Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing
    ZsNosb9.jpg
    As this is my last pic of this great forum thanks everyone for all the great comments over the last 3 and half years looking forward to the next big road project yours m17

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Next big road project **cough** N5 Westport Turlough **cough cough**
    m17 wrote: »
    As this is my last pic of this great forum thanks everyone for all the great comments over the last 3 and half years looking forward to the next big road project yours m17

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The stats
    tNT4m8L.jpg

VmyyMIM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

My regular Cork - Wexford journey is 2:20 to 2:40. Early (07:00) on a very quiet weekend morning, I have done it in 2:00.

Yesterday afternoon I did it in 2:05 - and that included a quick pit-stop in Lemybrien.

The New Ross bypass is a very welcome development!

I also noticed that the road from the New Ross end of the Waterford Bypass to Glenmore is quite wide and would be (relatively) easy to convert to DC - it's about 10km. Unfortunately, I suspect that may not happen for min. 10 yrs - ah well....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

blindsider wrote: »
    My regular Cork - Wexford journey is 2:20 to 2:40. Early (07:00) on a very quiet weekend morning, I have done it in 2:00.

Yesterday afternoon I did it in 2:05 - and that included a quick pit-stop in Lemybrien.

The New Ross bypass is a very welcome development!

I also noticed that the road from the New Ross end of the Waterford Bypass to Glenmore is quite wide and would be (relatively) easy to convert to DC - it's about 10km. Unfortunately, I suspect that may not happen for min. 10 yrs - ah well....

It is indeed a very welcome development. It has made my travel a little less arduous. Regarding the Glenmore to Luffany road...that is back on the agenda and iv read and it has been mentioned here that it will more than likely be 2024 before it starts.

One thing i have noticed though and it annoys me sometimes is how people merge onto the Glenmore road from the Bridge road....they move out to the overtaking lane when there is no need. The exit road seamlessly becomes the Glenmore road so there is no need to move out. Usually they are crawling along when they do this which slows the traffic down. Idiots :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭CoBo55

alta stare wrote: »
    It is indeed a very welcome development. It has made my travel a little less arduous. Regarding the Glenmore to Luffany road...that is back on the agenda and iv read and it has been mentioned here that it will more than likely be 2024 before it starts.

One thing i have noticed though and it annoys me sometimes is how people merge onto the Glenmore road from the Bridge road....they move out to the overtaking lane when there is no need. The exit road seamlessly becomes the Glenmore road so there is no need to move out. Usually they are crawling along when they do this which slows the traffic down. Idiots :D

Santa Fe syndrome I call it... Every fcukin time it's mom in the Santa Fe..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭SeanW

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Santa Fe syndrome I call it... Every fcukin time it's mom in the Santa Fe..
    :confused::confused::confused:

Care to translate that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

...I presume a Hyundai Santa Fe...?

People are not looking at the road carefully enough to realise that it's not a standard "Merge and move right" scenario - it's a "Merge and Stay in Lane" scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

And also, the speed of cars travelling (south) towards Waterford on Glenmore hill has increased visibly since the bypass has opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭CoBo55

SeanW wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Care to translate that?

Hyundai. Santa. Fe. It's always yummy mummy straight out of the merging lane into the outside lane.... And there she stays forever and ever sometimes with right indicator flashing and flashing for bloody miles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

It's still not been updated on Google maps as open... Anybody know which mapping/gps system to use to use the bridge? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Waze has it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    It's still not been updated on Google maps as open... Anybody know which mapping/gps system to use to use the bridge? Thanks.

OsmAnd has the bridge included. Other openstreetmap based satnav apps probably also include it.

You would think Google could data mine their live traffic data to automatically detect where and when a new road is opened. It's not like thousands of vehicles per day are suddenly going to start taking the exact same route across fields and rivers at a steady 100kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's strange that it seems to be taking so long. Other recent new roads such as the latest stretch of the M11, or the Enniscorthy bypass appeared fairly quickly.

The problem is that on Google Maps there's no easy way that I've found to inform them of a brand new road. Plenty of opportunity to tell them about changes to existing ones though.

