Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I'm in the Limerick area myself and finding West Kerry Brewery very elusive! A trip west could be on the cards to stock up - when restrictions are lifted

Pop into the lads in N21 and see if they'll be able to order it. I have seen it in there before so they should be able to get it in again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

As part of my ongoing quest to try every milk stout under the sun, got the Firestone Nitro Merlin Milk Stout (carry out Tyrrelstown provides). The can goes to great lengths to get you to take the instructions seriously - invert the can 3 times, crack and pour hard to get the surge right. I had a mini explosion when I opened it, but lovely head to it. Weirdly almost metallic nose at first. Decent if not exceptional milk stout taste. I think Left Hand Brewing Co’s remains my favourite. Guinness milk stout is actually pretty good too if you can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oh yes.

545379.jpeg

It's been a while.

That looks different to mine.

That looks different to mine.

There was also a larger bottle with a cork top and a slightly different ABV. I have a few of them as well but that's at the very back of the shelf and I'm in an ass groove on the couch staring at the otterbank. So a picture won't be forthcoming this evening. Though you have one. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JoeLapira

Have spent the weekend working my way through the Tiny Rebel 9th Birthday Box, the Black Cherry Cream Soda is the pick of the bunch so far!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Wicklow Wolf Elevation pale ale.

I think this is the best of WW's offerings, from what I've seen of their stuff. I'm not usually a fan of theirs. I had this in a pub pre-lockdown and was quite impressed with it as a session beer, and only getting around to trying the can version now.

(Well, not now, because that would mean I'm drinking a can on a Monday morning before 9am... But yesterday...)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭joficeduns1

Yesterday evening brought a New Belgian - Amber Ale which I thought was fantastic. Full of body. To cap off an indulgent weekend had a light Whiplash Rollover IPA. Happy Monday folks..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Yesterday evening brought a New Belgian - Amber Ale which I thought was fantastic. Full of body. To cap off an indulgent weekend had a light Whiplash Rollover IPA. Happy Monday folks..

Fat Tire?

A bit of a cult classic in its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭joficeduns1

Fat Tire?

A bit of a cult classic in its day.

That's the one.

• Advertisement

Had a stout evening yesterday.
    Stone Barrel - Spectre Porter, a leftover from the Mother Macs Xmas Box.
    Bradleys/Dot Brew Collab - 1850 Imperial Stout, which is really good.
    I finished off with Wicklow Wolf - Pointy Shoes 2020. My head was bit fuzzy driving to work this morning. Worth it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Had a stout evening yesterday.
    Stone Barrel - Spectre Porter, a leftover from the Mother Macs Xmas Box.
    Bradleys/Dot Brew Collab - 1850 Imperial Stout, which is really good.
    I finished off with Wicklow Wolf - Pointy Shoes 2020. My head was bit fuzzy driving to work this morning. Worth it tho.

How did you find this in terms of carbonation etc? When I picked it up, I found I could squeeze then can. A couple of people on a beer group on FB I'm in said the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I don't really know what's happening in Irish beer any more but I felt these were reasonably well executed but kind of in that 'middle market' / mass appeal bracket that means a lot of casual drinkers could try them or get into them, but there's not that much here to interest you if you want something bolder.
    Isn't that kinda the purpose of core range beers? Bankers, with a wide appeal? Obviously, the likes of Kinnegar have a massive core range, but most have a smaller number and then do their something different/ interesting/ bolder as specials?

fwiw regarding Treaty City, I had Outcast as part of the Craic Flagship February box - I thought it was another great session for the abv. Their Red IPA was one of my favourites from last year too. And yer man is mental, in a good way!

Pen Rua wrote: »
    How did you find this in terms of carbonation etc? When I picked it up, I found I could squeeze then can. A couple of people on a beer group on FB I'm in said the same.

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary to be honest. Then again I wasn't paying much attention.
    It tasted amazing tho. So much going on with it.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Isn't that kinda the purpose of core range beers? Bankers, with a wide appeal? Obviously, the likes of Kinnegar have a massive core range, but most have a smaller number and then do their something different/ interesting/ bolder as specials?

fwiw regarding Treaty City, I had Outcast as part of the Craic Flagship February box - I thought it was another great session for the abv. Their Red IPA was one of my favourites from last year too. And yer man is mental, in a good way!

Did ye get in for the brewery tour too ?

Did ye get in for the brewery tour too ?

That’s a few hours well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No, only virtually met Steve, but is on the list when places re-open!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just ordered their Paddy's Day box in the last hour. Looking forward to trying the new experimental ranges. They were on fire last year with all the limited edition brews.

Just ordered their Paddy's Day box in the last hour. Looking forward to trying the new experimental ranges. They were on fire last year with all the limited edition brews.

Treaty City?

Treaty City?

Yeah they’ve 4 new ones out in a set for Paddy’s - red ale, stout, pale, and cream ipa I think.

https://treatycitybrewery.ie/product/paddy-box/

• Advertisement

Yeah they’ve 4 new ones out in a set for Paddy’s - red ale, stout, pale, and cream ipa I think.

Had a rummage after I posted. I still have too much beer in the house. So no idea what I had hoped to achieve looking at it.

Had a rummage after I posted. I still have too much beer in the house. So no idea what I had hoped to achieve looking at it.

I have way too much myself. But.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If they'd thrown in a glass I'd be all over it. Likes others I've too much in the backlog already but I'm a sucker for a set that has a glass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Macy0161 wrote: »
    No, only virtually met Steve, but is on the list when places re-open!

He's very passionate about his beer, did his very first tour in the main brewery and he was just brilliant, often drops into Mother Mac's on a Friday and when all this madness started he was delivering the beer himself, would stop and chat for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Did the White hag meet the brewer on Saturday, was really interesting and they were a couple of sound lads that love beer.

That’s a few hours well spent.

It's a good tour for definite. I think the tour is Steve himself. Huge personality and passionate about beer.

I remember we tasted an (at the time) upcoming DIPA release that they were working on.
    AFAIK I don't think it ever got released.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BeerNut wrote: »
    I bet the Cadbury Creme Egg IPA is already in the tank.
    Six days after I post the above: https://twitter.com/CadburyUK/status/1364906168376832000

I guess White Hag lost the tender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Have we finally jumped the shark beer wise..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Have we finally jumped the shark beer wise..

Finally?
    I'd don't really see this as any more extreme than any other dessert or pastry beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Speaking of crazy beers. I possibly had the worst beer I've ever had the other night.

Wander Beyond Brewing - Ozzy. It's an Imperial Stout with Tonka, Star Anise, Vanilla & Cocoa. It was just liquid Star Anise that made it like a can of cough medicine or cough drops. Terrible beer. How anyone could release this and be ok with it is beyond me. Wasn't cheap either! Terrible terrible beer!

I have one other beer from them to try but if it's anything like the Ozzy I won't be buying anything from them again.

Advertisement