Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im looking to make a kitchen table hopefully out of a single slab of wood from a tree with a nice grain, approx 1m wide by 2m long and a few inches thick. Is that something that sawmills do or is it more a tree surgeon that I need to find? Have tried Clonee sawmills but its not something they carry.

Also in terms of the grain is it potluck on what trees they are cutting or is this something they might have in stock where you have a choice of a few options? Have no ideas what way tree surgeons or sawmills work.

I did pretty much this at Xmas this year. Bought two ash slabs off a timber Miller in Tipperary, 8’x3’, 3” thick. Slabs were €100 each, had been air drying a year or two. Prob cost me €500 including metal for legs, small bit epoxy and finish coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could get a solid wood countertop in or around the Dublin area? I know of woodworkers.ie but my Google-fu is failing me in finding others. It's just going to be used to make an office desk.

I use Hearts Wood Heritage, based just near Naas in Kildare. Dara is the man there and he's great. He'll go through all the types of wood he has, discuss what you're looking for, show you the slabs and everything so you can pick out what you want with the character you like and work within your budget. Honestly, he's great. I got a slab of Beech for my kitchen table and another near end slab which I've turned into a bench.
    I'm also picking up random small live edge pieces up off him this weekend to turn into shelves.
    He kiln dries the wood which really helps.

http://heartswoodheritage.ie/shop/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not the usual sort of question about wood supplies here - does anyone know of a supplier of materials suitable for building a low wattle fence for a raised veg bed? or if anyone has tried it and has and dos and dont's.
    i.e. i'd be looking for maybe 40 stakes up to two foot long each to be driven into the ground, probably a foot or so apart, and probably a load of hazel rods to weave between them.
    rustic is obviously fine, and i do appreciate i'd have to replace it every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

bamayang wrote: »
    I did pretty much this at Xmas this year. Bought two ash slabs off a timber Miller in Tipperary, 8’x3’, 3” thick. Slabs were €100 each, had been air drying a year or two. Prob cost me €500 including metal for legs, small bit epoxy and finish coat.

cheers thanks,thats exactly my line of thinking too. Had been looking around the usual shops for kitchen tables and theres nothing decent without spending big money so thought to make one instead. Hoping I can bring it in for less than 500 or 600 and a bit of work and end up with something unique.

How did the epoxy work out for you? Was looking at a few youtube videos the other night where people make 'river tables' with dyed epoxy running down the middle. Looks interesting but was wondering does epoxy stand up to a lot of hard use or does it get scratched over time? Im interesting in the idea of using it but also want this table to last decades and still look in good condition years from now.

Epoxy is very scary to go at at first, but really its pretty straightforward. John McGrath on youtube did a good video on it recently, where he covered a lot of detail and risks.
    I only have it at one end of the table, and i never sit at that end, so it isnt in constant use. But over last 6 months its still scratchless. It dulls a little but still looks good.
    I wouldnt be a fan of the river or coloured epoxy tables at all, i think they're a little bit of a fad that will date quite quickly. I just used enough to fill a few holes/cracks.

Below is the table, two epoxy pours about a pint of material each at the near end (clear).

Yi0bvuJ.jpg

• Advertisement

wow that looks gorgeous, great job. Can I ask where you got the legs as they're simialar to what I was going to source, lots available online but I want to try get something that is heavy duty. And how much were they?

I completely get what you're saying about epoxy tables being a bit of a fad. Im in two minds in that some examples you see online look fantastic but I wonder how they would look in 10 years time. Im kind of conflicted on going the epoxy route or just getting a plain slab and working with that.

Aside from the epoxy dulling a bit would you say it is scratchable with use over time? Its not like Id be jumping up and down it but just unsure of how durable epoxy actually is. Im not planning on replacing this table so want to get it right first time.

Ah no I would say its very hard wearing. However if you have any little people in your life, they might take a knife or fork to it someday while waiting for dinner, and it wont put up with that. It is as hard wearing as timber, probably harder, but much more visible if someone does put a scratch in it.

I made the legs myself, bought 100mm x 50mm box and 100mm x 10mm flat iron. The steel prob cost around €200. Id imagine they would be 3-400 to buy fabricated. I wouldnt buy them online personally, any decent quality ones are going to be expensive and shipping will be a disaster. If you cant make your own, google your nearest steel fabricator and give them a bell, it'd be a few hours work for a good fabricator, and theyd be happy with a simple little cash job.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can I ask where ye got the light bamayang? :D

Table is lovely!

bamayang wrote: »
    Ah no I would say its very hard wearing. However if you have any little people in your life, they might take a knife or fork to it someday while waiting for dinner, and it wont put up with that. It is as hard wearing as timber, probably harder, but much more visible if someone does put a scratch in it.

