Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frying pan

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    I’m glad I read this because I have an Ikea stainless steel pan and EVERYTHING sticks to it! I fried eggs in a load of oil one day and they still totally stuck. I thought it was just me, and that I was missing something crucial :o

You barely need a drop of oil on the €15 stainless steel one with the non-stick coating. It's brilliant for eggs and pancakes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've not done anythnig special to my stainless steel ikea pan (and it gets put in the dishwasher all the time), but frying eggs on it is no problem. Get it super hot, lash on a load of oil, bring it down to half and put the egg straight on. Get a lovely crispy bottom on it. Quick flip when the white is mostly set and you're away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tree wrote: »
    I've not done anythnig special to my stainless steel ikea pan (

Get it super hot, lash on a load of oil, bring it down to half and put the egg straight on.

You say you did nothing special, but you have effectively pretty much described the seasoning techniques that are on youtube.

What I would like to know is can any old pans be seasoned, I had a couple of crappy free uncle bens woks and the non stick came off. These were rusting so not aluminium. I wondered if I stripped off all the coating the a blowtorch or heat gun and an abrasive pad or those wire things for drills, -could I then season it.

And can aluminium pans be stripped and seasoned. I used to think it was something special about cast iron. But there seem to be videos of people seasoning aluminium pans too.

EDIT: seems people do strip them but its a lot of effort to do it properly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

rubadub wrote: »
    You say you did nothing special, but you have effectively pretty much described the seasoning techniques that are on youtube.

What I would like to know is can any old pans be seasoned, I had a couple of crappy free uncle bens woks and the non stick came off. These were rusting so not aluminium. I wondered if I stripped off all the coating the a blowtorch or heat gun and an abrasive pad or those wire things for drills, -could I then season it.

And can aluminium pans be stripped and seasoned. I used to think it was something special about cast iron. But there seem to be videos of people seasoning aluminium pans too.

EDIT: seems people do strip them but its a lot of effort to do it properly.
    Micro seasoning of the steel pan every use is basically the instructions that came with the pan. And yes, it all comes off like a dream in the dishwasher, hence I keep a non stick for omlettes and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Barkeepers friend is supposed to be the ticket for cleaning the stainless steel pan, I'm curious as to whether this is a specific product, or is there a generic product available in an Irish shop, such as Tesco etc?

Made scrambled eggs in mine for breakfast this morning, eggs didn't slide about the pan with the ease I expected them to, with a bit of an egg coating left on the base, in fairness they came off with little effort (warm water and a wooden spatula) but in lots of the youtube videos I'm seeing, guys are seasoning the pan, (like I did) cooking, then just simply giving the pan a wipe with kitchen paper afterwards.

There's no way I could get away with that with my pan, perhaps it needs another few rounds of seasoning (one youtuber recommends seasoning it 5 or 6 times)

• Advertisement

You barely need a drop of oil on the €15 stainless steel one with the non-stick coating. It's brilliant for eggs and pancakes.

Hey, had a bit of business out in the D15 area this afternoon, and decided I'd lunch in IKEA seeing as I could kill 2 x birds etc.

Picked up one of these pans you mentioned, and literally just did an egg in one there to test it out, and all I can say is whoa.

I've bought pans 2 or 3 x times the price of this, and they were nowhere near the quality, egg just slid around the pan with barely a drop of oil.

And perhaps it's better suited for the "here's what i had for lunch thread" but I had the Moroccan chicken with giant couscous.

Quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tays

Johnny Just wondering where did you get the Giant Couscous? Ive been trying to get my hands on some!!

Tays wrote: »
    Johnny Just wondering where did you get the Giant Couscous? Ive been trying to get my hands on some!!

Hey there.

The.giant couscous I was referring to was served up to me in the ikea restaurant, but Aldi do it in the freezers.

Been a while since I had it from there in fairness, but I recall it being fairly nice the last time I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Faith wrote: »
    I’m glad I read this because I have an Ikea stainless steel pan and EVERYTHING sticks to it! I fried eggs in a load of oil one day and they still totally stuck. I thought it was just me, and that I was missing something crucial :o

Oh god, mine does too, I've relegated it cos it's useless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Tays wrote: »

You can buy it in Aldi! I have two packs in my pantry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

You can buy it in Aldi! I have two packs in my pantry :)

I bought it in Aldi but can't find it anymore unfortunately, I think it was part of the health food week they had.

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Oh god, mine does too, I've relegated it cos it's useless

I used mine this morning to do a few sausages (it's the dogs 'birthday' apparently) (seriously) and they turned out brilliant.

