Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Bixy wrote: »
    Euonymus, possibly fortunei , good as coastal hedge

Thanks Bixy, knew there was something familiar about the stem I seen before but couldn't make the connection. Spindle tree family.

Thanks again much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Hi all
    Just noticed this in my raspberry plant pot? Is it honey fungus??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it is, it's quite old.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know what they are, but I just rooted a ton of them out of my raised bed, where they were very happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

We haven’t gotten around to doing anything with the garden of the house we bought. We have a monster growing at the back wall that I need help to ID.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A picture would help.

Photos were too large, didn’t realise the post had actually gone through!

First one is the monster, second is some kind of shrub I need help with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Echium pinniana - It is a monster - lives for two years, then dies, will grow to about 2 m in its second year - loved by bees but sheds prolific seed so you will be weeding "babies" for a long time. Google and see if you like the look of the plant in its second year - spectacular but a possible nuisance down the line with its offspring! Not native.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Sorry Toulouse - only looked at first picture - second one looks like a rhododendron to me, but others may disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Echiums are beloved by many and not so popular with others - it is a spectacular plant though. The second one won't enlarge properly for me but looks like a rhodo of some sort.

• Advertisement

Oh wow! That’s amazing, we’re very excited to see what colour it will be!! We’ll be leaving it where it is, no plans to do anything major with the garden for at least another year. :D

Thank you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭wildwillow

There are some echiums growing in the garden in Farmleigh House.

Mostly pale blue but I saw them at the end of the season so they may have been more colourful earlier.

They must reach about 12 feet and are truly spectacular. You need lots of space and you will have to careful not to allow too many seedlings to develop.
    Please do post photos when it flowers next year.

Will do!

No idea where it came from but sure it’s the most exciting thing that’s happened in months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's some amazing piece of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 depcon

Can anyone identify this plant . Found behind my shed this afternoon. Is it Japanese knotweed.

Not japanese knotweed. hard to tell without leaves. Thought it might be ash as it seeds very easily but can't see the black buds.

Cut to ground level or below and keep cutting it until it disappears altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 depcon

Have a photo of the last remaining leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looks like a cherry sapling .is there a cherry tree anywhere near

Branches look much redder in that picture. Agree it might be a cherry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

wildwillow wrote: »
    Branches look much redder in that picture. Agree it might be a cherry.
    Ay

Laurel type?

depcon wrote: »
    Can anyone identify this plant . Found behind my shed this afternoon. Is it Japanese knotweed.

I think this is Grey Willow. It will seed anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭rje66

Willow for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sidcon

Anyone any idea what this is. It has grown in our vegetable trough out the back garden,

Anyone any idea what this is. It has grown in our vegetable trough out the back garden,

Identify it https://imgur.com/gallery/ZhME3rE

It might be Mugwort, Artemisia vulgaris, but I have a suspicion that this is Ragweed, Ambrosia artemisifolia, a North American plant. You do not want this in your garden; it produces more pollen than any other plant, but this is not a good thing, it causes serious problems for anyone with allergy/respiratory issues. Get rid before it flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Feverfew ?

blaris wrote: »
    It might be Mugwort, Artemisia vulgaris, but I have a suspicion that this is Ragweed, Ambrosia artemisifolia, a North American plant. You do not want this in your garden; it produces more pollen than any other plant, but this is not a good thing, it causes serious problems for anyone with allergy/respiratory issues. Get rid before it flowers.

Thanks, pulled out now, 3 asthmatic and 2 with heyfever in the house so won't take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

blaris wrote: »

See that or something vv similar in some of pine forests

• Advertisement

Advertisement