's on the front page of every newspaper, Miriam O Callaghan chats her ass off about it and they dedicate full episodes of the tonight show to it.

I've heard something about this reading somewhere years ago.

Oh yeah.

That was also mentioned in a documentary that RTE pulled last year.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/07/15/news/headline-1662742/

Given that the only source of the allegation is one murdererous former UVF member, I suppose I would not regard it as an established fact, on his say so. But I accept he has said so.

It is quite different from the sort of allegations that have frequently been made by multiple sources, and are often supported by corroborating evidence, against other people in connection with this conflict.

edit: just by way of comment, he appears to be attempting to paint the UVF in a good light, as such. I don't accept he was getting anything off his chest. He's puporting to say that even his murdering gang had standards. I don't regard him as inherently credible, on that basis.

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Oh yeah.

That was also mentioned in a documentary that RTE pulled last year.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/07/15/news/headline-1662742/

Given that the only source of the allegation is one murdererous former UVF member, I suppose I would not regard it as an established fact, on his say so. But I accept he has said so.

People believe what they want to believe, remember Sean O' Callaghan he was apparently a very low ranking member of the IRA but yet they made shows on prime time about him, he was always in the newspaper and there were a couple of documentaries all about him all just on his word.

It's funny how true or not the word of one murderous terrorist is depends on how beneficial it is, Sean o Callaghan was saying the dirt about the IRA and Gerry Adams so what he had to say was hardly ever doubted.

I believe based on what I know about the North and what went on that there's a good chance it's true, he doesn't really have any reason to lie and it's known facts these days the intelligence services were doing this type of thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they were willing to go that far.

Bgg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

@Adam9213

"One of the 11 people who was shot over ten times survived and claimed that the guy in charge spoke with an English accent, he wouldn't have had any reason to hide his accent seeing as though it was set up as UDA checkpoint and the soldiers would have been expected to have Irish accents anyway"

Are you not mixing up the Miami Showband massacre with the Kingsmill one - as the survivor from the Miami massacre made that allegation?

Del.Monte wrote: »
    @Adam9213

"One of the 11 people who was shot over ten times survived and claimed that the guy in charge spoke with an English accent, he wouldn't have had any reason to hide his accent seeing as though it was set up as UDA checkpoint and the soldiers would have been expected to have Irish accents anyway"

Are you not mixing up the Miami Showband massacre with the Kingsmill one - as the survivor from the Miami massacre made that allegation?

No definitely not.

Mystery remains over 'English' IRA man at centre of massacre
    Alan Murray
    August 22 2010 04:44 AM
    A TERRORIST with an English accent who halted the minibus carrying workmen massacred by the IRA at Kingsmill in 1976 has never been identified, the families of the victims have been told.

That's from the independent.

It's a theory in South Armagh among locals that the man with the English accent was captain Robert Nairac member of a top secret part of the British army, there's a lot of things to suggest he was involved in the Miami showband massacre and also the Dublin Monaghan bombings but no real evidence or credible claims he was involved in kingsmill it's just highly suspected by local people.

Advertisement