Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the Ian Wright/Patrick O'Brien situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

coinop wrote: »
    Is bullying a ginger a lesser crime than bullying an African?

Yup. Well, depending on the circumstances. The latter can be bullied because of racism. The former is bullied because of hair colour. One is protected by law, the other is shrugged off as 'life' (not much good telling that to a ginger kid who's being bullied simply because they're ginger).

The young lad, he's a racist dope, but then most racists are dopes anyway. He'll get the full force of the law here, to make an example I reckon.

Mental health shouldnt be used as a crutch to get out of anything...sick of that card being played as many people with mental health issues dont engage in this sort of behaviour or other nasty carry on

Yeah but if I didn't write that line which you and another poster are focusing on, I'd have the "You don't know, he could have mental health issues" responses.

Your fight isn't with me buddy. I agree, and I regret posting in this thread in the first place never mind writing that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Sentencing on this case is due today according to the wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I hope he's made an example of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I hope he's made an example of.

Me too but I doubt he will.
    Probably small suspended sentence and bound to the peace.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12 Fog Hat

A edgy kid who didn't realise the real world is not 4chan. He'll probably get a fine for racial hate which is appropriate.

Bit off putting the adults here who want to 'make an example' of him tbh.

Fog Hat wrote: »
    A edgy kid who didn't realise the real world is not 4chan. He'll probably get a fine for racial hate which is appropriate.

Bit off putting the adults here who want to 'make an example' of him tbh.

Bit off putting some adults here are apologists for this kind of behavior.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Fog Hat

Bit off putting some adults here are apologists for this kind of behavior.

Lad, do you have any idea what goes on on 4chan? Or even mainstream sites like youtube and twitter? Let's round up everyone who used a racial slur on the internet?

Drop the white saviour complex and think rationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

gmisk wrote: »
    He sent messages to Ian wright.
    Horrendous.
    Most of it will probably be starred out.

I know I'm not meant to look at them but these messages still hit me so hard man. This is a child!!! "You are a ****ing monkey", "**** coon monkey ******". Direct message to me from Patrick O'Brien on IG. This kid as a direct line into me & is able to send this without any worry. https://t.co/6noGvmkb4u

Glad O'Brien is being held to account by Ian Wright. Horrible racist language.

Fog Hat wrote: »
    Lad, do you have any idea what goes on on 4chan? Or even mainstream sites like youtube and twitter? Let's round up everyone who used a racial slur on the internet?

Drop the white saviour complex and think rationally.

You won't be around much longer, so little point engaging with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

The judge has postponed sentencing for 1 week to review the probation report that was presented in court

• Registered Users Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Can't believe people on this thread are trying to defend this kid. Wait no I can believe it on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the little brat got probation and ian wright not too pleased
    I wasn't expecting my forgiveness to be an invitation to lighten a sentence.

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2021/0203/1194820-ian-wright/

Very light sentence for the young man. I've seen how angry my nephews get when they play video games, but that's no excuse for the vile racism sent to Ian Wright. It does nothing to lessen the idea that there's a real undertone of racism towards minorities in this country. He should have been made an example of.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That's an absolutely shocking sentence. Can the DPP appeal against the leniency of a sentence when probation is given, or does that only apply to custodial sentences? The judge said "I don't see anything to be gained by imposing a criminal conviction." There's actually a huge amount to be gained. First, it shows that little scrote and others of his ilk that their actions have consequences, quite serious ones in some cases. And secondly it proves to the minority populations in this country that racism is taken seriously by the authorities. How many more cases of racist behaviour are now going to go unreported as a result of this judgement? This judge had a responsibility to do the right thing and he bottled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Goodigal

I think the sentence is appalling and a complete cop out by the judge. He should definitely have gotten a conviction and perhaps even a suspended sentence. But the Probation Act is embarrassing considering how high profile Ian Wright is and the level of threats made against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/no-grudges-ian-wright-forgives-133717748.html

Ian Wright is entitled to his opinion on the Irish legal system, but in the interest of balance, he must show some consistency himself

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

My thoughts are the sentence appropriate given the nature of the offence and current sentencing guidelines. I am however confused at the victims disappointment given he actually forgave the defendant whilst offering guidence on how to better himself.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Dempo1 wrote: »
    My thoughts are the sentence appropriate given the nature of the offence and current sentencing guidelines. I am however confused at the victims disappointment given he actually forgave the defendant whilst offering guidence on how to better himself.

Families that suffer a murder can learn to forgive , it doesn't mean they want the muderer back out on the street a few minutes later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

What a waste of time. For everyone.

What was Wright expecting? A custodial sentence for an 18 year kid for shooting his mouth on Instagram?

The dude was very rude.... and certainly very bold.... but I doubt Wright was up all night scared for his life or anything. Granted that the kid was very racist, but come on, sticks and stones might break my bones?

And yes I read the messages..... how utterly shocking ..... and disgusting.

But I am sure Wright heard it all before. Shame on him, wishing prison on an immature kid for shooting his mouth off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If it's any consolation, he'll be forever known as that racist cünt in his home town. His name online forever associated with it.

Ah dya remember yer man from...who..wait...that was YOU?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

How much is pocket money a week these days?

Noticed it was a kerry taxi picked him up, wouldn't be a cheap ride, or maybe a friend or family favour for the poor young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Adult teenager is what the news said, so he has to be 18 or 19. Old enough to know it's totally unacceptable.

He isn't old enough at all. He is a little kid, 18 doesn't make someone an adult, life experience does and this kid has had very little.. Living in his xBox world where he can't separate fantasy from reality.

It's a Societal problem. Ignorance and poor parenting style........ In Ireland parents don't even sit their kids down to talk about sex! let alone lecture their kids about abusing others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

If it's any consolation, he'll be forever known as that racist cünt in his home town. His name online forever associated with it.

Ah dya remember yer man from...who..wait...that was YOU?!

Perhaps but I'd say there is a fair few that think he is a legend mad lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

The article reads like this guy isn't too bright.

A fair few little ****heads with nasty attitudes like his around I'd say tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Your Face wrote: »
    Perhaps but I'd say there is a fair few that think he is a legend mad lad.

Covering his head in shame from the cameras at the courthouse. Legend alright. Lol.
    Hope it follows him around like a bad smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Did people honestly think he deserved a custodial sentence for this? The amount of violent criminals that walk free with dozens of offences and
    is that this guys 1st offence?

Fine, community service, sensitivity training- go nuts,

but banged up? get real

Edit: not defending the guy or his action but there seems to be a serious lack of perspective here.

It's OK to be racist as long as you make a heartfelt apology most probably written up by your parents some wet Sunday afternoon and then make a donation of 500 quid, again, most certainly courtesy of mammy and daddy.

This "kid"/"dude" is a grown ****ing adult who should have been made an example of. Couple months on the inside would do him no harm sure. It is a hate crime after all.

He certainly wouldn't dare be racist again I'm guessing. But he might chance it again sometime down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    What a waste of time. For everyone.

What was Wright expecting? A custodial sentence for an 18 year kid for shooting his mouth on Instagram?

The dude was very rude.... and certainly very bold.... but I doubt Wright was up all night scared for his life or anything. Granted that the kid was very racist, but come on, sticks and stones might break my bones?

And yes I read the messages..... how utterly shocking ..... and disgusting.

But I am sure Wright heard it all before. Shame on him, wishing prison on an immature kid for shooting his mouth off.

Idiot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Idiot

:D

Advertisement