Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon discriminating Irish customers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think they are now as you can get next day delivery of Amazon products, a pretty recent update. And a poster mentioned they were told something about not keeping a certain item in stock as the demand is not big enough, can't remember the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

distributing orders from there certainly but I'm not sure they are fulfilling from there i.e. they actually hold stock there.

They are not at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,405 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There are no fulfillment centres in Ireland yet. Most orders are fulfilled from the UK. Does it matter so much?

Then a. Where are orders delivered next day by Amazon drivers coming from and b. why was a poster told an item was not available from their Irish centre????

It would matter if I thought I'd get an item quickly from their Irish centre as opposed to a delay from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They are not at the moment.

But it's already been said they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭Caranica

My tracking for order received today and delivered by Amazon

Monday
    Ordered
    Shipped

Tuesday
    3.56am arrive Amazon St Helens
    5.32am depart

Wednesday
    1.51am arrive Amazon delivery station Dublin
    7.56am out for delivery
    8.54am delivered

That's with prime. My earliest ever Amazon delivery, usually come sometime between 12 and 7pm.

Dublin is a delivery station, obviously they're sending containers over and sorting and dispatching Dublin and surrounding areas there. Everything I've had delivered by Amazon has come from overseas, primarily Liverpool but also Germany on a couple of things (ordered through UK and no indication it was coming from anywhere other than UK)

Having said that I've also had recent orders delivered by An Post, DPD and UPS Nightline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Gru

Ok Amazon -> Cork update,

ordered a good few books on Nov 25th, one author had a 2 for £7 deal that could only be applied once per transaction so i had to put 6 of his books in 3 orders, 1 large one with other books, 2 small ones with just 2 of his books for the discount.

all ordered together, all dispatched together Nov 26th,

the largest Parcel was just delivered today by An Post, the 2 smaller ones are still in the Dublin Mail Centre, (most likely to be delivered with letter postman tomorrow)...

definite improvement over recent deliveries, but i'm surmising most likely with an influx of black Friday sales/UK lockdown they seem to not have the time to delay dispatch by address or the system can't handle the volume of requests and amazon is just firing them out regardless of Ireland (outside dublin) or not.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

They are definitely fulfilling directly from Dublin now. Here's an order placed for two items on Friday night. Left one delivered Saturday morning with tracking only in Dublin. Right one delivered today coming over from the UK.

FJ3d0b9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

deconduo wrote: »
    They are definitely fulfilling directly from Dublin now. Here's an order placed for two items on Friday night. Left one delivered Saturday morning with tracking only in Dublin. Right one delivered today coming over from the UK.

Dispatching from Dublin, not fulfilling.

If you check the left ones packaging you'll see where it came from (eg MAN1 is Manchester).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

deconduo wrote: »

FJ3d0b9.png

I doubt the one on the left came from dublin. If it came from dublin why did it take overnight to arrive in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

ED E wrote: »
    Dispatching from Dublin, not fulfilling.

If you check the left ones packaging you'll see where it came from (eg MAN1 is Manchester).

Hurrah! Someone who can read and understand the delivery notes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Interestingly enough, I ordered something yesterday afternoon and flicking between the addresses saved on my account, it would delivered to Dublin on Tuesday but it would be Wednesday before it hit either Belfast for ParcelMotel or a mainland UK address.

Looking at a few more items it seems that with Amazon Logistics and the last mile delivery centre Dublin is now on an equal footing with a Mainland UK address. Picking a variety of catagories, all in stock, sold and delivered by amazon, to a prime account, a set of allen keys, a book from the best sellers list, a teddy bear, and an expensive watch all would be at a Dublin or a Mainland UK address on Wednesday, Thursday to Belfast, or next monday to a makey uppey address in Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If the item is in Manchester or Teeside then it can be loaded into a ULD and delivered to Dublin in a matter of like 6hrs. If they post it out inside the UK its usually up to RM to truck it around which isnt nearly as fast.

Actually, has anyone seen any Prime branded artics running between Dub airport and the new delivery station? You see them a lot on the continent but not seen them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

ED E wrote: »
    Actually, has anyone seen any Prime branded artics running between Dub airport and the new delivery station? You see them a lot on the continent but not seen them here.

Amazon parcels arrive here by truck not plane, so presumably they'd be coming from Dublin Port, not the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rpg

Anyone notice anything odd about product price increases when selecting Ireland instead of UK as delivery address? It appears to be VAT related but definitely incorrect.

