Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Moomat wrote: »
    Have a mint '95 3.1 Trooper which I gladly see every day! Only 80k miles on it so another 500k to go :D Wouldn't swap it for some of the modern rubbish going around... Has everything you could possible need, heated Recaro seats, panoramic sunroof, heated and foldy in mirrors, digital AC/climate control, even has them lights that light up around the corner when you put you indicator on... Ahh you've got to love the Japs!

Much like my 96 JDM Legend, some brilliant equipment on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Much like my 96 JDM Legend, some brilliant equipment on board!

what's a JDM Legend?

what's a JDM Legend?

Honda Legend, JDM

9162642258_f43c1b88ed_c.jpg

Ahh, now I know! They are an awesome machine. Beautiful car, well ahead of it's time spec wise! I remember Mitsubishi had a large saloon also, monster of a yoke, like a galant on steriods! :D Can't think of the name...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Ahh, now I know! They are an awesome machine. Beautiful car, well ahead of it's time spec wise! I remember Mitsubishi had a large saloon also, monster of a yoke, like a galant on steriods! :D Can't think of the name...

Sigma?

• Advertisement

Been told there is a Nissan Prairie around Tallaght.
    Anyone close by see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,099 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A neighbour of mine had a 1988 Toyota Corolla up to recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Saw a little red '88 Datsun tootling about the Ballyhooley Road today. Car looked in good nick considering the age.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

bazz26 wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine had a 1988 Toyota Corolla up to recently.

I saw that model Corolla with a 1994 reg in white in Nenagh yesterday. It must be a South African import.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs wrote: »
    When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's a 5 year old car was already old and a 10 year old car was positively fossilised. Today you see a LOT of 5 and 10 year old cars on the roads. In most peoples heads an 03 reg is not that old, but it's a decade old.

When you start looking... Damn this thread. :D On my short enough paper run earlier today, I was glued to reg plates. Didn't see anything pre 90's save for the 85 Capri laser I mentioned earlier, but there are an awful lot of 00 to 05 cars out there that are trundling along fine. I was thinking though maybe that is a "boom" thing? That people upgraded during those years, but since the downturn maybe haven't because of finances?

Still, again,going back to my youth in the slightly earlier days of horseless carriages cars, cars have become incredibly reliable by comparison to the past. Outside of some Merc and Volvo models that couldn't be killed short of a direct missile strike(and even then the Volvo...) your average car was generally a collection of parts trying to make it's way to the scrapyard. They recycled themselves :D. Before the Japanese got involved the average driver was a petrolhead almost by necessity and got their hands on the oily bits way more than the average person today. Then the Japanese did get involved and my god I don't need to take a file to my points every few weeks. However after a couple of rainstorms your car would often become Toyko Rusty Red, even if you had ordered and received Midnight blue from the dealer. :eek::)

For my mind anyway I suspect that the period just after the need to take grease to your trunions and just before the cars became mobile computer networks may well be the sweet spot for longevity. I'd near bet that in classic car meets in 2050 there'll be more 1995 cars than 2015 cars still driving in a near original state.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I regularly see a mid 50's Morris Traveller in black, an '82 Ford Cortina or Granada estate in beige, two different '88 Toyota Corolla's a red and a gold, a beautiful late seventies 635csi in black, an early nineties Merc 230CE coupe, my own '95 Primera SRi in black as well as somebody elses one in red, a '79 Audi 100 in silver all floating around Tallaght. Would see most if not all on a weekly basis, they all seem to be driven by mechanics or people in the motor trade.
    We dont take kindly to 'modern cars'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I regularly see a mid 50's Morris Traveller in black, an '82 Ford Cortina or Granada estate in beige, two different '88 Toyota Corolla's a red and a gold, a beautiful late seventies 635csi in black, an early nineties Merc 230CE coupe, my own '95 Primera SRi in black as well as somebody elses one in red, a '79 Audi 100 in silver all floating around Tallaght. Would see most if not all on a weekly basis, they all seem to be driven by mechanics or people in the motor trade.
    We dont take kindly to 'modern cars'!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

I do often see a grey sierra saphire cosworth, a mk3 black cortina, early pre facelift with all the chrome trimmings and a 1991(?) I think silver sierra late model, hatch, i think its a classic (derivative) cuz it has the tinted rear lenses. All about the roselawn area of blanchardstown. Then last month i saw a mk2 jag parked up by leixlip motor Factors, a mk2 black Granada coming out of Bradshaws in newbridge and a 2 dr 240 in front of me coming into clane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

1994 Citroen ZX I think it was.

Once again I shall bring up the point that the Irish know squat about looking after a car. Go to any country on the continent (even the UK are better than us) and you'll see plenty of old Citroens, Pug 205 and 405, Volvos and so on and so forth.