Thats good to know that its hard wearing. Just got to make a decision on whether or not it is too fad-ish as I want it to last a long time. A regular table made of slab like your own feels more timeless as such. But I do like the bright turquoise/blue colours in epoxy tables and it looks great up against live edges. Decisions, decisions...
    I made the legs myself, bought 100mm x 50mm box and 100mm x 10mm flat iron. The steel prob cost around €200. Id imagine they would be 3-400 to buy fabricated. I wouldnt buy them online personally, any decent quality ones are going to be expensive and shipping will be a disaster. If you cant make your own, google your nearest steel fabricator and give them a bell, it'd be a few hours work for a good fabricator, and theyd be happy with a simple little cash job.

Yeah was dubious about buying them online as you dont really know what you're getting till they arrive and then sending them back is costly if it needs to be done. Have a fabricator up the road so will see what he could do.

awec wrote: »
    Can I ask where ye got the light bamayang? :D

Table is lovely!

Something like “light solutions” in portlaoise. It’s on the Kilenard road out of portaoise. Really nice place.

Edit: “Design options” I was way off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Found a new supplier for my blanks for woodturning.

And he lives less than 3 mile from me, and never knew he was there:)

Great selection of all native timbers, spalted as well. Bought myself some
    monkey puzzle blanks 15x3 1/2 .
    And a nice 4'x 14 x 4" of spalted sycamore.

Price is very reasonable I thought 80 euro the lot, and its good quality stuff.

Also going back to look at the breaking cut of a 6' length of spalted sycamore.
    And if its good, which I suspect it will be, a 5" thick slab will be about 145 euro.

Good knowledgeable young chap...............

He is on adverts under Irish Timber Slabs., and situated in Dysart, Westmeath

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers - this seems to be the chap:

https://www.adverts.ie/member/1455955

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Sorry lads, its this guy I meant,

https://www.adverts.ie/member/1455955

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

junior cert project time :

my son has a design for a side table that he is really stuck on, but i suspect his dimensions won't make it easy to source the timber.

he needs

1 board of Ash - 350mm deep, 1150 long and 25mm thick
    1 board of Walnut - 350mm x 750mm x 25mm
    (finished dimensions)

any recommendations/suggestions greatly appreciated....

ablelocks wrote: »

my son has a design for a side table that he is really stuck on, but i suspect his dimensions won't make it easy to source the timber.

he needs

(finished dimensions)

Where are you based?' BTW the last time I looked at getting walnut it was very expensive so be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

he needs

(finished dimensions)

The thickness is the problem. We still sell hardwoods in one or two inch thick boards so to end up with 25 mm you would have to buy two inch ( 50 mm ) stock and plane it down with a planer - a terrible waste of timber ! You can get ash and walnut faced MDF but to my knowledge it is all 18mm thick. I think even a seasoned woodworker would look to veneering a ply or MDF core to get those dimensions. Does the teacher have any ideas about sourcing materials. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

he needs

(finished dimensions)

Hi, contact Dara or his wife here:

Or you can find them on facebook and message them or their number should be there too.

They'll work with you to see what they have and work within your budget. I can't recommend them highly enough. Based on the Naas side of Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Where are you based?' BTW the last time I looked at getting walnut it was very expensive so be warned.

near limerick, McMahons was recommended by a furniture maker....he said they'd be very obliging about cutting to sizes......
    recipio wrote: »
    The thickness is the problem. We still sell hardwoods in one or two inch thick boards so to end up with 25 mm you would have to buy two inch ( 50 mm ) stock and plane it down with a planer - a terrible waste of timber ! You can get ash and walnut faced MDF but to my knowledge it is all 18mm thick. I think even a seasoned woodworker would look to veneering a ply or MDF core to get those dimensions. Does the teacher have any ideas about sourcing materials. ?

...but i don't think he heard the thickness, so not sure if they'll be able to supply. The Teacher? Said "any wood shop"....

I was thinking the thickness might be an issue alright.
    Hi, contact Dara or his wife here:

Or you can find them on facebook and message them or their number should be there too.

They'll work with you to see what they have and work within your budget. I can't recommend them highly enough. Based on the Naas side of Kildare

thanks for that, I wouldn't mind a trip to kildare! - will try them if i don't get anywhere locally.

near limerick, McMahons was recommended by a furniture maker....he said they'd be very obliging about cutting to sizes......

