Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Film Awards - Results

• 02-03-2020 5:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Yikes, is it that bloody time of the year again already?!

Yes. Yes it is.

The Oscars are done. Most of the big name films of 2019 have shown up on Irish screens (belatedly in some cases, but they're there now). It's time for all you boardsies to have your say on your favourites!

For those who don't know how this works: nomination threads go up in two batches over the next week or two in the dedicated Film Awards forum. Once the nominations are in, the films that make the cut go forward for a final votes, and one shall emerge victorious! Unless there's a tie, in which case two films shall emerge victorious! Or three, maybe, if you're a really indecisive bunch. Basically, at least one film shall emerge victorious.

So the first step is, of course, nominating your films of choice! The first batch of threads is up now - covering the likes of Best Director, Best Scene and Best Actor / Actress. We'll bump this thread when the next ones are up, and a few times to remind you to nominate away :)

Go nominate! https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=480

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Will get on that. Didn't even notice this thread, maybe it's just me but my brain almost never notices stickies. Wonder if this should be listed in the main flow instead?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I never know with stickies - I usually navigate via the new posts in subscribed forums on the home page, so never sure how others read *shrugs*

I’ve unstickied for now anyway :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fair enough; it's just 'cos Stickies' visibility is kinda weird on the non-desktop sites, so not sure people will actually see it!

Added my own votes; I presume films on Streaming sites are valid, given the caveats mentions "Irish cinemas..." :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to clear up something asked in one of the nomination threads: please do nominate films that have already been nominated! The choices with most nominations in each category will make the final vote :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Second and final batch of nomination threads is up now!

• Advertisement

Man, these awards always shine a light on just how little Irish cinema I actually watch throughout the year. 1 film, and that was only 'cos it looked suitably offbeat, quirky and "genre" enough to make me interested in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,330 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Second and final batch of nomination threads is up now!

I must get on the first batch of nominations :o

Reminder to get your nominations if you haven’t already :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=480

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can we nominate Netflix/Amazon movies or is it cinema only?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ShaneU wrote: »
    Can we nominate Netflix/Amazon movies or is it cinema only?

As long as they are films, yes.

• Advertisement

Hey folks, real world events have soorrtttaaa gotten away from us, but if you need a brief distraction do take the time to nominate your favourite films, performances, scenes, directors, scores etc... for this year’s awards.

We’ll close off nominations in a day or two, but in the meantime stay safe in these strange times - and hopefully watch lots of great movies while the pubs are closed. Hopefully the nominations so far can give you some recommendations :)

https://touch.boards.ie/forum/480

Last chance to nominate folks. We'll close threads tomorrow.

Obviously as mentioned RL got in the way of this, but I'm curious what the results were in the end :D

Been delayed for the aforementioned external priorities and circumstances, but will look at getting the nominations counted up in the coming days :)

Better late than never! We have counted the nominations, and now it’s time for you all to vote :)

Please cast your votes here: https://bit.ly/3cNJM6R

Thanks as ever to Mr E for his help putting the voting together!

Apologies for the delay with this but we didn’t factor the world shutting down into our awards schedule ;)

Last day to vote, folks - make your choices if you haven’t already :)

And the results are out! Our many thanks as always to Mr E for the poll, and of course to everyone who participated. Feel free to post your thoughts/comments below.

Best Hollywood / Blockbuster Film
    Knives Out

Best Indie / Arthouse Film
    Uncut Gems

Best Foreign Language Film
    Parasite

Best Dumb Fun
    Avengers: Endgame

Best Actor
    Joaquin Phoenix - Joker

Best Actress
    Ana DeArmas - Knives Out (tie)
    Cho Yeo-jeong - Parasite (tie)

Best Director
    Bong Joon-ho - Parasite

Best Newcomer (directing)
    Olivia Wilde - Booksmart

Best Newcomer (acting)
    Julia Butters - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Best Screenplay
    Knives Out

Best Scene
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Visiting the Manson ranch

Film with the Best Visuals
    Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Best Soundtrack
    Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Film that Deserved Better
    Knives Out

Best Documentary Film
    Apollo 11 (tie)
    Diego Maradona (tie)

Best Irish Film
    Extra Ordinary

Best Animated Film
    Klaus (tie)
    Toy Story 4 (tie)

Can't disagree with any of those; though every year I'm reminded how little Irish cinema I watch - and how little of it is worth watching.

Thanks for putting it together mods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The awards next year will be very interesting? Could be a very shallow pool to choose from.

True: by and large this is shaping up to be the Year That Never Was :(

Maybe we should start a new one: Best Film of the Lockdown? I bet there's a bunch of stuff people have watched they otherwise wouldn't have stopped for :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Jeez, completely missed the vote after contributing to the nominations:(

Suppose that's the result of not visiting this forum as much since the virus has stalled the film industry.

Advertisement