Also because Google rarely seem to perform any kind of checks on user submitted changes, we now have two entries for the bridge, one correct one with the right name, another slightly west of that entitled "NewRoss River Bridge" and another entry close by called the Hannah Parr Project which seems to have been completely misplaced (it was a Norwegian emigrant ship that ran into trouble and docked in Limerick for repairs apparently) but which has attracted loads of comments about the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

ExoPolitic wrote: »

Apple Maps had it the day after it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

There was some discussion here before the opening of the bridge and the bypass about the likely impact on the town. The following articles from the New Ross Standard give a local perspective and it appears to be all positive

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Alun wrote: »
    It's strange that it seems to be taking so long. Other recent new roads such as the latest stretch of the M11, or the Enniscorthy bypass appeared fairly quickly.

The problem is that on Google Maps there's no easy way that I've found to inform them of a brand new road. Plenty of opportunity to tell them about changes to existing ones though.

Also because Google rarely seem to perform any kind of checks on user submitted changes, we now have two entries for the bridge, one correct one with the right name, another slightly west of that entitled "NewRoss River Bridge" and another entry close by called the Hannah Parr Project which seems to have been completely misplaced (it was a Norwegian emigrant ship that ran into trouble and docked in Limerick for repairs apparently) but which has attracted loads of comments about the bridge.

I added the Enniscorthy bypass to Google Maps the day it was opened and Google had it reviewed and added in a day or 2.

Done the same with the New Ross bypass and it's still sitting in pending under my contributions.

skodacb wrote: »
    I added the Enniscorthy bypass to Google Maps the day it was opened and Google had it reviewed and added in a day or 2.
    How did you do that? As mentioned I can only find ways to report inaccuracies in existing roads, or to add new "places" but not roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Alun wrote: »
    How did you do that? As mentioned I can only find ways to report inaccuracies in existing roads, or to add new "places" but not roads.

Should be under the new contribute settings, edit map and then there's a list of options, including add missing road. I am at level 7 though on Google maps, not sure whether that makes a difference.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Level massively makes a difference in speed of review, but not quality - I'm level 6 (halfway to 7 though I doubt I've enough more to contribute to get there) and some stuff has been marked as fixed when it just isn't - pedestrian accesses not being marked giving insane routes mainly.

I actually just checked two old "closed" reports - two massive detours they were causing due to not realising there was access and the one that requires climbing a nearly hidden set of steps has been fixed but the one missing a really obvious, visible from overhead photos footpath hasn't been!

• Advertisement

Should be under the new contribute settings, edit map and then there's a list of options, including add missing road. I am at level 7 though on Google maps, not sure whether that makes a difference.
    I'm a few points shy of level 6, but the vast majority of my edits are accepted. A few haven't, but there's no real reason given apart from that Google "couldn't verify" them, and there's no way to contest this or engage with them further. google in a nutshell, really.

There's one I entered recently, a small car park up in the Mournes which is in twice, once with it's real name and another with a makey-uppy name and I suggested removing it as there was a duplicate, got a refusal within minutes despite anybody with half a brain cell being able to see from the satellite imagery that it's the same place.

Hmm, can't find anything like "edit map" anywhere. Possibly a level issue as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I wonder is it updated on Garmin or OSM (OpenStreetMaps)? I should update to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,244 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder is it updated on Garmin or OSM (OpenStreetMaps)? I should update to check.

OpenStreetMaps usually has and major road or rail project mapped on the day it opens.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I updated my Garmin yesterday and it shows the RFK bridge.

I updated my Garmin yesterday and it shows the RFK bridge.
    Garmin were uncharacteristically quick with this one, certainly. I updated my maps on 10th February and it was on there then, version 2020.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Done the same with the New Ross bypass and it's still sitting in pending under my contributions.

That might explain why N11 hasn't been changed to an R road then or is it officially N11 still.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Victor wrote: »
    OpenStreetMaps usually has and major road or rail project mapped on the day it opens.

...or before, if a user sneaks onto it with a bike and a GPS a few days before :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,244 ✭✭✭✭Victor

...or before, if a user sneaks onto it with a bike and a GPS a few days before :D

Nah. Satellite images mean you can map it months or years in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a user here I used to send GPS traces and similar to for stuff I just can't understand on OSM editing (I do POI info updates only, anything else confuses me :pac:) but they no longer post here.

There's two traffic flow changes, one quite significant in impact, that are long since implemented on the ground; and a new pedestrian walkway I'm aware of all not reflected on OSM if there's anyone who knows what they're doing.

Advertisement