Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most miserable trad song ever.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Any of the mother songs.
    Gentle mother.
    Mother Machree.
    A mothers loves a blessing.

Any doomed young rebel ones.
    Kevin Barry.
    Shanagolden.etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Penned by Gordon Lightfoot about a Great Lakes freighter that sunk in a storm on Lake Superior in November 1975 with the loss of all 29 crew.
    This version by Brian Burns is more poignant as he lists the names of the crew at the end.

"And the church bell chimed till it rang 29 times for each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

That went right over you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

fryup wrote: »
    the spuds aren't looking the best

:pac::pac::pac:
    Sorry, I only got as far as "I'm known as young Flynner" before I cracked up.

what rhymes with 'blight' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Penned by Gordon Lightfoot about a Great Lakes freighter that sunk in a storm on Lake Superior in November 1975 with the loss of all 29 crew.
    This version by Brian Burns is more poignant as he lists the names of the crew at the end.

"And the church bell chimed till it rang 29 times for each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald."

Christy Moore borrowed the main melody for his Back Home in Derry song.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

Christy Moore borrowed the main melody for his Back Home in Derry song.

That was written by Bobby Sands in the H blocks.

Understandable to have some miserable qualities with that setting. Good song though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

chosen1 wrote: »
    That was written by Bobby Sands in the H blocks.

Understandable to have some miserable qualities with that setting. Good song though.

He wrote Mclhatton as well, not as miserable - a celebration of Irelands' enduring battle with ..... alcohol withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

All of those songs are depressing ****e. My mother took up guitar a few years back and is always onto me to go their music sessions even though its Iron Maiden and rock I play.
    I'd much rather eat glass and **** it out than listen to that depressing ****e " mary went walking one day , and then she died., and her children died, and their father died" and then I ****in died thank christ from listening to that rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Blazer wrote: »
    All of those songs are depressing ****e. My mother took up guitar a few years back and is always onto me to go their music sessions even though its Iron Maiden and rock I play.
    I'd much rather eat glass and **** it out than listen to that depressing ****e " mary went walking one day , and then she died., and her children died, and their father died" and then I ****in died thank christ from listening to that rubbish.

You are just a walking expletive aren't you?

Wash out your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It’s got to be the “Death, Death, Death” song from Cheers:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not quite trad but Irish and miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The fields of Athenry, especially when sung by the " best supporters in the world"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Edgware wrote: »
    The fields of Athenry, especially when sung by the " best supporters in the world"

Munster rugby supporters?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Edgware wrote: »

Unbearable when sung/shouted out by people without a note in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Munster rugby supporters?

no sell'thick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

"Nobodies Child"..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Stunning song - but as opening lines go.

Sorrow and sadness.
    bitterness grief.
    Memories I have of you.
    wont leave me in peace.

It also has a personal impact - as I spent time with both my mum and dad in the West Coast of Clare - so fairly personally impactful.

What a song. Haven't listened to it in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

What's that one that Celtic fans hum, there's no words, but God it's dreary.

Advertisement