Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abolish the Dole

• 05-09-2018 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9 John from Carlow

I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes. It sickens me that people like Margaret Cash have the money for Sky digital subscriptions, shopping trips to Newry and computers with internet connections to post their drivel on Facebook. It has got to the stage were these people genuinely believe they deserve a reasonable middle-ish class lifestyle at the expense of the state. This may seem harsh to some but it is only fair that people that don't work live in abject poverty and are subjected to all the ills that such a lifestyle predisposes them to. I feel genuine rage that I am paying for other people's way through life; it makes me feel genuinely ill. At the moment the only viable alternative is to move to the US, a country where hard work is rewarded and the likes of Margaret Cash are left were they belong - in the gutter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,598 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Maybe thanks your rage and direct it at multinationals avoiding paying millions in tax every year. Easier to kick down though I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

You know that type of thinking is exactly what the elite want you to think . Blame Margaret Cash for all the problems in the country . I actually thought it was strange the amount of publicity her plight was given and when you see posts like yours it’s obvious why they allowed her so much airtime.

But they wouldn’t actually give the many many genuine homeless people that kind of publicity.

Job done by them I guess .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes.

If you want to save money on the welfare budget you cut pensions

Approx 7.6 billion spent on pensions each year compared to 2.1 billion for job seekers

Are ya gonna propose that OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Is John From Carlow Andy From Sligos evil nemesis?

tenor.gif?itemid=11796793

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well OP has a point maybe wrong example but smth like if one hasnt worked at least 5-10 years shouldnt be allowed on the dole if one is 18yold or gets knocked up let the parents pick up the slack, to many people well abled to work, get used to this free cash scheme, now being been on both sides its not a luxury life even if one doesnt have overheads, and not something one should rely on, i get some people fall on rough times but big majority see it as means of living that sort of life style, which gets easily passed onto next generation.

Thou theres quite few schemes on now where they put pressure on people but still to many loopholes for those that dont want any work, worst being the longer one relies on it the chances of getting back to employment goes down with each year radically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Still bitter about the Sugar Factory OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It should be a safety net for when you fall on hard times after you pay into the system not a way of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Eod100 wrote: »
    Maybe thanks your rage and direct it at multinationals avoiding paying millions in tax every year. Easier to kick down though I guess

Who provide thousands of well paid jobs.

Its up to the Government to close any tax loopholes that might exist, if they took their eye off the ball thats not the companies issue to sort out.

I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes. It sickens me that people like Margaret Cash have the money for Sky digital subscriptions, shopping trips to Newry and computers with internet connections to post their drivel on Facebook. It has got to the stage were these people genuinely believe they deserve a reasonable middle-ish class lifestyle at the expense of the state. This may seem harsh to some but it is only fair that people that don't work live in abject poverty and are subjected to all the ills that such a lifestyle predisposes them to. I feel genuine rage that I am paying for other people's way through life; it makes me feel genuinely ill. At the moment the only viable alternative is to move to the US, a country where hard work is rewarded and the likes of Margaret Cash are left were they belong - in the gutter.

How much tax do you pay OP? Now remove every service you receive from the state, roads hospitals etc, cant imagine you fund much after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,324 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I would stop all those pensioners heading off on exotic foreign holidays on their Social Welfare money. They get a lot more than the people on the dole. Make them spend the money at home.

Most of the dole money goes straight back into the economy tbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

They'll never do it because it would be political suicide and they would get voted out of the Dáil in the next general election. The €20 billion that is spent every year on welfare is way too high in my opinion but it's not all going to people on the dole!

Where would you cut DontThankMe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

P_1 wrote: »
    It should be a safety net for when you fall on hard times after you pay into the system not a way of life.

Exactly.

50% or less of the current dole for those who have never had a job.

100% for those who have just left employment, dropping 10% after 3 years on the register and a further 10% every 3 months until it hits 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,324 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They'll never do it because it would be political suicide and they would get voted out of the Dáil in the next general election. The €20 billion that is spent every year on welfare is way too high in my opinion but it's not all going to people on the dole!

There could be some of it going into your family. Would you like to see that cut?

Some people really want to condemn innocent children to poverty dont they

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Heard a mother today crying on the radio as she sees her kids for an hour after crèche each day cause she works to pay taxes etc.

Also would love a 3rd child but can’t afford it.

Then we have ms cash who can afford to have 7 children and stay home with them in a free house while collecting 50k a year all paid for by this poor working mother.

Yeah but conquer and divide rabble, multinationals rabble rabble, most vulnerable in society rabble ****en rabble.

Spare me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Eat the Poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

OP take yourself for a walk around some of the US towns and cities with high unemployment and see if you come back with the same opinion...

while I don't want people taking advantage of a social welfare system I abhor the US system which penalises everyone, even those that do want to work.

Move to the US it's perfect:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/she-said-i-had-the-best-kind-of-cancer-you-could-have-1.3597363

• Advertisement

Heard a mother today crying on the radio as she sees her kids for an hour after crèche each day cause she works to pay taxes etc.

Also would love a 3rd child but can’t afford it.

Then we have ms cash who can afford to have 7 children and stay home with them in a free house while collecting 50k a year all paid for by this poor working mother.

Yeah but conquer and divide rabble, multinationals rabble rabble, most vulnerable in society rabble ****en rabble.

Spare me....

Cant imagine she works to pay taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If the dole was abolished completely I would give the state a fortnight max before it looked like a mad max post apocalyptic wasteland.

Apart from Finglas... obviously - as you can't take knickers off a bare hole.

jon1981 wrote: »
    OP take yourself for a walk around some of the US towns and cities with high unemployment and see if you come back with the same opinion...

while I don't want people taking advantage of a social welfare system I abhor the US system which penalises everyone, even those that do want to work.

Move to the US it's perfect:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/she-said-i-had-the-best-kind-of-cancer-you-could-have-1.3597363

I was in San Fran and it was disgusting to see abject poverty and extreme wealth everywhere. People abandoned left to live on the streets and beg, is that a society we want?

If the dole was abolished completely I would give the state a fortnight max before it looked like a mad max post apocalyptic wasteland.

Apart from Finglas... obviously - as you can't take knickers off a bare hole.

are you saying Finglas would cease looking like one, otherwise your sentence doesn't make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Abolish dole threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭wally1990

CSO https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/lr/liveregisterjune2018/

The number of long term claimants on the Live Register in June 2018 was 94,778.

The number of male long term claimants decreased by 13,581 (-19.4%) in the year to June 2018, while females decreased by 6,846 (-15.1%), giving an overall annual decrease of 20,427 (-17.7%) in the number of long term claimants. See table 6 and figure 2.

In June 2018, 58.4% (133,287) of all claimants on the Live Register were short term claimants.

The comparable figure for June 2017 was 57.1% (153,521).

The annual fall of 20,234 (-13.2%) in the number of short term claimants consisted of a decrease of 12,103 (-14.6%) in the number of male short term claimants and a decrease of 8,131 (-11.5%) in female short term claimants. See table 6.

Article 25 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted 10 December 1948 by the UN General Assembly, contains this text regarding housing and quality of living:

Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Try_harder wrote: »
    Where would you cut DontThankMe?

Child benefit for a start if you have more than 3 kids (Just randomly picked 3) you should get less of a payment for the 4th child and so on. It should also be means tested so families with an income over 100k shouldn't get it buy maybe replace with a subsidised child care or something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I've often thought what Ireland needs is to be more like America. I believe they also have some fantastic ideas on gun ownership laws that we could look into as well.

/sarcasm

Advertisement