For instance buying a Raleigh Children’s Moto X helmet, total price is £15.01 for UK delivery. Selecting Ireland increases to £18.16. Delivery is free in both instances as I have prime.

Contacted chat but no help as usual.

rpg wrote: »
    Anyone notice anything odd about product price increases when selecting Ireland instead of UK as delivery address? It appears to be VAT related but definitely incorrect.

For instance buying a Raleigh Children’s Moto X helmet, total price is £15.01 for UK delivery. Selecting Ireland increases to £18.16. Delivery is free in both instances as I have prime.

It sounds like it's VAT exempt in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

A delivery came at 8pm last night. They are obviously flat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

there is a whole range of protective equipment that is vat exempt in the UK

BohsCeltic wrote: »

I had a delivery at 10 pm on Sunday!

£15.01 plus 21% VAT = £18.16.

That's normal for vat excluded in UK but liable of vat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭Caranica

BohsCeltic wrote: »

That's within their advertised delivery hours. Supposed to be 9am to 9pm but I've had one at 8.24am and someone else here had one at 10pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Knock Knock by Smog on vinyl, with an incognito page and Vpn it's £12.60, without it's out of stock

sweetie wrote: »
    Knock Knock by Smog on vinyl, with an incognito page and Vpn it's £12.60, without it's out of stock

It's in stock when I sign in as usual to Amazon. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's in stock when I sign in as usual to Amazon. :confused:

just changed my delivery address to UK (parcelmotel) and its available too, not for my Irish address though.

Thanks to all who clarified. My ignorance caught me out here! Had no idea about UK VAT exemption for protective equipment.

sweetie wrote: »
    just changed my delivery address to UK (parcelmotel) and its available too, not for my Irish address though.

Yes happening quite frequently, to me also.

Wanted a particular Bosch pressure washer. Completely unavailable when delivery address set to Ireland. Once changed to UK (NI address) the product appeared with the deal price and I made the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I'm wondering is prime worth it . On black friday the was an offer on 4L oil limited to one item per Amazon account. So firstly on my prime account I ordered one 4L can of oil.
    I have another amazon account NOT prime that I very very rarely use which I used to purchase another 4L can of oil which included free shipping.
    Now my non prime item was delivered today and my prime delivery is not due for another two days.
    Both item were dispatched from the same location in the UK and were scanned in to DuB by an post within an hour of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Yep I bought a childs car seat off Amazon UK 5% vat in UK and 23% here . Addresspal worked out cheaper in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Car99 wrote: »
    I'm wondering is prime worth it . On black friday the was an offer on 4L oil limited to one item per Amazon account. So firstly on my prime account I ordered one 4L can of oil.
    I have another amazon account NOT prime that I very very rarely use which I used to purchase another 4L can of oil which included free shipping.
    Now my non prime item was delivered today and my prime delivery is not due for another two days.
    Both item were dispatched from the same location in the UK and were scanned in to DuB by an post within an hour of each other.

Depends how much you use it I guess. I've been getting deliveries almost everyday for the last few weeks, everything from a radiator key to computer parts so for me it's excellent - I also use the streaming service. If you're using it once in a blue moon probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Have to say, much as I hate Amazon these days (their website is awful, it's all geared towards selling what they want you to buy rather than what you're actually looking for), delivery was pretty good.

Ordered some RAM and an SSD Monday evening, RAM delivered lunchtime yesterday, SSD due today.

And that was after selecting free delivery by December 15th. Glad I didn't bother paying extra for express delivery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

MOH wrote: »
    Have to say, much as I hate Amazon these days (their website is awful, it's all geared towards selling what they want you to buy rather than what you're actually looking for), delivery was pretty good.

Ordered some RAM and an SSD Monday evening, RAM delivered lunchtime yesterday, SSD due today.

And that was after selecting free delivery by December 15th. Glad I didn't bother paying extra for express delivery!

No, I take that back. Got a mail saying for today's delivery they "ran into an issue when attempting your delivery. We will try again". But if I have information which would help them complete the delivery, I should update the delivery instructions.

I might be able to do that if they gave me any kind of meaningful information. Can they not find the address? Not access the building? Will the item not fit in the postbox? Are they missing my contact number? Did the driver retreat after beiing attacked by a flock of rabid seagulls?

That's about the level of completely useless information I've come to expect from Amazon.

Advertisement