Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

191 reg cars...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

Had a quick look at a new golf online, they've gone up nearly 5k since I looked a few years ago, when did the prices take such a jump, is it the new emission calculations?, I'll be keeping the one I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do they though, is it any significant percentage of new car buyers? Of course there’s no numbers for this sort of thing, but I’d have to disagree with this notion and say that that’s a lazy assumption.

It's definety a thing of the past nice PCP came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

To be fair cars here come well equipped in general these days, low spec versions sell in very tiny numbers now (thankfully). But people still tend to buy them with smallest and/or least powerful possible version of an engine, admittedly in some cases it would be daft to buy a more expensive engine, for example I seem to remember that to upgrade a Jag F-Pace to a six cylinder engine it was €20k extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I'd say it'll be tomorrow. I'm also going with red.

I never get why all dealers don’t open on the 1st of January and 1st of July regardless of what day of the week it is. If you go to the effort and cost of buying a brand new car and order it months in advance you should be able to collect it the first day of the month. I know in this case he got it the 1st but it’s one of a few cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

CIP4 wrote: »
    I never get why all dealers don’t open on the 1st of January and 1st of July regardless of what day of the week it is. If you go to the effort and cost of buying a brand new car and order it months in advance you should be able to collect it the first day of the month. I know in this case he got it the 1st but it’s one of a few cases.

Because even the staff deserve a few days a year off. If you've waited months, 1 more day won't kill you :)

It's like everything retail though, unfortunately for the staff, in time it'll be a 24/7 thing. Everybody wants everything now. Like the people who have to go to Tescos on boxing day for bread and milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Because even the staff deserve a few days a year off. If you've waited months, 1 more day won't kill you :)

It's like everything retail though, unfortunately for the staff, in time it'll be a 24/7 thing. Everybody wants everything now. Like the people who have to go to Tescos on boxing day for bread and milk.

Boxing day? :pac:

Wasn't sure if it was Stephens day or Stevens day so said I'd play it safe :)

I don’t buy that deserving time off thing plenty of people have jobs in industries that operate 365 days a year and they get caught to work plenty of holidays to work myself included. It’s two days a year they should be able to work around it even a half day open would be better than nothing. I think there would be something more special about getting the car on the first day of the month obviously plenty don’t care but for those that do like this guy with the focus.

I don’t buy that deserving time off thing plenty of people have jobs in industries that operate 365 days a year and they get caught to work plenty of holidays to work myself included. It’s two days a year they should be able to work around it even a half day open would be better than nothing. I think there would be something more special about getting the car on the first day of the month obviously plenty don’t care but for those that do like this guy with the focus.

In fact it's really only one day per year as July 1st will fall on a weekday 5 out of 7 times, surely the consumer can tolerate this one day and pick up their car during one of the other 364.

New years to an awful lot of people is a day to be with your family, or it is to me anyway. I'd be dissatisfied if I had to work it personally. You may not value yourself enough to want time off but IMO people in any industry, not just the motor industry deserve a but of time off for family etc around the Christmas break.

If you already work shift or signed up to work those days maybe it isn't too big a deal or you are getting suitably well reimbursed for it but you couldn't put a price on spending those days at home for me, particularly when going to work would entail doing such a non essential service.

Bit of a rant as it's a bit of a bugbear of mine. Nothing is sacred anymore, the consumer must be serviced at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

The last new car I bought I had to wait nearly 2 weeks for my 'slot' to pick it up (it was pdi'd mid December) so I don't think opening on the 1st is going to make much difference to most people buying new cars!

• Advertisement

In fact it's really only one day per year as July 1st will fall on a weekday 5 out of 7 times, surely the consumer can tolerate this one day and pick up their car during one of the other 364.

New years to an awful lot of people is a day to be with your family, or it is to me anyway. I'd be dissatisfied if I had to work it personally. You may not value yourself enough to want time off but IMO people in any industry, not just the motor industry deserve a but of time off for family etc around the Christmas break.

If you already work shift or signed up to work those days maybe it isn't too big a deal or you are getting suitably well reimbursed for it but you couldn't put a price on spending those days at home for me, particularly when going to work would entail doing such a non essential service.

Bit of a rant as it's a bit of a bugbear of mine. Nothing is sacred anymore, the consumer must be serviced at all costs.

Id say we agree to disagree as I don't want to side track the thread and I do see your point to an extent.

Fair enough maybe there isn't a demand for it and most people are happy enough to wait.

I don't think it is fair to say you don't value yourself because you have to work over Christmas holidays though. For many of us it is part and parcel of the Job we signed up to do its just not possible for everyone to have all these days off. Its one extra day not like you would be in for the whole of Christmas away from family.

Infairness if family and time off was so key to a person I can't understand why they would be working in the motor trade in the first place where the vast majority work every Saturday some even Sundays which Garages opening on Sundays seems to be only becoming more common probably partly down to the reason you mentioned above but also for the vast majority of people the weekend is their only opportunity to go looking at cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

I do have to laugh sometimes as this chap looks like the sort of Paddy spec punter who couldn't give a f**k about their spec engine or reg number. I love how Irish people can surprise us. Looks deceiving and all that. Was in Letterkenny yesterday and Hyundai garage had 40 new cars lined up with the persons surname on as a dress plate (23 Tucsons); nice wee order bank to roll into January 1st with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Driving past the local Nissan garage and saw a guy getting the handshake from the sale guy handing over a Black cashcow
    191-c6*

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Work within 30 secs of a Ford dealership, seen a 191 Focus and Fiesta being wheeled away between going on lunch and coming back from lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am a chef, and I spent all this "holiday time" sweating my tits off in a kitchen. So don't tell me about consumers and things sacred.
    I barely sow my family for the last 3-4 weeks and when I sow them I wanted them to go away and let me crawl up some hole and pass out.

Dealers could do a solid at least once a year. And if my car would be ready for 1st of January, then thats when I want to pick it up. Its not like dealers work physical job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think ye are forgetting that the dealers will be relying on various other parties to be available in order to handover brand new cars - banks, the motor tax office, etc. All of those guys are definitely not working on Jan 1st! I think this is another reason most car dealers work short days / skeleton staff on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

But the guy at start of this thread gets his focus 1st January each and every year so it's possible to get a registration done on 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mickdw wrote: »
    But the guy at start of this thread gets his focus 1st January each and every year so it's possible to get a registration done on 1st.

Oh it is possible of course, you have all the vehicles loaded on ROS and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

bs2014 wrote: »
    I do have to laugh sometimes as this chap looks like the sort of Paddy spec punter who couldn't give a f**k about their spec engine or reg number. I love how Irish people can surprise us. Looks deceiving and all that. Was in Letterkenny yesterday and Hyundai garage had 40 new cars lined up with the persons surname on as a dress plate (23 Tucsons); nice wee order bank to roll into January 1st with.

23 Tucsons: How boring. I seen VW was the most popular brand last year and the Tucson the most popular car. How boring. Just people following the heard instead of thinking for them self's and being individuals.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Saw a bmw 216d 191D37 on the way home tonight, pearl white, awful looking rear end on it, fierce bland all together, no idea what they cost, I'm sure you could get a nicer car for same money.

Edit : a €40k car, shocked ! Bland is not the word for it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Seen 3 Tuscans today 191, most be popular this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

€40k for a 2 series :( mad!
    secman wrote: »
    Saw a bmw 216d 191D37 on the way home tonight, pearl white, awful looking rear end on it, fierce bland all together, no idea what they cost, I'm sure you could get a nicer car for same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭elperello

bri007 wrote: »
    Seen 3 Tuscans today 191, most be popular this year

Feckin Italians coming over here taking our 191's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I just hope that old lad pulled a sick burnout leaving the sales yard and left a trail of rubber on the ground shouting out see ye next year lads as he handbrake merged it into traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

secman wrote: »

You sure it wasn't a 218? €36310 possibly another 2k or more discount available on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mickdw wrote: »

No, it's pre-registered before 1st.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well my SO had 27th Dec off for the first time in about 18 years, this year so tbh I'm all for businesses having to close at certain times. There's more to life than sales. .

Otoh, Honda M50 who are the main Honda importers (bikes) won't even open on a Saturday. When else do people go buying stuff like that ffs ??
    I got a test ride at a show in UK at a weekend and subsequently bought it there and shipped it in. Even got colour of choice (which wasn't even an option here).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bri007 wrote:
    €40k for a 2 series mad!

Might be an amazing spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

AMKC wrote: »
    23 Tucsons: How boring. I seen VW was the most popular brand last year and the Tucson the most popular car. How boring. Just people following the heard instead of thinking for them self's and being individuals.

Exactly what I thought. I was a little depressed but at the same time refreshed to see a dealer sell so many when they live right on the border in a shrinking car market. That said a lot of them are prob the 161 heard of Tucsons being flipped into 191 pcps. I see they now have a facelift with hopefully a better infotainment but still by God they are a car I hate. Kia shortage anyday.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    23 Tucsons: How boring... How boring. Just people following the heard instead of thinking for them self's and being individuals.

I don't quite follow. What would an "individual" buy instead?

Advertisement