Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Job or Dole?

• 14-03-2011 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Interesting site it will calculate if its worth your while working anymore,or if you will get more on the dole.

http://jobordole.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Oh FFS..........

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Stay moderating"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

shebzy wrote: »
    no wonder why this country's the way it is with a site like that????????

I think that would be down to the government not the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shebzy

the website dont help though does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

the website dont help though does it?

Give Joe a call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Anyone who has any experience of the dole, the awkward moment when someone asks what do you do, the black despairing days and the build up of bills while your friends go out while you miss social occasions, birthdays, stag nights and the constant stream of rejections letters doesn't need a website ( who incidently use the wrong calculations) to know the anwer to that question.

Take the ignorance elsewhere

Edit: This smells like a cheap publicity stunt to sell his tax calc download which if powered by the same flawed mathamatical abilities is probably useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

no wonder why this country's the way it is with a site like that????????

Yeah its all his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I like it. Another valuable website to give the ordinary punter some sound impartial advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

I'm just surprised there's no advertising on the site.

Good idea there's a calculator for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Job please Bob!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭crowdcontrol

Anyone who has any experience of the dole, the awkward moment when someone asks what do you do, the black despairing days and the build up of bills while your friends go out while you miss social occasions, birthdays, stag nights and the constant stream of rejections letters doesn't need a website ( who incidently use the wrong calculations) to know the anwer to that question.

Edit: This smells like a cheap publicity stunt to sell his tax calc download which if powered by the same flawed mathamatical abilities is probably useless.

Well said

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Anyone who has any experience of the dole, the awkward moment when someone asks what do you do, the black despairing days and the build up of bills while your friends go out while you miss social occasions, birthdays, stag nights and the constant stream of rejections letters doesn't need a website

Oh, boo-hoo.

Be glad you're getting any money at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can't see why anyone would choose the dole over a job just for a few more quid. I used to have a part time job, until I got offered a full time job a few weeks ago. It wasn't really worth keeping with the cost of getting to and from it but it got me out of the house and broke up my week.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Why have one when you can do both like me, im loaded now:pac:

Oh, boo-hoo.

Be kind enough to direct yourself to my sig.

That is all.

Do you think im the owner of that site or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Daddy or chips????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Hmmm a job, or having to deal with the highly ignorant and condescending cretins parading as the social welfare? I know which I'd rather have.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

feelpablo wrote: »
    Daddy or chips????
    beat me to it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Oh, boo-hoo.

He at least has the right attitude and feels quite uncomfortable on the dole.

The way people should be.

But have no choice as there is no work for them

Being on the dole sucks major big balls.

• Advertisement

Do you think im the owner of that site or something?

Not at all, merely that the site owner is relying on bigots to take his site and perpetuate it in internet land for free advertising.

You might want to consider that while you pull the hook out of your mouth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not at all, merely that the site owner is relying on bigots to take his site and perpetuate it in internet land for free advertising.

Nice.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Few times better working
    no surprise there

Hey hold on a minute,i have no hook in my mouth,i just stumbled upon the site and i thought it would be an interesting topic in AH.

No need to get up on your high horse about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That website doesn't even take into account additional work costs let alone commuting costs! :p

+1 to what Mr Incognito says though. So many non-material reasons to stay in work regardless!

Hey hold on a minute,i have no hook in my mouth,i just stumbled upon the site and i thought it would be an interesting topic in AH.

No need to get up on your high horse about it.

Ah yes. AH - the last great bastion of objective debate, current opinion and informed discussion. Well, that's not what "yore ma" said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

jobordole needs more questions. a mate of mine is better off on the dole because he lives in the boonies and doesnt have to spend €70 quid a week commuting to work but the algorithm doesntallow for that

Also fuel allowance is not accounted for, and medical bills being paid out of your own pocket if you work.

job or dole should stick to the day job (or dole)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Oh, boo-hoo.

Give over. If he ever had a job, he's paid tax and it's his money he's getting back now he needs it.
    I'd rather see it go to him than a load of lying Nigerians spoofing about asylum, frankly.

I heard an interesting parable the other day which for me explains this spate of worker versus unemployed tension:

An investment banker, a Daily Mail reader and an unemployed man are having some tea and biscuits together. They open up the packet and there are 12 biscuits to be shared. The bankers grabs eleven of them and says to the Daily Mail reader: "You better watch out - that doley scum's going to nick your biscuit!"

TLDR - Keep your eye on who's really to blame. It ain't each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Oh and also... if I can get 200 quid a week working some sh!t job for a balding spastic or 190 quid a week sitting on my hole, eating lion bars and playing xbox which do you think I am going to do.

FLAWED!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

the calculator on that site is majorly flawed. it automatically assumes everyone is entitled to rent allowance which couldnt be further from the truth.

even if the calc was accurate id call into question the legality of having a site devoted to encouraging people to leave their jobs en masse and go on the dole!

given the current climate id say the days of living on welfare as a career are over anyways.

Advertisement