I think the point of them is that you will have them for a lifetime more or less, as there's no Teflon coating to come off. This morning I just poured some hot water into mine afterwards, quick scrape with the wooden spoon to dislodge some sausage remnant, then quick wipe with kitchen paper, and it was as good as new again.

If you season them right, you can get eggs done fairly ok, not a patch on a dedicated non stick pan, I'll grant you that, but scrambled eggs etc come out grand.

Stainless steel pans are great overall, but like everything else in the kitchen, they have their uses. Fried eggs just aren't up there with being their first.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've had a few of the stone type frying pans and they are great at the start but start to wear after 6-12 months. The last one I bought I kept the receipt and intended to bring it back but then I couldn't find the dam receipt and it was over the year probably too..

Anyway I was in Home Store and More where I bought it, started taking to one of the lads asking for advice on frying pans. He said dont bother with any of the gimmicky ones - Tfal are just better that any other pan - full stop. I told the guy how the last one was rubbish and he actually gave me an exchange on it and just pay the extra - really sound of him. He said he's had one for 5 years and he could put it on the shelf its like new.

Super happy with it so far and will definitely buy another one. I think it pays to buy quality withy things like this that you use every day for years

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tefal aren't magically better than other brands. Probably has a higher margin for the store.

If you want premium brands, Brabantia change designs so often the older models end up in discount stores. You'll never get a matching set and there's no magic about them either but it'll be cheaper than homestore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hi, I hope it's okay to resurrect this thread. There is some great information in here about frying pans - I guess the summary would be:

* Non-stick - buy cheap as you can (while looking for quality of course) as the non-stick will come off no matter how much is paid.
    * Stainless steel pans - apparently can be seasoned and could be an alternative to cast iron. Probably not for me though as I have a good enamel one.
    * Cast Iron - lasts a lifetime and can be non-stick if looked after properly - season, rub with oil after use, dry properly and don't use soap etc.

So I am planning to upgrade my cast iron pan - it was a bad buy as there are way to many griddles on it making it very difficult to clean. It's gathering rust in the shed now and I'll probably just bin it. I am going to get a flat cast iron pan and really look after it this time.

I see nisbets have some for under 30 euros - does anyone have experience with these? I was also looking at some that have enamel on the outside - I think this could be a good option as the outside won't rust and I'd only need to worry about the inside. Might be cleaner to store too as I wouldn't be rubbing the outside with oil.

Finally - I came across this spun iron pan that is apparently excellent - all of the benefits of cast iron but much lighter. Does anyone have one? It's a crowd in the UK that does them, they are sold out until March!

https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/double-handle-pans/12inch%20two-handled-pan

So right now I am torn between a) cheap nisbets pan b) expensive enamel coated pan and c) this spun iron pan.

Suggestions very welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

One issue with CastIron is it doesn't spread heat well, so you need a good heavy pan to ensure you have enough thermal mass, hence I'd be sceptical of the spun iron pans - plus they are super expensive.

I have stopped using my griddle pans. The marks look great, but it means less meat has ben in contact with the pan, so less Maillard reaction, so less flavour.

If you're in the market for pans, I have some that were due to go on adverts. Some no name, some Amazon essentials and a good 12" Lodge. PM if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Couple of things.
    I have a set of really cheap cast iron pans - been using them for decades. I don't see the point of paying loads for premium brands.

Griddle pans are a pita, smoke fest.

I always use soap when cleaning them - it doesn't take off the seasoning. Just don't scour them.

I rarely oil my pans - just no need. I'd dry them well on the hob after washing.

Getting them well seasoned is key.

stimpson wrote: »
    One issue with CastIron is it doesn't spread heat well, so you need a good heavy pan to ensure you have enough thermal mass, hence I'd be sceptical of the spun iron pans - plus they are super expensive.

I have stopped using my griddle pans. The marks look great, but it means less meat has ben in contact with the pan, so less Maillard reaction, so less flavour.

If you're in the market for pans, I have some that were due to go on adverts. Some no name, some Amazon essentials and a good 12" Lodge. PM if you're interested.
    Thanks, I'll have a think about it! Yeah the whole "lightweight" thing would make me doubtful but the BBC reckon these things are the bees knees!
    Couple of things.
    I have a set of really cheap cast iron pans - been using them for decades. I don't see the point of paying loads for premium brands.

Griddle pans are a pita, smoke fest.

I always use soap when cleaning them - it doesn't take off the seasoning. Just don't scour them.

I rarely oil my pans - just no need. I'd dry them well on the hob after washing.