Especially in The Netherlands where the old Fiat Panda is a favourite. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

pajor wrote: »
    1994 Citroen ZX I think it was.

Once again I shall bring up the point that the Irish know squat about looking after a car. Go to any country on the continent (even the UK are better than us) and you'll see plenty of old Citroens, Pug 205 and 405, Volvos and so on and so forth.

Especially in The Netherlands where the old Fiat Panda is a favourite. :pac:

And even fiat cromas of all things. Big cars especially are seen as worth keeping on the road regardless of age.

road_high wrote: »
    And even fiat cromas of all things. Big cars especially are seen as worth keeping on the road regardless of age.

To be fair they rusted like hell and most just didn't last at all.

The thing is in France and the like up until recently you had a Citroen, Pug or Fiat garage in every village who understood the cars. They're mostly still there so the older stuff is easy to keep going and cheap to keep going too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

ba_barabus wrote: »
    To be fair they rusted like hell and most just didn't last at all.

The thing is in France and the like up until recently you had a Citroen, Pug or Fiat garage in every village who understood the cars. They're mostly still there so the older stuff is easy to keep going and cheap to keep going too.

I nearly got sick when I saw this one in a yard in the North earlier this year and all. Felt like new inside, despite having galactic mileage. 2.5TD, such a waste of an epic car that had just been ran in :(:(:(

dgt wrote: »
    I nearly got sick when I saw this one in a yard in the North earlier this year and all. Felt like new inside, despite having galactic mileage. 2.5TD, such a waste of an epic car that had just been ran in :(:(:(

I spotted a few Series 1 Croma's in Spain during the summer. They still looked well and amazingly none had rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I spotted a few Series 1 Croma's in Spain during the summer. They still looked well and amazingly none had rust.

I'd guess the kinder Spanish weather would have something to do with that.

That and they looked after the cars. I even spotted a Seat Malaga in mint condition and numerous old Seat 600's, Renault 6's and lots of other stuff. It can't all be down to the weather as some of them were in the Pyrenees while others were inland where winters can be pretty harsh.

• Advertisement

Plenty of old stuff in Spain alright that would have crumbled away here long ago..... Can't say I saw any rusty yokes when I was there a few weeks ago and a lot of cars were from the 80s

davycc wrote: »
    Sigma?

Thanks!
    That's the beast, mighty motor! Haven't seen one in years, none even on Donedeal, now that's rare! :D

Update on the cars I mentioned

8971162537_4a40a3cc0f_c.jpg
    90 D 31075 - original plates, still on owner number 1, taxed into next year.
    8971161783_28b09c4221_c.jpg
    95 D 34226 - again still on owner number 1 and taxed until next year
    8972353808_86e9dec706_c.jpg
    94 MH 4130 - on owner number 2 but I have no doubt its under long term ownership by its current owner, taxed until next year again.

Just puts a smile on my face.

Oh and to add to the thread I saw an early 80's Bentley today. No pictures sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

had my 1990 bmw out today cruising around

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

i seen a 93mh reg black over graphite alfa 164 TS in na fianna carpark on thurs last! great cars very fond memories of my 1st identical alfa

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Went for a quick walk down the road behind us, this afternoon.

1984 LR Defender - looks like a 90 pickup with a hardtop. Recently reg'd in Ireland.

1989 Golf. Looks like a GTI, but no GTI badge. Nice set of BBS Cross Spokes.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Went for a quick walk down the road behind us, this afternoon.

1984 LR Defender - looks like a 90 pickup with a hardtop. Recently reg'd in Ireland.

1989 Golf. Looks like a GTI, but no GTI badge. Nice set of BBS Cross Spokes.

Some nice spots.

The oldest car in my estate, bar my Renault 5, is a 2000 Toyota Yaris. Everything else is less than 10 years old.

Saw a gulf war spec Hummer driving about earlier.... Yep the oldest vehicle on the road today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Update on the cars I mentioned

8971162537_4a40a3cc0f_c.jpg
    90 D 31075 - original plates, still on owner number 1, taxed into next year.
    8971161783_28b09c4221_c.jpg
    95 D 34226 - again still on owner number 1 and taxed until next year
    8972353808_86e9dec706_c.jpg
    94 MH 4130 - on owner number 2 but I have no doubt its under long term ownership by its current owner, taxed until next year again.

Just puts a smile on my face.

Fiat Tipo not seen one in years. Admire people that keep those old cars on the road. I get more of a thrill out of that than looking at some 132 audi. Yawn

Advertisement