Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Spar IFSC: Female Sandwich Makers Needed. Sausages need not apply.

• 06-03-2014 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Lovely bit of sexism from the SPAR branch in the IFSC.

It's grand though, its against men.

Surely it's against equality legislation to specify gender (except in some very limited cases, I think)?

And of course it's not ok when it's against men.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That's illegal isn't it?

You can discriminate all you want in private but don't put it on the feckin sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Cannot be real....if it is...it's illegal and the sign will be down soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Riskymove wrote: »
    Cannot be real....if it is...it's illegal and the sign will be down soon enough

Anyone walking by the Spar IFSC branch can take a look. Just took the pic not five minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Lets start a Facebook campaign and fill it up with "boycotting Spar" and death threats!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

phasers wrote: »
    You can discriminate all you want in private but don't put it on the feckin sign!

You're a HR Manager, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Lets start a Facebook campaign and fill it up with "boycotting Spar" and death threats!! :D

Nah, the lefties would only be doing that if it said "Men only".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

wazky wrote: »
    The position is more suited to a female though.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Riskymove wrote: »
    You're a HR Manager, right?
    Legally you can't ask me that because you might discriminate against me.

So yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Ching ching im getting on to my solicitor

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Doing a mick O'leary maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Well the last place I worked had to sack the deli lad cos he was putting his Mickey into the meat slicer.
    but tbf they sacked her as well....

BOOM!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The proprietor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

But discrimination against men is legal afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

jescart wrote: »
    Biologically their smaller brains are more adapted for simple, repetitive tasks like working at a deli.

Cue the Harry Enfield video..women know your limits!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

wazky wrote: »
    The position is more suited to a female though.

Men make much better sambos, less skabby on the filling. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Looks like my local Spar in IFSC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

this does not surprise me. I once went for a job interview in a Hallmark store and towards the end of the interview she said "well we have a policy to only hire women here so i don't know how you would fit. hmmm. I'll call you"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's illegal to advertise jobs in that way. I'm surprised Spar would make such an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

kfallon wrote: »
    Looks like my local Spar in IFSC!

That's where it is so chances are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

eviltwin wrote: »
    It's illegal to advertise jobs in that way. I'm surprised Spar would make such an error.

@SparIreland just tweeted back to me when I sent them the pic. They said they'll get onto the store. So chances are the sign will come down sharpish - but there's very obviously a sexist manager working there so you have to ask whether the hiring process will change behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

They will just remove the sign and discriminate anyway.

Messed up situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Maybe the position is for a tampon bin emptier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I know a farmer that put an ad in the local buy and sell
    WANTED

MAN TO HELP WITH LAMBING

Handy woman considered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Dean0088 wrote: »
    @SparIreland just tweeted back to me when I sent them the pic. They said they'll get onto the store. So chances are the sign will come down sharpish - but there's very obviously a sexist manager working there so you have to ask whether the hiring process will change behind the scenes.

hello snip

lets not bring real names in here thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The current bunch in there are hopeless anyway. Pretty much refuse to put the fillings in before the chicken, or whatever. Quite simply, its madness, Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Dean0088 wrote: »

On behalf of all beleaguered internet males chafing under the yoke of feminist oppression, I'd like to thank you for your diligence in this regard,.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Used to work near it and the staff there were poor enough.

Male or Female

I wonder with it saying "females only" is the person in charge of hiring not a fluent English speaker?

A fluent English speaker would know that the correct word in this situation is "women", but it would also explain perhaps why the person doesn't understand how big a deal it is to discriminate in this way if they were raised outside of the EU.