Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mobile Blockers

• 25-08-2008 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anybody ever get one of those mobile phone blockers?
    Did it work?
    I was thinking of getting a portable one for the train etc.
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hi,
    Anybody ever get one of those mobile phone blockers?
    Did it work?
    I was thinking of getting a portable one for the train etc.
    Regards

why, surely its not up to you to block peoples signal? if im correct in my assumption that that is what you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

why would you need a portable blocker , if you don't want to hear phones on trains then don't get the train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Surely it would be illegal to interfere with the signal in any way? Better option, buy headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Surely it would be illegal to interfere with the signal in any way? Better option, buy headphones.

You're all very PC. But you probably don't have to get the train every day :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Would Bose noise cancelling headphones not be a easier more legal option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Very PC indeed. My local cinema is blighted by the mobile phone brigade and the teenage staff are useless since the same group are their friends. But i do have a friend with one who i always invite and it does work... :D but you have to be sure it stops are freqs so you need to look into the various freqs of 3g etc but point of note... They are illegal, If caught you would be in trouble although im sure they would have to prove you were using it. It will also block calls to 999 etc. Not the best of ideas.. But how would they know what it is or even to look for when its pocket size.... In an ideal world people would not discuss the brutal gas the dinner last night gave them while sweating on you on the Luas but this is not that world. Sighhh....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no but i get the bus, which is worse, with 14 year old blaring out the latest ****e artist through loud speaker.

invest in some IEM earphones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You're all very PC. But you probably don't have to get the train every day :-)
    I get the bus. I know what its like. I wear headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

I have one. The peace and quite on the train, bus, eateries and cinema is so nice. Its got a range of about 60 ft so it takes out a whole bus or carraige. Never ever heard a phone ring or beep in the cinema since i used it. Often heard people say to their friends "have you a signal?" . It warms the cockles of my heart.

They only cost about €50 and you can order them off ebay.

I think this is outrageous myself.

i dont use my phone on buses or trains much if i can help it i dont like people listening to my business and feel very self concious doing it. but sometimes people do need to use their phones and do need to make important calls,

who is anyone to take into their own hands to prevent this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Cyrus wrote: »
    I think this is outrageous myself.

i dont use my phone on buses or trains much if i can help it i dont like people listening to my business and feel very self concious doing it. but sometimes people do need to use their phones and do need to make important calls,

Then leave the cinema or restaurant or get off the bus or train, or wait til the jammer battery runs out - they only last about an hour if you leave them on.

Just as people had to get used to others yapping too loudly on their phones when they wanted peace and quiet, you'll just have to get used not making calls when there is a jammer around. Several of my friends have them, they are getting very common. Sits in your pocket and switch it on. Nobody knows where it is.

Its also great fun playing games with it. turn it on when someone makes a call. They get cut off after about 20 seconds. Turn it off again. See how many times you can make them call back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Cyrus wrote: »

Where my brother lives in Italy, the cinema has mobile blockers installed and if you need to use your mobile then you have to go out to the front lobby.

I would agree with this kind of use but not on buses/trains etc as people could be missing urgents calls from family etc whereas when you're in the cinema you're meant to have your phone SWITCHED OFF in the first place !!

Also, someone mentioned blocking 999 calls but I always understood that you could make them even when you have no signal coverage (i.e. there is a very low signal strength reserved for 999 calls but this can't be used for normal calls)

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Then leave the cinema or restaurant or get off the bus or train, or wait til the jammer battery runs out - they only last about an hour if you leave them on.

Just as people had to get used to others yapping too loudly on their phones when they wanted peace and quiet, you'll just have to get used not making calls when there is a jammer around. Several of my friends have them, they are getting very common. Sits in your pocket and switch it on. Nobody knows where it is.

Its also great fun playing games with it. turn it on when someone makes a call. They get cut off after about 20 seconds. Turn it off again. See how many times you can make them call back :)

yeah sounds like great crack

hopefully you will be caught and arrested for this, im sure the police dont look too kindly on it or the emergency services

and what about all the people trying to work, use mobile internet, go through their emails on their blackberry etc, all inconvenienced by people like you

Where my brother lives in Italy, the cinema has mobile blockers installed and if you need to use your mobile then you have to go out to the front lobby.

I would agree with this kind of use but not on buses/trains etc as people could be missing urgents calls from family etc whereas when you're in the cinema you're meant to have your phone SWITCHED OFF in the first place !!

Also, someone mentioned blocking 999 calls but I always understood that you could make them even when you have no signal coverage (i.e. there is a very low signal strength reserved for 999 calls but this can't be used for normal calls)

thats totally fine, in fact its brilliant, they should do that here and in any restaurants that operate a no mobile policy, this is completely different however.

brilliant

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56932234#post56932234

this guy wants a booster for his house and to block other peoples signal when he is out and about :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    I have one. The peace and quite on the train, bus, eateries and cinema is so nice. Its got a range of about 60 ft so it takes out a whole bus or carraige. Never ever heard a phone ring or beep in the cinema since i used it. Often heard people say to their friends "have you a signal?" . It warms the cockles of my heart.

They only cost about €50 and you can order them off ebay.

hope it's working for you.And hope somebody is not trying to contact you with bad news like some loved one is seriously injured or DEAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I believe these are illegal in Ireland and as such cannot be discussed here.

Please feel free to PM me if this is incorrect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement