Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct Translation

• 16-09-2018 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Could someone please help me translate the word "Buistear" or "mbuistear"?
    Online translators are not proving helpful on this...
    Many thanks ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Hi,
    Could someone please help me translate the word "Buistear" or "mbuistear"?
    Online translators are not proving helpful on this...
    Many thanks ;-)

Butcher?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

It seems it's spelt wrong. Think you want búistéir...which is butcher. The second word would be the same but it has the eclipse (orú) 'm'

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Thanks guys for the assist.

I was looking at an online translator for "na mbuistear", it is from a place name, and got "treasurer" and "knocked" as options.

Would either of these translations fit a similar spelling?

Many thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭deirdremf

If it's a placename, it would still mean something to do with a butcher.
    What's the full name?

I'm asking because the only placename I can find on logainm.ie is :-

Geata na mBúistéirí - Butcher's Gate

Hi again,

The full name would be something like "Cnoc na mbuistear". It would be a local place name, not known outside the immediate area.

This is the spelling I have been given so it could be wrong. What is rather confusing is that I checked an online translator, and it gave "Hill of the Treasurer".

Is there a spelling for that word similar to butcher? Its quite curious...

On another note, if the spelling should be for butcher, does that word have multiple interpretations such as in English, or does it simply refer to a person that prepares animals?

Many thanks again! Language is a trickster...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

From what I can see, the spelling "buistéar" appears several times in the Scéim na Scol folklore manuscripts from 1937/38.

It looks like a pre-standardisation spelling of "búistéir", or butcher.

Cnoc na mBuistear might be a translation of Hill of the Butchers (plural). I can't find anything else that fits the spelling pattern.

I thought there may have been an Irish spelling of the word "bursar" that might have fit your query, but none of my usual sources show anything like it.

Thanks to you all for your help on this. It is a very curious name, and surely must have some age to it. Would it simply refer to a place where people once butchered meat or something more? Does the translation of that word have one meaning or could it be also interpreted as a place where something more untoward may have happened?

Advertisement