Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest lineup for UFC 116, July 3rd, MGM Grand Las Vegas.

• 29-03-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lesnar vs Carwin (HW title unification) - confirmed by DW
    Liddell vs Ortiz III - rumoured to be at 115 or 116
    W Silva vs Akiyama - confirmed by Silva
    Bonner vs Soszynski - confirmed by Bonner

Shaping up nicely so far!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

DrPhilG wrote: »

This fight is now Liddell v Franklin at UFN 22 according to some reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Liddell v Ortiz? Do we really need to see LIDL decimate Ortiz again? Silva v Akiyama should be a fun fight as will the Bonnar one. Dont really care for the Lesnar fight to be honest. Only gonna watch it to hopefully see Lesnar lose

Liddell v Ortiz? Do we really need to see LIDL decimate Ortiz again? Silva v Akiyama should be a fun fight as will the Bonnar one. Dont really care for the Lesnar fight to be honest. Only gonna watch it to hopefully see Lesnar lose

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This fight is now Liddell v Franklin at UFN 22 according to some reports.

That was after rumours of Ortiz pulling out during filming of TUF but it's been denied by Ortiz and Dana White. DW even said that he was working on Franklin vs Randy Couture for 115.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

why the hate for Lesnar,
    I think the Chuck v Ortiz fight should be on a fight night, there both never going to be contenders again, but i can see why there is hype,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Shaping up nicely so far!

Are the UFC stuck for scraps with the repeats and repeat of a repeat of Liddel and ortiz.
    I didnt think bonner vs sosyynski was that good of a match initially to warrant a rematch

davmol wrote: »
    Are the UFC stuck for scraps with the repeats and repeat of a repeat of Liddel and ortiz.
    I didnt think bonner vs sosyynski was that good of a match initially to warrant a rematch

It was the way in which it ended that warrants the rematch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Well if he only destroys 10% of him Ortiz has a good chance of winning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I hope it turns out better than that. This is supposed to be their marquee event.

I hope it turns out better than that. This is supposed to be their marquee event.

I suspect another big fight here.

Title fights in LW, WW and MW are possible given the timescale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I suspect another big fight here.

Title fights in LW, WW and MW are possible given the timescale.

Hope so. An Anderson 205 bout with a game opponent would really beef up that card.

Maybe throw fitch alves or fitch kos on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Why the hell do we need to see soszynki (given up pn spelling that at this stage) beat bonnar again? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

sonic.trip wrote: »
    Why the hell do we need to see soszynki (given up pn spelling that at this stage) beat bonnar again? :rolleyes:

I dont know whether you are rolling your eyes at the thought of this fight or at the above poster. It's hard to tell.

Bonnar deserves a rematch. If a fight goes into the third round and is stopped by a headbutt/groin shot etc, the ref should go to the judges. If he done this it would have been a draw. He didn't and Bonnar lost by TKO, the ref got it completely wrong.

he was all over him in that fight regardless though, cant see him winning the rematch

Pellegrino vs Sotiropolous - rumoured by MMAMania.com
    Reljic vs Grove - various rumours
    T Silva vs Bader - various rumours

The date and venue have now been confirmed by the State Athletic Comission although not announced yet by the UFC.

I could see the Bonner Soszynski fight and Reljic vs Grove if it happens both being on the undercard so hopefully a few good fights still to come for this. Reljic and Grove have both said they hope to fight on this card but it's just speculation that it will be against each other as Reljic is making his MW debut.

Silva said he knows nothing about fighting Bader but I hope there is life in that rumour as it's a fight I'd like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Reijic says he is down to return at 116 and Grove has said he expects return then but I have not heard about the two fighting each other.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Reijic says he is down to return at 116 and Grove has said he expects return then but I have not heard about the two fighting each other.

Yeah as I say it's just speculation, but probably a fight that makes sense too.

Chris Lytle vs Matt Brown is likely, could be a stormer.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/04/21/chris-lytle-vs-matt-brown-in-the-works-for-ufc-116/

Also rumoured...

Brian Foster vs TBC
    Nate Marquardt vs Alessio Sakara
    Roy Nelson vs Cheick Kongo - confirmed by Nelson
    Brendan Schaub vs Chris Tuscherer

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_5041.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

Also rumoured...

Roy Nelson vs Cheick Kongo - confirmed by Nelson

that would be interesting fight has he fought since tuf 10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

magotch07 wrote: »
    that would be interesting fight has he fought since tuf 10

yeah, he knocked Stefan Struve out in first round a few weeks back.

I got Big Roy for this, don't like Kongo, too boring and overated

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    yeah, he knocked Stefan Struve out in first round a few weeks back.

I got Big Roy for this, don't like Kongo, too boring and overated

Yeah agree that Roy takes it. Kongo is completely 1 dimensional and Roy is superb on the ground. Roy is no slouch on his feet either, Knockout of the Night award in his first 2 UFC fights.

It's the battle of the physiques! Kongo looks like he was sculpted from steel, Nelson looks like a melted wax-work.

Nelson has confirmed the fight too, excellent.

Yeah agree that Roy takes it. Kongo is completely 1 dimensional and Roy is superb on the ground. Roy is no slouch on his feet either, Knockout of the Night award in his first 2 UFC fights.

It's the battle of the physiques! Kongo looks like he was sculpted from steel, Nelson looks like a melted wax-work.

Nelson has confirmed the fight too, excellent.

When ya look at Kongo ya think he's just gonna be a beast, but you're right, only has 1 thing goin for him.

Cain threw him about like a rag doll for 15mins, I got Roy by unanimous decision here

scudzilla wrote: »
    Cain threw him about like a rag doll for 15mins, I got Roy by unanimous decision here

I'm not even that generous! Nelson by sub within the first 2 rounds. Kongo keeps blabbering about how much he has worked on his ground game and then keeps getting dominated on the ground.

I think Fat Nelson is a one trick pony and is coming to the end of his ladder climb with kongo, that or kongo is getting ko'd in the first. should be a great fight though :D

I think Fat Nelson is a one trick pony

Which is his 1 trick then? The black belt in BJJ or the 2 first round KO's since arriving in the UFC? :confused:

Which is his 1 trick then? The black belt in BJJ or the 2 first round KO's since arriving in the UFC? :confused:

Sorry, two trick pony

How about the 20 crucixes by smothering opponents with his belly in TUF and the 2 ko's from his last 2 fights. Really hope kongo brings him down to reality in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sorry, two trick pony

How about the 20 crucixes by smothering opponents with his belly in TUF and the 2 ko's from his last 2 fights. Really hope kongo brings him down to reality in this one.
    2 tricks?
    BJJ Black Belt
    KO Power
    Very Strong Chin
    Excellent top control (which yes the belly helps with)
    Great cardio (can't remember seeing him gas in a long time)
    Yes he has an ego and a mouth but he can back it up.He was always the favourite to win TUF and deservedly so

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

I think Rampage said it best when he said

"It's like havin the moon on you, how you gonna move with the moon sittin on you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

I think the fat jokes are a bit immature, the guy is a great fighter, hope he knocks that french **** out(yes im an immature guy to what of it).

• Advertisement

Roy is a cool guy, he's done everything in UFC that's been asked of him, he risked a lot by going on TUF, if he'd lost in first round of fights it'd be a long way back for him.

He won the series, with a first round KO, Beat Struve by KO in 1st round and more than that, the guy's a character.

Hope he beats the ****e outta kongo

Advertisement