Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Frying pan

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

stimpson wrote: »
    I have stopped using my griddle pans. The marks look great, but it means less meat has ben in contact with the pan, so less Maillard reaction, so less flavour.

+1 on this, have a Le Crueset pan with griddles that I have more or less stopped using for this very reason. The griddle marks might look great on a steak but they do detract from the flavour compared to using a flat pan which can give the steak a consistent crust all around
    Planet X wrote: »
    Bought two Lodge cast iron skillets last year.
    Should have bought them 20-30 years ago.

Pure non stick, nothing to worry about. It will also brown meat much better than other pans as it will get hotter and hold the heat.

I spent the guts of an hour though with an electric sander when bought first, then hand sanded it.
    Next was a seasoning session or three. But.....when it's done, it's......

The Lodge cast iron pans seem to get great reviews on Amazon but are expensive to ship from the US due to the weight. Im waiting for a friend who works for an airline to get a trip to the US and I'll get a couple that way.

On non stick pans I bought an induction compatible non stick from Ikea only 3 months ago and already eggs are sticking to it. If I had the receipt Id be bringing it back, really disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

Muahahaha wrote: »
    +1 on this, have a Le Crueset pan with griddles that I have more or less stopped using for this very reason. The griddle marks might look great on a steak but they do detract from the flavour compared to using a flat pan which can give the steak a consistent crust all around

The Lodge cast iron pans seem to get great reviews on Amazon but are expensive to ship from the US due to the weight. Im waiting for a friend who works for an airline to get a trip to the US and I'll get a couple that way.

On non stick pans I bought an induction compatible non stick from Ikea only 3 months ago and already eggs are sticking to it. If I had the receipt Id be bringing it back, really disappointing.

If you bought it using a debit or credit card print out will suffice as proof of purchase.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bought mine on Amazon UK no issues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Carbon steel, I think.
    It was a cheap one from an Asian shop about 25 years ago.

Same here, Asian Market about 20 years ago. Season easily and heat up extremely hot in jig time.

Le Creuset wok and griddle pans out in the garage now :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭budgemook

I spent the morning working on my cast iron stuff. The new pan is well seasoned and raring the go, the burger press is back like new and my bbq plate looks in great health now and is sitting in the shed with a nice coat of oil to keep it tip top - thanks to all for the tips.

I was telling my wife about sanding down a cast iron pan and she shares my intrigue - it would be nice to have a good pan for pancakes and omelettes that doesn’t need replacing every couple of years. Maybe when the current non-stick pan (Ikea one which has lasted as well as most) goes bad we will try it out. I’ll be keeping an eye in Lidl for a sander :pac:

For a wok though I think I’ll have to stick with the one that I have. I have an induction hob which woks aren’t really designed for but Ikea do a non-stick wok which isn’t the worst (although will need to be replaced when the non-stick goes of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

budgemook wrote: »
    For a wok though I think I’ll have to stick with the one that I have. I have an induction hob which woks aren’t really designed for but Ikea do a non-stick wok which isn’t the worst (although will need to be replaced when the non-stick goes of course).

I have a flat carbon steel wok and love it. My cast iron pan gets rarely used now. I do most stuff in the wok instead, like steaks & smash burgers. I love being able to use metal utensils and scrape the hell out of it, and being able to get it roaring hot.

It is really thin so far quicker to heat up than the cast iron.

I read of a trick on the induction hobs to get a wok really hot, they put a some sort of fire blanket in between the wok and hob, so the hob was not detecting how hot the wok had gotten. Sounded a bit dangerous but interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Can anyone recommend a really good frying pan ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:

6541 I've moved this from the Cooking Club and merged it with a current thread about frying pans. If you scroll back you'll find plenty of advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

6541 wrote: »

If you let us know what kind of foods you intend cooking in it and if you are using gas/electric/ induction then people will be able to give advice

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Hi - anyone got one of those Prestige eco frying pans? They’re lightweight, green in colour, rather expensive and supposedly non-stick. I need a good lightweight pan due wrist problems, and finding my current pans awkward to use. Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

6541 wrote: »

I have bought many pans over the years and by far the best I have are the Le Creuset non stick.
    The Outlet in Kildare village do good deals and with Covid at the moment they are operating online.
    Worth every penny.https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiW6fGtmrfuAhUY6-0KHULKCacYABAPGgJkZw&ae=2&sig=AOD64_1My6De7Qb1m_d_4agvCqRTS24kjg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwj8x-qtmrfuAhViWxUIHZkkAZgQ0Qx6BAgFEAE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

For anyone looking for a quality Cast iron pan, Great Northern Larder are now selling these babies: https://greatnorthernlarder.com/collections/cookware-and-bbq-hardware

I would also recommend picking up some of their sauces while you’re at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

If you let us know what kind of foods you intend cooking in it and if you are using gas/electric/ induction then people will be able to give advice

Thanks for taking the time to reply. So it is an electric hob. I just want a pan that will cook steak, maybe make a curry can be purchased easily without Brexit worries. Something versatile. Dishwasher safe would also be good.
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

stimpson wrote: »
    For anyone looking for a quality Cast iron pan, Great Northern Larder are now selling these babies: https://greatnorthernlarder.com/collections/cookware-and-bbq-hardware

I would also recommend picking up some of their sauces while you’re at it.

What sauces do you recommend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

janja wrote: »
    What sauces do you recommend ?

All of them! The Fire and Tye Fury sauces are great. BBQ is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭budgemook

Really struggling with not buying that machete knife from that site!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

guys can anyone recommend a good pan from my link below,be cooking on gas and a stanley 80 range.
    cooking eggs bacon sausages,steak.

https://www.oxendales.ie/shop//_/N-1ytvfx4/Ntt-frying+pan/products/show.action?hnid=11048241&type=cmr

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum.
    I'm basically looking for a good frying pan.
    We've had carious one's over the years. Lidl/Aldi one's okay but not great.
    Tefal, found useless.
    Currently we've two,
    Thomas(Got with Tesco tokens) which was good but is starting to stick.
    Prestige Similar issues.

Can any body recommend a good one?

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

freshpopcorn I've merged your thread with the Frying Pan megathread :)

You might find what you're looking for if you have a read through.

Advertisement