Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Just when you though a barstooler couldn't possibly come out with something even more ignorant of football culture then there is this. Staggering. But keep digging :D

What does football culture mean to you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Remarkable coming from a Dundalk fan really. And we never murdered anybody.

Just when you though a barstooler couldn't possibly come out with something even more ignorant of football culture then there is this. Staggering. But keep digging :D

If you ask 1000 League of Ireland fans who Irelands Shame are, Most will say Rovers (FACT)

If you ask 1000 League of Ireland fans who Irelands Shame are, Most will say Rovers (FACT)

I think most would say the FAI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I did say the word maybe and there's nothing ignorant about what I said, Im just able to see the bigger picture, your perspective of disliking the EPL makes it hard for you to see things from an EPL fans perspective. I hate to break it to you but the Irish league needs more EPL fans like me to go to more Irish league matches.

As someone who has been to live matches I understand that cheering on your team live is more involving and enjoying a live match makes you want to go to another live match. I've enjoyed banter in a pub after St pats matches before and I will go to a live Airtricity match again in the future

I asked a Tallaght man before why he didnt go to a Rovers game when he follows the EPL and he said he'd feel werid as he didnt know any players and wouldnt understand any of the chants so wouldnt know what's going on.. now in this situation its better to explain that you dont need to know this info as its best to pick it up as you go along rather then just looking down on the EPL fan for not knowing better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Sound like a broken record and I know it's in one ear out the other but I'll say it again. You can do both. Nobody is saying burn all your Liverpool or whoever stuff and go out and buy all new stuff from a loi club people are just saying to give your loi club a fighting chance, instead of 7 trips to England whay not do 6 and go to 10 loi games too, it'll cost the same. Don't confuse, deliberately or otherwise peoples dismay at you being able to have a connection with a club in a different country but not with a club down the road with saying cut off all contact with the EPL because that's not what they're saying.

And people who say they don't go to games because they don't know the players are lying definitely to you and potentially to themselves because that's just a load of **** to make them not seem as bad because they can't come up with a legitimate reason not to go other than they've been brainwashed by the supurb EPL and champions league marketing to think all other football isn't worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Sound like a broken record and I know it's in one ear out the other but I'll say it again. You can do both. Nobody is saying burn all your Liverpool or whoever stuff and go out and buy all new stuff from a loi club people are just saying to give your loi club a fighting chance, instead of 7 trips to England whay not do 6 and go to 10 loi games too, it'll cost the same.

With myself anyway it's laziness but I'm going to go to an Airtricity league game soon.

Sound like a broken record and I know it's in one ear out the other but I'll say it again. You can do both. Nobody is saying burn all your Liverpool or whoever stuff and go out and buy all new stuff from a loi club people are just saying to give your loi club a fighting chance, instead of 7 trips to England whay not do 6 and go to 10 loi games too, it'll cost the same. Don't confuse, deliberately or otherwise peoples dismay at you being able to have a connection with a club in a different country but not with a club down the road with saying cut off all contact with the EPL because that's not what they're saying.

And people who say they don't go to games because they don't know the players are lying definitely to you and potentially to themselves because that's just a load of **** to make them not seem as bad because they can't come up with a legitimate reason not to go other than they've been brainwashed by the supurb EPL and champions league marketing to think all other football isn't worth it.

Many of us do go to both and have said so multiple times on this thread. Doesn't mean we consider ourselves a fan of a team here just that we enjoy going to see live football locally. But it's no replacement for your actual team and as I've said I'll watch my team on tv 100 times out of 100 over a local team live. Luckily it never really clashes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

8-10 wrote: »
    What does football culture mean to you?

Going to games like most real fans.

Jealousy maxi.

Greyfox wrote: »
    I did say the word maybe and there's nothing ignorant about what I said, Im just able to see the bigger picture, your perspective of disliking the EPL makes it hard for you to see things from an EPL fans perspective. I hate to break it to you but the Irish league needs more EPL fans like me to go to more Irish league matches.

As someone who has been to live matches I understand that cheering on your team live is more involving and enjoying a live match makes you want to go to another live match. I've enjoyed banter in a pub after St pats matches before and I will go to a live Airtricity match again in the future

I asked a Tallaght man before why he didnt go to a Rovers game when he follows the EPL and he said he'd feel werid as he didnt know any players and wouldnt understand any of the chants so wouldnt know what's going on.. now in this situation its better to explain that you dont need to know this info as its best to pick it up as you go along rather then just looking down on the EPL fan for not knowing better

I hate to break to you but the Irish League is up north. I love all football and have been to games in all 4 divisions in ingerland. You know mixing with real fans.:p

Going to games like most real fans.

I go to games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

In the bar for the bohs and Chelsea game.

There is something inherently wrong with someone with a Dublin accent wearing a Chelsea Jersey to this.

• Advertisement

In the bar for the bohs and Chelsea game.

There is something inherently wrong with someone with a Dublin accent wearing a Chelsea Jersey to this.

Should all Dubliners support Bohs?

I know a good few Chelsea fans from here. There’s zero wrong with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

With myself anyway it's laziness but I'm going to go to an Airtricity league game soon.

