Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3v Card

• 27-06-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hey Boards.
    I recently got a bank of Ireland debit card, the only reason why I got it is so I can buy things online without having to use ma and da's card. But when I go to buy anything I can't I tried to buy a game and it wouldn't take the card, so I was considering getting a 3v i want to know if its a good idea or is it worth it
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

3v cards are awesome, you can only spend what you put on the card and not go crazy spending online with a credit card. Saved me hundreds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mark2229

3V cards are great. Just throw on the amount you want to spend and you'll never be able to buy impulse items. I use mine all the time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

3V are very out of date and there is no good reason why anyone should have one with O2 Money Card and with most banks having Visa Debit Cards.

Keep the Visa Debit Card just find out why your having trouble with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

McLoughlin wrote: »
    3V are very out of date and there is no good reason..

Depends on the trader. I'm quite happy using my AIB card with Amazon and PayPal.. not so with various Chinese sites and stand alone traders. 3V has its strenghts, 'throwaway card' etc.. though I do agree, it is rather naff, overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

I don't know if anyone of you is use steam or other games websites that is what I tried to buy things from in the past as well a green man gaming and it wouldn't let me I can't remember the reason that came up but will a 3v work on these websites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I have never had any problems using my debit card on (visa not lazer) on steam. You could always try paying with your card via paypal, it will cost you nothing extra.

I have also used both debit and 3v on green man with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I used to use 3v cards until I got my visa debit card. I am surprised that you are having hassle using your debit card. Have you activated it the way they tell you in the leaflet that comes with the card. Contact the Bank's customer service department and see what the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Hey Boards.
    I recently got a bank of Ireland debit card... But when I go to buy anything I can't I tried to buy a game and it wouldn't take the card

This is pretty common when you first get a new card with a new bank.

Usually the card will work fine in shops, but when you first buy something online the bank might flag it as unusual activity and hold any charges.

Usually, they ring you if there is an issue, but if your phone was off or you missed the call, no harm calling BoI and finding out why the card isn't working. If there is a block, they'll just verify that you were using it online etc and once OKed, you're good to go :)

It might happen a few more times if you use your card outside Ireland or suddenly buy something of high value - a quick call to the bank usually sorts it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

If you are using the 3V vouchers with PayPal though keep the same number and just transfer the money from the new card to your first card if you'r going to use it a lot. I used to use loads of them and got a new "slip of paper(new card)" every time. PayPal eventually found this strange and suspended my PayPal account as it looked like I was using a new credit card for every transaction. I guess it would look dodgy. You can transfer from one card to another card to keep using the same number one the 3V website.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Xzen wrote: »
    This is pretty common when you first get a new card with a new bank.

Usually the card will work fine in shops, but when you first buy something online the bank might flag it as unusual activity and hold any charges.

Usually, they ring you if there is an issue, but if your phone was off or you missed the call, no harm calling BoI and finding out why the card isn't working. If there is a block, they'll just verify that you were using it online etc and once OKed, you're good to go :)

It might happen a few more times if you use your card outside Ireland or suddenly buy something of high value - a quick call to the bank usually sorts it ;)

I went into the bank and because I am in secondary school and I have a secondary account and I am under eighteen so I can't use it online at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement