Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest Irish song of all time

• 14-09-2018 3:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is not a music video list thread

So youtubed Zombie a few days ago for a listen and saw that the music video has over 750 million views!! It's a great song and all but that seems.. excessive. Now I'm on my phone so I can't check how many of those views came after poor Dolores's passing but it got me thinking, what is the greatest irish song ever? Now I'm not asking for personal favourites, but more a song almost everyone could agree on, young and old, and not just the cool kids

Sunday Bloody Sunday (live)? Come Out Ye Black and Tans? Maniac 2000? Aon Focal Eile? River dance ending song?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Without thinking much I'd consider With or Without You and Sunday Bloody Sunday from U2 to be up there. I'd also throw Cannonball from Damien Rice in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Fisherman's Blues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

No Sweat: Heart and Soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

jester77 wrote: »

Was gonna say the exact same :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Ride On.
    Christy Moore

How about 'The Curragh of Kildare', sung by one of the most under-rated music groups in the last few decades, and one which totally blew their potential. I think Christy Moore is better-known for his version of this track, but I prefer the Johnston's one.

The band had a pretty tragic ending. Adrienne Johnston, one of the singers, died after a fall that is suspected to have been murder/ manslaughter.

I have a personal reason to be fond of this song as it was sung at my Dad's funeral. If you aren't familiar with the Johnstons but like Irish ballads, I'd strongly recommend looking them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Jumbo Breakfast Roll - Dicksie Walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

We don't need nobody else - Whipping Boy
    Hole of the Moon - The Waterboys
    Speed to my side - Rollerskate Skinny

I dunno if they even count in the manner the OP wants it, but they do to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Sinead O'Connor: This is a rebel song

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Quite a few I haven't even heard of, remember I'm not looking for personal favourites, but the consensus greatest.

I'm going to add, Aslan this is

Fairy Tale of New York.
    Is it Irish, if it is then it's hands down the greatest most famous 'Irish' song ever!?

Dearg Doom by The Horslips would be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hah, please tell me you go about singing 'The Hole of the Moon' and not 'The Whole of the Moon' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

there are loads and loads.... but one that always pops to mind is "friends in time" - the golden horde

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Fairy Tale of New York.
    Is it Irish, if it is then it's hands down the greatest most famous 'Irish' song ever!?

Dose of scour is all that song would give you, gets played to death every Christmas.

Fairy Tale of New York.
    Good call, I hate myself but it's definitely up there

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Dearg Doom by The Horslips would be up there.

Probably the greatest riff alright, but the rest of the song isnt as good imo

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Dose of scour is all that song would give you, gets played to death every Christmas.

Tell that to the millions of drunk egits in the pubs at Christmas every year belting it out of their mouths and dreaming of Ireland and home,... Not just the Irish the whole World... So that makes it the greatest most famous 'Irish' song ever ever ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

'Hole' Of The Moon would change the meaning of the song a bit. I imagine it being about a lovelorn couple looking up at the moon smiling then he turns around and flashes at them.

moon-graphicsfairy004c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭gigantic09

The Pogues, Rainy night in Soho

Luke Kelly, Raglan Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hah, please tell me you go about singing 'The Hole of the Moon' and not 'The Whole of the Moon' :D

Yeah because that sounds like another word completely!

You'll forgive the predictive error, hopefully.

I don't "go about" doing anything either, for what it's worth :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The Waterboys aren't exactly Irish by the way. They've had some Irish members as far as I know but Mike Scott is Scottish.

Probably the greatest riff alright, but the rest of the song isnt as good imo

How can you not like the lyrics "two heads are better than none. One hundred heads are so much better than one" :) only messing.

Everybody likes Teenage Kicks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭bullpost

Gloria - Van Morrison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Any of the Italia 90 songs

The Waterboys aren't exactly Irish by the way. They've had some Irish members as far as I know but Mike Scott is Scottish.

That's correct. They're as Irish as they are otherwise I suppose. Scott now lives in Dublin and has for years. The rest are Irish. They've had some success in general but I'd imagine they identify closer to these shores. If they have a sway toward hailing from Ireland, then I'm going with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

"Put ' em under pressure". 1990 Irish world cup song. In keeping with the thread title even if I find the song cringey. Great craic in a gathering though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Any number of Shane McGowans songs will last long into history - Turkish Song of the Damned, Fairytail of New York and Rainy Night in Soho are masterpieces. The Body of an American being a major part of one of the greatest TV shows of all time (The Wire) will ensure it is sung at funerals throughout America for years to come.
    Best of all is probably The Sickbed of Cuchulainn.

Advertisement