I commend your honesty. A lot of the reason people won't give local football a try in my view is that it takes effort. I'll try to be equally honest, I'm lucky enough to live quite close to my team (10 minute bus ride) If it was further away would I still go ? I'd like to say yes, but I really dont know. What I can say with certainty is that I could never follow the fortunes of an English team again.

The other thing I'd say is that going to a game here and there probably won't get you hooked. However, if you start to go regularly I'd say you could surprise yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Should all Dubliners support Bohs?

I know a good few Chelsea fans from here. There’s zero wrong with it

Chelsea is probably the one club an Irish man shouldn't gravitate to.

Exactly.

Anyway. Since it was a money spinner it was mostly Chelsea fans. They did not make a sound. Just polite claps.

Saw a lad who has his spot every week get kicked from his spot by a family all decked out in Chelsea gear. Even though that lad is a prick it just wasn't right.

Exactly.

Anyway. Since it was a money spinner it was mostly Chelsea fans. They did not make a sound. Just polite claps.

Saw a lad who has his spot every week get kicked from his spot by a family all decked out in Chelsea gear. Even though that lad is a prick it just wasn't right.

Omackeral wrote: »

There's literally no rules about who anybody of any nationality can support or not.

Those Chelsea fans turned up at a LOI ground and paid their money towards that local club. And people still complain about it and say they shouldn't be supporting them

There's literally no rules about who anybody of any nationality can support or not.

Those Chelsea fans turned up at a LOI ground and paid their money towards that local club. And people still complain about it and say they shouldn't be supporting them

Well you've taken me up wrong for starters. I'm saying it's my opinion that an Irish person supporting Chelsea is not very palatable. It's grand if you're just watching telly or whatever but there's a very anti-Irish under current at that club throughout the years. Was many of their mob that wrecked Landsdowne Road in '95. They've been aligned to Rangers and Linfield in the past as a the lovely Blues Brothers. Your casual Match of the Day fan probably wouldn't be aware of that. A simple Google image of will show you more than enough.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrvFDCxOdL7n_ffyjweLF7wBuspaxxOj9JBta6C5nagFkML_wK

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Agree, big wanker element in their support, a lot of right-wingers and another fringe who link themselves with Rangers and Linfield attracted by the macho image and posturing that Loyalism is steeped in, Arsenal are really the Irish club in London, loads of first and second generation Irish from Camden, Islington and Finsbury Park supported them, half of their team in the late 70's/early 80's were Irish.

These Chelsea fans will never have what we habe

After tonight's it's my main come away. Chelsea players walked off and said nothing while the bohs players clapped the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭pgj2015

trashcan wrote: »
    I commend your honesty. A lot of the reason people won't give local football a try in my view is that it takes effort. I'll try to be equally honest, I'm lucky enough to live quite close to my team (10 minute bus ride) If it was further away would I still go ? I'd like to say yes, but I really dont know. What I can say with certainty is that I could never follow the fortunes of an English team again.

The other thing I'd say is that going to a game here and there probably won't get you hooked. However, if you start to go regularly I'd say you could surprise yourself.

I drive 2 and a half hours to watch my loi team, im not even from the town. got hooked after the first game i went to. i dont support my local loi team but at least i support an Irish team.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Cork 2-0 down at home to a team from Luxembourg, embarrassing. Guess there will be no Rangers game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Cork 2-0 down at home to a team from Luxembourg, embarrassing. Guess there will be no Rangers game.

They're really falling apart this year, **** football and **** attendences compared to the last 5 years or so. The wheels have fallen off the langer bandwagon.

I said ages ago people supported English teams because it was easy and it was denied but there it is from the horses mouth

Rovers with a very credible 2-2 away in Norway though. Cork are a shadow of themselves.

I said ages ago people supported English teams because it was easy and it was denied but there it is from the horses mouth

Many people have said it. I said here multiple times it's because I can watch all games on TV. Home and away, whatever competition.

I'm sitting in my living room now watching Liverpool play a preseason game away from home on LFC TV

You don't have that with Irish teams

Many people have said it. I said here multiple times it's because I can watch all games on TV. Home and away, whatever competition.

I'm sitting in my living room now watching Liverpool play a preseason game away from home on LFC TV

You don't have that with Irish teams

And as multiple people have said its sad that that's a condition people have to support a team. And if loi clubs got more support you'd be able to do the same.

And as multiple people have said its sad that that's a condition people have to support a team. And if loi clubs got more support you'd be able to do the same.

No it wasn't a condition. There was no internet or streams of pre season games or even coverage of live league games when I became a fan.

But it doesn't half make it easier and it's brought me much closer to the team. These days I cant imagine supporting a team and not watching every single game.

It's sad that some fans don't get to see every game that their team plays live

It's sad that some people have never seen their team actually play. As in physically see them.

It's sad that some people have never seen their team actually play. As in physically see them.

Yep also sad. I guess we're the lucky ones who experience both

• Advertisement

No it wasn't a condition. There was no internet or streams of pre season games or even coverage of live league games when I became a fan.

But it doesn't half make it easier and it's brought me much closer to the team. These days I cant imagine supporting a team and not watching every single game.

I said here multiple times it's because I can watch all games on TV. Home and away, whatever competition.

You're saying two different things now.

I can 100% guarantee you that seeing the players in person every week, seeing them walk around town, knowing they're from around the same area as you trumps that closeness you feel by being able to watch them on a screen a thousand times over.

Advertisement