Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

registered post form previous owner

• 09-12-2019 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

we moved into our house 1-2 month ago, and we are receiving registered post from the previous owner multiple times a month. thats annoying.

the first 2 times, we collected was was delivered and dropped it off at the selling agencies office. but its just keeps going.

how do we handle that? its annoying. i was about to tell my wife to just throw the stupid letter away, but that doesnt feel right.

is there a way to let anpost know not to deliver letter to a certain person to our house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Write "Not at this address" on the envelope and pop it in the post-box. It'll get sent to the return address and hopefully they'll know to update their records.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I mark the envelopes "not at this address" or similar and stick them back into postbox. They should be returned to sender then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

When you say 'registered post', are you signing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Who is signing to accept the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

murfilein wrote: »
    we are receiving registered post from the previous owner multiple times a month. thats annoying.

Why are the previous owners sending you registered post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Refuse to sign for it surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Rarely does good news come by registered post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I wouldn't be signing for someone else's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Registered post needs to be signed for no?
    In that case why would you be signing for someone elses post!
    Other than that write not at this address and stick em back into a postbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Absolute idiocy.

It's not addressed to you. Don't sign for it. If it's delivered anyway, give it back to the postman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Why are the previous owners sending you registered post?

welp, language. she isnt sending anything, but she is getting letter to our address because she owned the house before we bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

welp, language. she isnt sending anything, but she is getting letter to our address because she owned the house before we bought it.

So It's just ordinary post, not registered. Bin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Why are you signing for it?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Don't sign for other people's post. That's the whole point of registered post.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Had similar recently. Kept sending normal post back to sender. Incidentally, govt departments really seem to be the worst for updating records. Could clearly see on one letter the indents on the page inside where I'd crossed through address on the window of the previous envelope. They just took it out if the envelope I'd clearly marked "not at this address", put it in a fresh envelope and sent straight back to my place. Baffling. After a bit of a saga of sending it back I eventually wrote on it to look up the property price register - it had sold months previously, I am not who it's addressed to so stop sending someone else's post to me. Finally stopped getting that one letter.

Kept having to arrange parcels to get to them too (some were books so fit through letterbox, others were left with neighbour etc) because yerwan kept accidentally sending her online shopping here. Then happened to be home when a courier tried to deliver a fairly large package... refused to accept it. If it had been only a couple of months since moving I'd have accepted, but it was closer to 9 months since they moved. That was the last time anything for her arrived.

It's a weirdly disproportionately annoying thing to keep coming home to someone else's post. Especially when it's obvious that it's just down to the previous occupant not being arsed sorting their shi.t out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In my house 16 years and still get letters for the previous owner. For the first year or two I tried to re-direct / return them, now I just bin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Kept having to arrange parcels to get to them too (some were books so fit through letterbox, others were left with neighbour etc) because yerwan kept accidentally sending her online shopping here. Then happened to be home when a courier tried to deliver a fairly large package... refused to accept it. If it had been only a couple of months since moving I'd have accepted, but it was closer to 9 months since they moved. That was the last time anything for her arrived.

You'd wonder how some people tie their own shoelaces :confused:

We've just moved recently and I'm proactivly trying to redirect as much as I can so that when the new people move into our apt (we still have keys for now) that they won't be bothered.

That said, we lived in that apt for 4.5 years and were still getting post for all sorts of randomers (the property had been a rental before we bought it) and I was amazed by how many different names we saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It can be easier said than done. I've had to move a few times in the past few years (thank you, Dublin's ****ty rental market) and I still have post going to old addresses despite my best attempts not to. For certain organisations, it's just difficult to get them to update your details properly, they always seem to have the old addresses in some file somewhere.

Most recently, dropped car in for service and they were unable to contact me during the day as despite me giving my current phone number to make the booking and leaving my phone number with them that morning, they still managed to find an old phone number for me on file and tried to contact me using that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I just have one regular sender of a post for a former resident, a crap finance house that they presumably owe money to and must be thinking the not at this address returns are spoofs. Luckily there's zero chance of name confusion with me if they ever sign up to the CCR

Eventually everyone else too notice of not known / gone away / deceased (former owner) stickers going on, luckily enough just about the time I ran out of the official return stickers the post office probably shouldn't have given me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Don't sign for other people's post. That's the whole point of registered post.

No, the point of registered post is to have a record of delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Registered post has to be signed for. Stop signing for it and send the postman away with it. Don't accept it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Registered post has to be signed for. Stop signing for it and send the postman away with it. Don't accept it at all.

Maybe read the thread before posting. The OP has already confirmed it isn't actually registered post, it's standard post

Maybe read the thread before posting. The OP has already confirmed it isn't actually registered post, it's standard post

"we moved into our house 1-2 month ago, and we are receiving registered post from the previous owner"

No one has time to scrutinise the entire thread. If the opening post is wrong it should be edited or thread deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

antix80 wrote: »
    "we moved into our house 1-2 month ago, and we are receiving registered post from the previous owner"

No one has time to scrutinise the entire thread. If the opening post is wrong it should be edited or thread deleted.

There have been 24 posts in the thread in total. Hardly takes a huge amount of time to flick through it before responding. If your time is that precious, I'd encourage you to get off Boards and do more of those important things in your life

There have been 24 posts in the thread in total. Hardly takes a huge amount of time to flick through it before responding. If your time is that precious, I'd encourage you to get off Boards and do more of those important things in your life

Says the guy lecturing people on boards :rolleyes:

Ya know, I just read the thread.. the op didn't say it was standard post! Where did you pull that from? Boards.ie needs a feature to downvote posts like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

No the OP hasn't confirmed this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

we moved into our house 1-2 month ago, and we are receiving registered post from the previous owner multiple times a month.

from

from

followed by...
    she isnt sending anything, but she is getting letter to our address because she owned the house before we bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It is a bloody nightmare to get companies to send your stuff to a new address. I moved recently, and left a few large stamped & addressed envelopes for my new house because I knew there might be a couple of stragglers.

I had to update my car insurance for our new address. The company charged me an additional premium because my new address has a higher risk factor and then a week later sent my updated policy document to my old address.

It's maddening, so I have some sympathy for the old tenants but it's not really your problem OP so just mark them as "not at this address" and throw them in a postbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Are you moderator wannabe or are you auditioning for the job?

31 posts in & all you have done is point out our failures. Have you anything to actually contribute to the thread? Anything at all???

Advertisement