Haven't used them personally but a friend in Tipp used to buy some pieces from
    http://www.dinantimber.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Try Willie Crowley in Quin Co Clare. www.crowleyhardwoods.com You might get lucky and find 27 -28 mm stock sold as 'one inch' He encourages phone calls and is not great with online contact. You would also do well to find 250 mm wide boards so your son may have to join two together if he uses solid wood.If the thickness could be reduced to 22m you would have no problem finding 25 mm planks in the rough. Access to a planer /thicknesser would make life a lot easier,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 wartotojas

Hi all,

looking to build a pergola and can't seem to find 6"x6" posts, I have only seen 6x6 fence post which are 2.4m long, since I will be concreting them into the ground - that's too short.

Anyone know where to source 6"x6" pressure treated timber at least at 3.6m lengths?
    Based in Westmeath/Meath border - the closer the better.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

wartotojas wrote: »
    Hi all,

looking to build a pergola and can't seem to find 6"x6" posts, I have only seen 6x6 fence post which are 2.4m long, since I will be concreting them into the ground - that's too short.

Anyone know where to source 6"x6" pressure treated timber at least at 3.6m lengths?
    Based in Westmeath/Meath border - the closer the better.

Many thanks

Don't concrete posts into the ground, they will rot, it's better to fix them onto concrete using brackets and keeping them slightly above the concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭waterboy15

Don't concrete posts into the ground, they will rot, it's better to fix them onto concrete using brackets and keeping them slightly above the concrete

thanks for advise, I have seen fence post that were concreted in removed after 7-8 years with no rot, but might be pure luck.

I have no solid/flat surface to attach post supports, so might end up using concrete-in post supports (sorry cant post links or images).

but need to look around to find something suitable for 6"x6"s, and still need to find a supplier stocking posts themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭waterboy15

waterboy15 wrote: »
    Or these with 2 slots ripped in the post to hide the bracket

thanks waterboy15, I was able to find same type holders suitable for 150mm (6") posts. may end up using them. just need to find posts now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

thanks for advise, I have seen fence post that were concreted in removed after 7-8 years with no rot, but might be pure luck.

I have no solid/flat surface to attach post supports, so might end up using concrete-in post supports (sorry cant post links or images).

but need to look around to find something suitable for 6"x6"s, and still need to find a supplier stocking posts themselves.

Greetings, in my humble opinion, posts are best set in holes, set a large round stone in the bottom of the hole to sit the post on, and fill the hole with well rammed crushed stone or pit run gravel to secure the post. Most posts fail at ground level from stress failure. The problem lies in the abrupt transition from continually wet ground and the rest of the post in the air which is subjected to wetting and drying cycles over the seasons, wood expansion and contraction provides the stress which is of course concentrated where the post meets the ground. (this is why pressure treated posts fail whilst the top wood is still good) A well drained well rammed gravel fixing will greatly increase the lifetime of any post. A Kango Hammer and an old bit with a small flat welded on the end makes a GREAT rammer for this job If you are not in too much of a hurry for your posts, I'll be thinning some larch in our forest in a month or so and could run you off a few 5 or 6"square larch posts on the sawmill. best send me a pm if you are interested tim I should add of course that a post that is secured to a concrete base by a metal bracket and not in contact with the ground will last the best of all, apologies I should have read further up the thread before replying. tim

Greetings, in my humble opinion, posts are best set in holes, set a large round stone in the bottom of the hole to sit the post on, and fill the hole with well rammed crushed stone or pit run gravel to secure the post. Most posts fail at ground level from stress failure. The problem lies in the abrupt transition from continually wet ground and the rest of the post in the air which is subjected to wetting and drying cycles over the seasons, wood expansion and contraction provides the stress which is of course concentrated where the post meets the ground. (this is why pressure treated posts fail whilst the top wood is still good) A well drained well rammed gravel fixing will greatly increase the lifetime of any post. A Kango Hammer and an old bit with a small flat welded on the end makes a GREAT rammer for this job If you are not in too much of a hurry for your posts, I'll be thinning some larch in our forest in a month or so and could run you off a few 5 or 6"square larch posts on the sawmill. best send me a pm if you are interested tim I should add of course that a post that is secured to a concrete base by a metal bracket and not in contact with the ground will last the best of all, apologies I should have read further up the thread before replying. tim

Thanks Tim, will be in touch.

In a meantime, Crowes Sawmills Ltd confirmed they have 3.6m 145x145mm Douglas Fir in Stock PAO

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Thanks Tim, will be in touch.

In a meantime, Crowes Sawmills Ltd confirmed they have 3.6m 145x145mm Douglas Fir in Stock PAO

You should buy it from Crowes so, the douglas fir will be lovely. best of luck with the build. tim

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Anyone able to recommend a place that might supply cedar or acacia planed timber for an outdoor furniture project. Ideally in Dublin/North Leinster.

Need a variety from 2x1 up to 4x4 in 8ft or 16ft lengths. Most googling gives me places only of use if you're building a deck.

Advertisement