Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Liaison

Some nice thunder storms over cork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Cork Airport warning, valid up to 14:30

EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 171217/171330 TS FCST=

553322.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met &#201 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Cork, Waterford
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms this afternoon and early this evening, bringing some heavy downpours with the risk of spot flooding and hail.

Valid: 13:46 Monday 17/05/2021 to 18:00 Monday 17/05/2021

Issued: 13:47 Monday 17/05/2021

Yellow weather warning issued for Cork and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭EnzoScifo

It just got twilight dark in Cork City. Hope the fun continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    It just got twilight dark in Cork City. Hope the fun continues!

Just got back from sunny youghal to this pitch black menace. Let’s have some fun!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,917 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Waterford is quite warm at the moment and thunderheads starting to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Looks like the voltage is quite high over Dungarvan at the mo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gamma Flash

Some rumbles in south kilkenny, v dark dungarvan to waterford along copper coast

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Cork, Waterford

Scattered thunderstorms this afternoon and early evening, bringing some heavy downpours with the risk of spot flooding and hail.

Valid: 15:43 Monday 17/05/2021 to 18:00 Monday 17/05/2021

Issued: 15:43 Monday 17/05/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

distant rumbles over the last 30 mins or so, waterford city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭pauldry

7c in Cork and 4.4mm rain.

Good old May

• Registered Users Posts: 9,917 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Trying to get anywhere is a nightmare with the amount of drivers that seem to have forgotten basic rules of the road grrrrr

Heavy rain in Waterford and Dunmore East but nothing else

Dark clouds spilling in here near Arklow at the moment
    I'd say the sferics are gone though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭highdef

A few shots of the showery skies in North Kildare this afternoon:

The second two videos were supposed to be one longer video but I lost connection with the drone and the recording stopped :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 npokilkenny

Some very heavy rain in North Kilkenny (near Tullaroan) this afternoon.
    Followed by some very impressive lightning

Not often you can see it so clearly during the day light hours

Since around 6.30pm there is a much fresher feel to the weather and the sun has made a reappearance.

Edit; looking east towards Castlecomer/Athy area there still seems to be allot of very tall cloud tops.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice line of convection producing thunderstorms along the Southern coasts today with convergence very much in effect I would reckon , decent surface temperatures and cold upper pool with good lapse rate as the trough made progress across the South of the country. Heard there was very heavy rain near Killarney but only a light shower over near Tralee.

UrDZw2x.png

H39YZgR.png

pN98lJ3.png

qUtEzex.png

MciJGYQ.png

Funnell just outside Tralee near Camp on the Dingle Rd. this morning.

https://twitter.com/MartinO50713693/status/1394219577576509442?s=20

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Has the look of having widespread similar type thunderstorms tomorrow, short lived pulse type storms but the uppers are that bit colder then of late with a bit more Deep layer shear although not as warm as it was along the S today. Again convergence zones and sea breezes and orographic lift coming into effect.

Scattered thunderstorms could break out in areas away from the Western coastal areas and look to peak in the Eastern half of the country in the afternoon and again along S and SE coasts I reckon.

fzf9m2O.png

i9gljQX.png

irD63dp.png

VZMhPPn.png

RN8aHgM.png

KIflkYu.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Some impressive looking dark cumulonimbus clouds looking out my window in Dublin 16. Most likely no thunderstorms tonight but maybe tomorrow will be the day for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

And here's Knock airport, with the weather station enclosure that greener part of that square grass area in the centre of the picture, just to the right of that building with the light blue roof. The airport is closed for a few days, so all hourly reports are automated, with no weather or cloud data.

51185892028_6d98abc654_b.jpg

51185891943_6166f879b7_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Met Éireann showing higher temperatures than I thought for the East tomorrow, will be interesting to see if the convection kicks off in the afternoon.

A not too insignificant rotating lowering/funnel passed directly over me at home late this evening in North Kildare. I was positioned at the south west end of a hefty shower, just about away from its rain core. I'd estimate the bottom of the funnel like feature was somewhere between 50m and 100m above ground level. Was very interesting to. Did a very quick timelapse of it with my phone as it passed. Apologies for the big change in exposure level in the video, was trying to darken the scene a little but the phone went overboard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Great captures!

Big convection brewing here in Tralee, slowly moving inland, bit of heat off the sun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

ME mentioning hail and lightning in their latest update at 10:21 for this evening in the midlands, east and southeast. We shall see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kilkenny, Louth, Meath, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Waterford

Thundery showers with the risk of lightning and local hail.

Valid: 14:00 Tuesday 18/05/2021 to 20:00 Tuesday 18/05/2021

Issued: 11:32 Tuesday 18/05/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some lovely deep blue skies here in Castlebar with towering clouds building and moving east.

Some cauliflower heads beginning to form in dungarvan area

• Advertisement

Anvil developing to west direction lismore & mallow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement