Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Analogue Switchoff - Public Awareness & Help Scheme

• 13-08-2010 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from a recent discussion on an ASO help scheme and yesterday's Drivetime radio programme the Dept of Communications has launched a tender to collect information for a report on TV reception methods in Ireland (with particular emphasis on analogue terrestrial television).

The report, amongst other things is to "inform the Department in how best to develop and deploy supportive policy interventions/options in the move from analogue terrestrial television (ATT) to digital terrestrial television (DTT)".
    DCENR is seeking applications from interested parties for the provision of services to the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources in respect of a robust and verifiable quantitative analysis of the current geographic and demographic television reception mechanisms in Ireland.
    The aim of the work is to provide a report on the TV reception methods in Ireland (with particular emphasis on analogue terrestrial television). In order to prepare the report research must be undertaken that will involve the use of surveys and these surveys must use sampling in such a way that it is sufficiently large to support a significant amount of sub analysis by target grouping and further detailed assessment. It is envisaged that the margin of error will be less than, maximum, +/- 3%.

The final report will
    (i) inform the Department in how best to develop and deploy supportive policy interventions/options in the move from analogue terrestrial television (ATT) to digital terrestrial television (DTT)
    (ii) inform the analogue switchover policy
    (iii) deepen market information in relation to DTT services

1.2. Required Services
    1. Development of a TV household questionnaire aimed at finding answers to the following:
    a. numbers of TV households nationally that use the different types of television reception methods;
    b. numbers of TV households nationally who rely on analogue terrestrial television as their primary method of TV reception, as a function of location;
    c. socio-economic circumstances of these analogue only TV households;
    d. the ability of these analogue only TV households to upgrade to a digital television service;
    e. information on the type of aerial used by these households;
    f. the number and location of TV households where some form of assistance may be required in the upgrade to digital; and
    g. the type of assistance that such houses may need to upgrade to a digital service.

2. Establishment and maintenance of a national TV user panel:
    a. Advise to the Department on the optimum number of participants for this type of survey;
    b. Selection of demographic and geographic areas from which the participants can be selected;
    c. recruitment of survey households;

3. Conduct Survey (if most suitable approach)

4. The collection and analysis of data from the participants and the questionnaire;

5. On completion, the consultant will be expected to submit the following within 6 weeks after contract award:
    • An executive summary
    • A final evidence based and detailed Report, summarising the findings of the questionnaire and analysing these findings
    • Conduct a presentation to relevant Departmental officials / Minister following completion of the report

The information submitted in the report must be provided in word/excel format.
    The progress of the project will be reviewed on an ongoing basis by the Department and the successful tenderer will be expected to accommodate this.
    The Department shall, if required, have access to the primary data and retains the right to use this primary data and analysis resulting from the survey as it sees fit.

http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=AUG164895

This from today's Irish Times
    Study seeks to support switch to digital TV
    GENEVIEVE CARBERY

Fri, Aug 13, 2010

THE GOVERNMENT is seeking to discover if it will need to financially assist analogue television households for the digital switchover in late 2012.

A survey to establish the type of households still reliant on the old-style analogue television signal is to be commissioned by the Department of Communications.

The audit will come ahead of the move to digital television and the switching off of the terrestrial analogue signal in December 2012. This will mainly affect households that do not already subscribe to satellite or cable services.

The socioeconomic circumstances of analogue households and their ability to upgrade to digital television will be among the topics in the questionnaire.

The department also wants to know the number and location of households that may need assistance to upgrade to digital.

The report’s aim is to help the Department of Communications to develop and deploy “supportive policy interventions/options in the move” from analogue to digital television, the survey tender document said.

A spokesman for the department said the tender did not imply that the department was going to financially assist people in the changeover.

The department had to establish “if there are issues”. Depending on the research results, the department may have to see if there is something it can do for people, the spokesman said.

Other issues which the survey will be seeking to assess include the number of Irish households that use different types of television reception methods. The report is expected to cost some €50,000 and went to public tender yesterday.

Over one-fifth (350,000) of Irish households rely on analogue terrestrial television, with the rest relying on cable and satellite, according to a department estimate.

Separately, Fine Gael called on Minister for Communications Eamon Ryan to provide vouchers to people on low incomes to help them with the cost of buying a digital box or satellite dish if they needed one.

Fine Gael communications spokesman Leo Varadkar said the switchover would not only affect analogue households but would also affect households with a second television which is not linked to cable or satellite.

Mr Varadkar also called for a public awareness campaign in responding to a survey published by ComReg earlier this week, which revealed that just four in 10 people were aware of the analogue switch-off,

The British government funded a digital switchover scheme for its television migration which will be completed by 2012.

The British scheme funds or partially funds the equipment (usually a set-top box) and set up assistance for digital television for people over 75 and others in receipt of disability benefit.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0813/1224276712785.html

The Comreg survey(s) that Leo Varadkar refer to are attached

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

markmagennis (Dr. Mark Magennis) of TV Access has also posted similar in another thread - Support for people in making the switch to digital. TV Access press release - Government researching need for switchover assistance.

Can I suggest to mods to merge the two threads to avoid splitting the the discussion between the two threads.
    The Dept of Communications has today issued a request for tenders for research into the current geographic and demographic television reception mechanisms in Ireland, with particular emphasis on analogue terrestrial.

They intend this research to inform their switchover policy, in particular concerning the provision of "supportive policy interventions/options".

I wonder what kind of interventions people here would expect to see? I'm thinking along the lines of information, setup assistance and even financial help in the form of subsidies for those people who find it difficult to make the switch or difficult to afford it due to issues like disability, poverty or special circumstances that require equipment or expenditure above the norm.

I'm particularly interested in this area from the perspective of social inclusion. Continued access to television at an affordable price is essential for full social inclusion and the enforced requirement for people to acquire, install and learn to use new digital equipment and services presents a significant barrier to many people who are older, disabled and/or on low incomes.

I lead a coalition of organisations from across the disability, aging and poverty sectors in Ireland - TV Access. We have been campaigning on this issue for some time. One of the things we're asking for is a well-funded, far reaching and inclusive programme of information and assistance for those who find it difficult to make the switch for financial or practical (e.g. due to disability) reasons.

Having met with various people within the Department (including the Minister and his predecessor), the Oireachtas Committee members, the BCI, RTÉ, Boxer, OneVision, etc. we aren't really any the wiser about what to expect along these lines. We know not to expect anything like the UK's Digital Switchover Help Scheme, but something in that direction is clearly necessary.

There seem to be quite a few people on this board with a degree of experience and insight about public broadcasting and the policy environment so I would be very interested in hearing opinions about what level of switchover support for vulnerable consumers is possible or likely, given the current restrictive economic climate.

Any thoughts on this important issue?

Mark

TV Access previously made a presentation to the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 markmagennis

Thanks for posting that info Cush, I was busy writing my own post at the time so didn't see it. Also useful to get the link to the previous discussion which I was unaware of and which provides some of the opinion and info I was looking for.

Mark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

THE GOVERNMENT is seeking to discover if it will need to financially assist analogue television households for the digital switchover in late 2012.

Firstly I know that digital is being forced on the good public and that by paying our TV license that we are entitled to a terrestrial service.

BUT in fairness, the government shouldnt make themselves accountable to assist households when the countries finances are already in a dire state.

If somebody wants terrestrial then go out and spend €100 on a STB and an aerial. Otherwise its an improved service for free :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thanks Cush ( and Mark)

I am heartened that 4 out of 10 are already 'aware', I thought it would be half that TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

almighty1 wrote: »
    Firstly I know that digital is being forced on the good public and that by paying our TV license that we are entitled to a terrestrial service.

BUT in fairness, the government shouldnt make themselves accountable to assist households when the countries finances are already in a dire state.

If somebody wants terrestrial then go out and spend €100 on a STB and an aerial. Otherwise its an improved service for free :rolleyes:

There are social groups of people in this country who don't have €100 to spend on a STB and an aerial, and I'm not referring to newly/recently unemployed or those affected by the economic downturn. Access to DTT services should not come at a cost for those people.

DTT will be cheaper to broadcast than analogue so any initial expense of funding equipment in the change over should be covered by the government and can be offset against the future cheaper running cost of DTT.

Outside of the equipment funding some people will need to be shown and re-assured about the use of the new DTT equipment. To be honest from my experience of changing over services for some elderly relatives little training may be required, for them it's a still the case of turning on the TV and STB and selecting the channel they want to watch. Some people with special needs will require extra training , in what form the training comes need to be decided and the cost as above should be covered by the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I think

Success of the Switch Over depends on:
    • How good any info campaign is.
    • TVs and Setboxes in shops with Saorview sticker at good price.
    • One free box for anyone on Medical Card (i..e Means tested need).
    • No snags in rollout of 51 DTT sites
    • Successful timely launch and Commission of Kasat to feed some sites, backup feed all sites and DTH Saorsat for 2% to 8% that can't get DTT Soarview.
    • Free dish and cable install for ANYONE outside official DTT reception.

The cynic view?
    DTT is not primarily about having more free (or Pay) channels via the aerial. It's about the "Digital Dividend". That is Government making money flogging Spectrum and Mobile or other Wireless Voice/Data operators making money selling stuff to public.

Since this is ultimately to suit Government and Mobile Operators who will both make money from it, it's not like B&W to Colour change over. Apart from "Widescreen" which was largely to sell new TV sets, there is no quality increase on Digital over a GOOD Analogue signal, though it's possible. In fact the Bit Rates will be set to a quality just slightly below a perfect Analogue Picture as a compromise between improving quality and the same. Actually the switch to WideScreen has already reduced the quality of a perfect analogue signal as the Widescreen Digital image is cropped and resampled thus resulting in lower Analogue quality than if source was still 4:3. Widescreen should have been on HD only and then there would have not been degraded 4:3 and double upgrades of TV and broadcast equipement.

So for everyone with a Widescreen TV, DTT will be a real upgrade in quality, but only because of Widescreen. It will allow over the next year an increase in HD content on Irish TV, via Saorview and Saorsat.

It will be almost theft from tax payer if the aforementioned compensations at least don't occur as the Government has put almost no funding in DTT rollout and will make Millions in Revenue from "Digital Dividend".

Thanks for posting that info Cush, I was busy writing my own post at the time so didn't see it. Also useful to get the link to the previous discussion which I was unaware of and which provides some of the opinion and info I was looking for.

Mark

It happens, 5 mins or so between our respective posts. Of course you know what they say about great minds etc. :D
    Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Thanks Cush ( and Mark)

I am heartened that 4 out of 10 are already 'aware', I thought it would be half that TBH

I too was surprised by that figure, there may be hope for the switchover yet, economics aside.
    jobyrne30 wrote: »
    DTT will be cheaper to broadcast than analogue so any initial expense of funding equipment in the change over should be covered by the government and can be offset against the future cheaper running cost of DTT.

Some people with special needs will require extra training , in what form the training comes need to be decided and the cost as above should be covered by the government.

The money for this could be recovered from the planned sale of the digital dividend (upper UHF band) spectrum. The Minister said in April
    By extrapolating from a recent European study, the value of the digital dividend to Ireland is expected to be between €2 billion and €10 billion, over 15 years. In this regard, it is vital for Ireland’s economic health that this spectrum is released as early as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I would be very concerned that people who use an aerial everywhere but in the one room where there's a sky/UPC box will not be considered as dependent on aerial reception. I don't think many people will want to start taking out multiroom subscriptions because of ASO. This is particularly true if any study would think that having a freesat/FTA system means that they have digital equipment and therefore "won't" be affected by ASO.

I think that is why they are doing the survey. They know that having Satellite or Cable doesn't mean no Terrestrial TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The cynical side of me thinks there would be a nice temptation to consider people with some form of digital reception in the main as "covered", while they may not have digital RTÉ available in many or all TVs in house. The same department's attitude to what counts as broadband in the upcoming census or on how it assessed coverage for the NGB scheme is very questionable to me.

It all depends on what sort of questions the department are willing to ask in this survey. And in the case of low income earners, it would strike me that any who don't have a TV license will shut their doors to such a survey, even if it's nothing to do with An Post.

Of course, I'm not saying that we should cater for lawbreakers but it is a possibility that results will be skewed by people unwilling to comment on how or if they watch TV. I don't think those on unemployment benefits are entitled to a TV license either but I'm willing to be corrected on that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If a household receives RTE from an aerial on UHF, they will get DTT from that aerial in nearly all cases. (90%). If they get TG4 and TV3, they are getting that on UHF, so they will get DTT in most cases. Also 60% of households will get DTT on a simple aerial (rabbit ears). So not many aerials needed.

Given that 80% already receive RTE from $ky or NTL, that reduces the problem somewhat. Also, some TVs sold recently are already able to receive DTT.

If STBs are available for €50 or so, there should be little difficulty for the government to offer some sort of subsidy. For example, reduce the VAT on appropriate boxes would go some way - €50 becomes €40.

You can classify TVs into four categories.

1. iDTVs that can get Saorview now. No problem.
    2. TVs with HDMI connectors that will get HD Saorview with a STB. Say €100 each, possibly with recording through USB.
    3. TVs with SCART connectors that will get Saorview with a down-coverter STB. Say €50 each, perhaps more.
    4. TVs without SCART that should be scrapped, or need a STB with a UHF modulator. It is these TVs that are the biggest problem as it is usually the poorest and /or oldest people that will have them. These will need the greatest subsidy, possibly a new TV - say €250, as these TVs generally have small screens.

The survey needs to determine how many are in the fourth category, and determine a policy that will answer their needs.

All Downconverting to SCART boxes have HDMI too.

2 & 3 is same setbox basically, just different connector used.

4 needs identified as setboxes don't have Modulators anymore. However Off the Shelf SCART to RF Modulators exist at under €70. People may want to keep the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

watty wrote: »
    there is no quality increase on Digital over a GOOD Analogue signal,

Other than the quality improvement owing to true RGB video ?

There are also the benefits associated with having a proper EPG

As for widescreen weve had it for the best part of 20 years now and broadcasters still cant manage to set up 4:3/16;9 signalling properly :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

All Downconverting to SCART boxes have HDMI too.

2 & 3 is same setbox basically, just different connector used.

No, there are scart only boxes that plug into the back of the TV that are quite cheap compared to the normal box.

It's not true RGB, nor does the eye need R, G and B at B&W quality. The colour is sampled at lower bandwidth.

If you mean avoiding Chroma colour interference in Luma channel and vice versa? Yes the large highly saturated areas won't have fake fine detail and contrasty fine patterns won't create fake colour. So digital does improve that. However a comb filter on PAL is almost as good.

There are lots of benefits. But these are not compelling in the sense that moving from 405 line B&W to 625 line PAL is.

You do realise how many people have DVDs and Sky boxes and watch either composite on SCART or RF rather than RGB? :(

Or how many TVs with multiple SCART that only one has RGB? I agree WS has been introduced badly. That's why I say it should never have been introduced until HDTV became available. On SD a WS picture "full frame" is same number of pixels as 4:3 SD so is actually a drop in horizontal resolution (anamorphic).

Originally HD was to have "full" non-anamorphic WS, 1920 x 1080 is square pixel. But on Terrestrial and some Satellite there is not the capacity so Anamorphic 1440 x 1080 HD WS is being used. Still that's almost twice the quality of SD WS TV (2x Horizontal and 1.8x vertical). Compared to full 720 x 576, the 1440 x 1080 HD is 1.5x Horizontal (due to black bars at side) and 1.8x vertical.

Full 1920 x 1080 HD is 2.6x hor, and 1.8x vert of anamorphic SD WS and for 4:3 is 2.0x hor and 1.8x vert.

No video is originated in 4:3HD, only WS (16:9) but pre 1950s films would be roughly 4:3 (Academy format). Widescreen on Film was partially developed because of the impending threat of TV and TV going colour (Colour TV demo in 1924 and modern NTSC color demo in 1951 with TVs in shops in 1952).

Conclusions.

So, yes there are LOTS of advantages to Digital and some to HD, though most people will see no improvement on HD unless they have a very large TV or sit very close.

But for the majority of people that don't want Freesat, Freeview, UPC or Sky and are content with 3 or 4 channels analogue via aerial they will see Digital as a complication and unwanted extra expense.

My Dad is almost 80 and copes with recording on the internal HDD on his Virgin Media PVR, and later "saving" to S-VHS. My mum on the other hand panicked when she saw I was using her Sky Digibox to listen to Radio. On her Kitchen TV she can't get back the Freesat box if she accidentally changes channel on the TV instead of Setbox. (Her aerial only picks up BBC1, 2, UTV and C4. She didn't know Five was on her Sky Analogue, she discovered it by channel flicking on the Sky Digital box as it's after C4. Perhaps I don't visit enough!)

Replacement "boxes" can be awkward for some people. I doubt my Mum could use some models of DAB radio. Her Analogue radio got the tuning knob wiggled till she found Radio Ulster when she bought it (by herself). It would be more than my life is worth to change the station the radio is on, hence my sneaky listen to RTE1 Radio on the Sky box, hoping to put it back to BBC1 TV before she would notice.

No, there are scart only boxes that plug into the back of the TV that are quite cheap compared to the normal box.

These don't meet the Saorview Spec. Saorview requires HDMI and SCART. HD downsampling to SCART is required as there is unlikely to be space for SD & HD simulcast of same channel. Any shop that sells an HD tuner with SCART and no HDMI deserves to be in trouble as such a set-box is stupidity.

MPEG4 SD only won't cut it for Irish DTT. Sagem Picnics are history once the real service starts. Especially when the 2nd PSB Mux starts.

An HDMI connector and IC adds little cost to any HD Tuner. Can you link to any set-box that can downsample real HD and has no HDMI and isn't obsolete? Component HD is obsolete an was only for USA market really. We are not talking about MPEG4 boxes with no HD tuner/Decoder, those are not an option.

These don't meet the Saorview Spec. Saorview requires HDMI and SCART. HD downsampling to SCART is required as there is unlikely to be space for SD & HD simulcast of same channel. Any shop that sells an HD tuner with SCART and no HDMI deserves to be in trouble as such a set-box is stupidity.

MPEG4 SD only won't cut it for Irish DTT. Sagem Picnics are history once the real service starts. Especially when the 2nd PSB Mux starts.

An HDMI connector and IC adds little cost to any HD Tuner. Can you link to any set-box that can downsample real HD and has no HDMI and isn't obsolete? Component HD is obsolete an was only for USA market really. We are not talking about MPEG4 boxes with no HD tuner/Decoder, those are not an option.

You are quite correct, but such boxes are possible, and would be much cheaper than a typical STB. All that is needed is a different chipset. That style of device would be a good choice for non-HD TVs that require the lowest possible cost. They should not be dismissed out of hand as they may well have a place for a large number of people with old TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Antenna

I would suspect the RF performance of such tiny receivers would be very poor, and not work with 'challenging reception - not just weak signal but poor rejection of strong out of band signals - proximity to TETRA and mobile phone base stations would likely be troublesome.

They should not be dismissed out of hand as they may well have a place for a large number of people with old TVs.

Yes they should as they are rubbish. Old people or people with old TVs should not be foisted with rubbish. There is in reality not much saving. Usually the "Scart" connector styled receiver has a large unreliable external power block and may foul against a 2nd SCART or other moulding on the TV case as they are larger than a SCART plug.

I've designed radio gear for over 10 years, the miniature nature and attempt at cost reduction results in a very poor design. Any subsidy, especially for a fully subsidised box should be for a box that properly meets the Saorview / Nordig spec.
    RTÉ Free-to-Air DTT Receiver

NorDig Unified ver 2.0. equipment requirements

Minimum Receiver Requirements

“Approved Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) Receivers

RTÉ has appointed Teracom AB to conduct receiver compliance testing for Irish free-to-air (FTA) DTT receivers. Those receivers which pass the tests thereby meeting the Irish DTT specification will be eligible to be licensed to use RTÉ’s “Saorview” logo, which will confirm to consumers that the receiver is Irish FTA DTT compliant. RTÉNL will publish a full list of compliant DTT receivers on its web site.

Manufacturers/distributors wishing to use the Saorview logo should contact Teracom (irdtest@teracom.se) to arrange testing. When a receiver passes the tests, it will then be eligible to be licensed by RTÉ to carry the Saorview logo.”
    From http://rtenl.ie/dtt.htm

Minimum Receiver Requirements

NorDig Unified ver 2.0. equipment requirements

It's important to note that RTE nor RTENL have not designed or specified a receiver, they have picked a widely used existing specification and appointed an expert organisation to test manufacturer's products to see if they meet it. This is very responsible and proper. We can NOT have the current situation of being unsure or people deciding box Y is Ok because they think they don't need feature B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I have for UK Freeview the Bush DFTA1001, a receiver with a moulded SCART plug on the end of it.

31VSJS8DBKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This receiver wasn't around on the market for too long, it got numerous complaints about its reliability. Although I must say that my experience of the product hasn't been bad - its main fault is in its software - it does not handle pin 8 voltage switching for widescreen broadcasts, and unless you're watching on a 16:9 display it can get tiresome adjusting the picture manually. Another problem is that the weakness of the design of SCART means some TV's cannot take the weight of the device, others have sockets too close together for it to fit in, in this case a small SCART extension lead is provided. Power is provided by a wall adaptor, and a "magic eye" is used to provide an IF receiver for the remote control. RF performance isn't too bad, no worse than some other Freeview receivers I've dabbled with. Overall though, OK for a bedroom TV but not one I'd consider for a main television. Some foreign websites have some equivalent MPEG4 type receivers, but since none of them have a HDMI output the cahcnes of meeting the Saorview spec is pretty much nil.

Some televisions still exist with no SCART sockets, some might have a phono AV in socket which it isn't too difficult to get a SCART to phono convertor, but for those workhorses that only have RF in, Argos have for the UK a TVonics receiver with only an RF out (no SCART!) though the website currently states "Out Of Stock".

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5321375/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|14419512|Digital+boxes+and+services|14419633/c_3/4|cat_14419633|Freeview+digital+set+top+boxes|14419638.htm

Otherwise, an analogue RF modulator can be got, they're starting around £19 on eBay that are output adjustable. I have a modulator myself that's fixed on to E36 that I bought from CPC for a few pounds some years ago. Someone with some basic electronic skills might also be able to use an old VCR modulator (one that used a screw to adjust the RF output frequency) to also work, they normally work with a 5V DC supply.

• Advertisement

I'm familar with that, It's junk.

A version that would do MPEG4 and HD downsampling and worked decently would be little cost saving on a "proper" setbox with SCART and HDMI.

Standalone SCART to RF modulators are available. They are now PLL synth tuned, like the ones in a Sky Digibox, as are all the last VHS set Modulators. The free running brass screw tuned type don't work well with most auto scan TVs as they don't easily set to an exact channel. They are obsolete. Probably not made anymore. For RF only input TV sets a standalone SCART Modulator is about €15 in quantiity, or €40 High Street Retail price.

I have a limited number of ex VHS Modulators (old manual tuned type) for anyone that wants them. Many are 9V rather than 5V though. They have built in RF combiner and RF-In. Power supply and basic soldering skill required.

I'm familar with that, It's junk.

A version that would do MPEG4 and HD downsampling and worked decently would be little cost saving on a "proper" setbox with SCART and HDMI.

Standalone SCART to RF modulators are available. They are now PLL synth tuned, like the ones in a Sky Digibox, as are all the last VHS set Modulators. The free running brass screw tuned type don't work well with most auto scan TVs as they don't easily set to an exact channel. They are obsolete. Probably not made anymore. For RF only input TV sets a standalone SCART Modulator is about €15 in quantiity, or €40 High Street Retail price.

I have a limited number of ex VHS Modulators (old manual tuned type) for anyone that wants them. Many are 9V rather than 5V though. They have built in RF combiner and RF-In. Power supply and basic soldering skill required.

I take your point about the scart type box being junk, it is just that it looks like a reasonable solution.

I would think that by the time a punter has bought a STB that is Saorview certified, bought a modulator, installed it, that a new modern HD iDTV of a similar screen size, it would not be much more and give much more satisfactoin to the user. Low-end MPEG 4 TVs are a little over €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I take your point about the scart type box being junk, it is just that it looks like a reasonable solution.

Awful.... Dont do it. It will take years off you. The cardboard box they come in costs more to make.

STB wrote: »
    Awful.... Dont do it. It will take years off you. The cardboard box they come in costs more to make.

:D:D:D:D

But it looks such a good design to hide the box round the back. I suppose it is too heavy and cannot be done well. That's the rouble with cheap.

Low-end MPEG 4 TVs are a little over €200.
    Hmm... Possibly €184 with built in DVD player.

I'd expect low end "HD Ready" resolutions with HD MPEG4 tuner at under €150.

Hmm... Possibly €184 with built in DVD player.

I'd expect low end "HD Ready" resolutions with HD MPEG4 tuner at under €150.

That is my point, a new TV for under €200 but stb ~ €100 plus a modulator for whatever the gouger can get, missus. And then the stb plus modultor does not work very well. (Which remote works what?)

STB + Modulator more likely < €80

If the TV is so old etc that there is no SCART, it's unlikley it has a remote :)

My mum is useless at technology. But she knows on her new Kitchen Freeview TV (no DTT where she lives in NI) + new freesat box to ONLY do volume on TV remote and channel change on Freesat box.

Question from Leo Varadkar in the Dáil this week on public awareness of ASO. Note the Minister's reference to ASO completion by Oct 2012, the first time we have a fairly specific date from an official source other than the media.
    Broadcasting Services

1576. Deputy Leo Varadkar asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources his plans to commission any research on public knowledge about the analogue TV switch off; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [33192/10]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Eamon Ryan): My Department has set up a Digital Switchover Steering Group combining those organisations with key responsibilities for the digital terrestrial television rollout and the analogue switch-off processes. The purpose of the Group is to make the timely decisions needed to keep the analogue switch-off process in Ireland on track for completion by October 2012. The Steering Group, which is to report to the Minister, comprises representatives from my Department, RTÉ, RTÉNL, the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and ComReg.

I have recently sought tenders for parties to conduct market research into the different TV reception mechanisms used in Irish households and consider that this research can be used to also identify public knowledge of analogue switch off.

Also a question on an assistance scheme
    Broadcasting Services

1580. Deputy Leo Varadkar asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources if he will provide a voucher or discount for low income persons who have to buy a digital box or new TV set to receive Digital Terrestrial Television. [33212/10]

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Eamon Ryan): My Department has set up a Digital Switchover Steering Group combining those organisations with key responsibilities for the digital terrestrial television rollout and the analogue switch-off processes. The purpose of the Group is to make the timely decisions needed to keep the analogue switch-off process in Ireland on track for completion by October 2012. The Steering Group currently comprises representatives from my Department, RTÉ, RTÉNL, the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and ComReg.

No decision has been made on the availability of a subsidy fund for digital receivers. This matter may need to be considered by the Government as the date for analogue switch off in 2012 approaches. In this regard the work of the Steering Group will help inform any such consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

almighty1 wrote: »

i agree with that but i think that the goverement should set a price on boxes , tv's so you can not get ripped off which is what will happen.

• Advertisement

The Government plan on making €20 to €150M selling off TV spectrum.
    They have mandated it.

They are morally obliged to subsidize the 2% to 7% that can't get DTT with Saorsat and subsidize setbox for those that can't afford.

Even the USA, not famed for Social Welfare, had a subsidy scheme.

Advertisement