Getting them well seasoned is key.

Yeah, smoke fest is exactly right. It was a bad buy but wasn't expensive at least. I also have a cast iron plate for my bbq - I seasoned it when I got it but it has rusted too. I was told before to oil it after use and it won't rust but maybe it's something else causing the rust there. Anyway, when I get a new pan I'll grind the rust off the bbq plate and season them together and just look after them a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Soap used to be a problem because it contained lye - thats not the case with fairly liquid. I use it all the time with mine and even leave them to soak - once it has been well seasoned it would be 100%.

Ley is basically Oven Cleaner. You can use it to completely strip the pan back to bare metal if you want to begin from scratch. use one of the ones from Dealz that comes with a plastic bag. This will remove rust too - DO NOT GRIND THE RUST OFF - you will ruin the surface.

The key thing here is seasoned properly. I have tried all sorts of methods and oils. My go-to now is:

- grapeseed (not rapeseed) oil. Tesco sell 500ml bottles. Also great for high temp frying!
    - preheat oven to max
    - wash and dry the pan
    - Stick it on the hob and get it good and hot.
    - Switch on the extractor
    - get 2 paper towels and fold each in 4
    - apply a small amount of oil to one towel (literally towel on top of bottle and briefly upend it to apply the smallest amount of oil to it)
    - while it's still on the hob lightly rub it around the bottom of the pan. Literally 3 or 4 light swipes - no need to cover everything
    - take the dry towel and remove as much excess oil as you can
    - give it a minute or two to smoke off
    - repeat this for at least 10 minutes
    - cover the rest of the pan in as little oil as you can, removing the excess with a dry towel
    - put it in the oven for 15 mins
    - repeat this 2 or 3 times.

Bam! Bulletproof seasoning.

Cast iron will rust in humid conditions.
    If dried really well and kept in the kitchen, it shouldn't rust.

• Advertisement

Cast iron will rust in humid conditions.
    If dried really well and kept in the kitchen, it shouldn't rust.

Fair enough - but if I want to keep the bbq attachment in the shed then I think it should be oiled to keep the humidity off.

budgemook wrote: »
    Fair enough - but if I want to keep the bbq attachment in the shed then I think it should be oiled to keep the humidity off.

Definitely oil it if keeping in shed.

Also, after oiling a pan, it's not really greasy, as such. A light rub of oil kinda soaks in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

* Stainless steel pans - apparently can be seasoned and could be an alternative to cast iron. Probably not for me though as I have a good enamel one.

It's not easy to season stainless steel nor is there much point - people use it to generate fond and you can just scrub it off without damage.

Its carbon steel - a fourth type of pan - that people usually season instead of cast iron.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bought two Lodge cast iron skillets last year.
    Should have bought them 20-30 years ago.

Pure non stick, nothing to worry about. It will also brown meat much better than other pans as it will get hotter and hold the heat.

I spent the guts of an hour though with an electric sander when bought first, then hand sanded it.
    Next was a seasoning session or three. But.....when it's done, it's......

To be honest, in my biggest and most used cast iron pan the seasoning is pretty rough and chipped but it doesn't bother me as it's generally used just for searing meat.
    I know I could sand it down and start again but there's, literally years of seasoning chipping and reforming and gaining character in that pan - I don't need it to be super non stick.
    The smaller, less used ones are still smooth.

My well seasoned old wok has a teflon like surface.

Never heard of sanding down a new pan before. I ordered one from nisbets yesterday and it arrived today - great service. It’s a little bumpy for sure but I can’t see myself sanding it.

Today I cleaned / removed rust on my bbq grill plate and this burger press I have, tomorrow I’ll season everything.

The grill plate I have - there is still some light rust on the underside (the griddle size), more of an orange tint than actual rust. Will I be okay to season on top of that or do I need to remove it fully? Will the seasoning on top of the light rust stop it from rusting further does anyone know?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

When cast iron is sanded down and seasoned correctly.......an egg will slide all over it :D

Whatever suits....

The grill plate I have - there is still some light rust on the underside (the griddle size), more of an orange tint than actual rust. Will I be okay to season on top of that or do I need to remove it fully? Will the seasoning on top of the light rust stop it from rusting further does anyone know?

That'll be fine. Once you get some oil on it, the rust will seem to disappear.
    To a degree, the seasoning will prevent rust but oil it for storage if it's damp or humid.

My well seasoned old wok has a teflon like surface.

What is your wok made of?

• Advertisement

What is your wok made of?

Carbon steel, I think.
    It was a cheap one from an Asian shop about 25 years ago.

Advertisement