Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old address in Sandymount 1920's

• 20-12-2020 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm looking for an address: St Clare's Park Sandymount.
    I've searched all records with no luck and can't find this location. I believe this address may have been one of the cottages built under the Land Act during the1920's for ex-servicemen? Can anyone point me in the right direction or suggest where I could obtain a street a map of Sandymount during that period?
    Thanks
    Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Thom's Street Directory for a year around that time might help? A full set is available in the research library in Pearse Street.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you seen this? doesn't seem to come to any easy conclusion though:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=421259.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=421259.0

Look at who the OP is in that thread....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nicknobbyclark

Thanks magicbastarder

That's actauly my old post and unfortunately I didn't get much further. However, I do believe the St Clare's Park address maybe a cottage built for ex-serviceman? The address appears on two of my family documents but I've tried for a long time now to find the actual location I so trying again on the boards.ie forum to see if anyone can help.
    I'm currently in England so can't get to Dublin just now to carry out further family research.

Garlinge wrote: »
    Thom's Street Directory for a year around that time might help? A full set is available in the research library in Pearse Street.

Thanks
    I'll try when I'm next in Dublin.
    I'm currently living in the UK so wondering if there's anything online?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

BowWow wrote: »
    Look at who the OP is in that thread....;)
    Doh!

Thanks
    I'll try when I'm next in Dublin.
    I'm currently living in the UK so wondering if there's anything online?
    You've tried the 25 inch map on the osi site? Would date from around 1910 so might be a little early for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Findmypast has Thoms 1910

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭kildarejohn

[ However, I do believe the St Clare's Park address maybe a cottage built for ex-serviceman? .[/QUOTE]

If this was an ex-serviceman's house, then you may find some info in the thread "Houses for Heroes" on this forum. (just put that in search box). Post #21 in that thread mentions soldiers houses built Sandymount 1923. Post #31 includes photo of Sandymount houses. Post #38 says "recognised the ones in Sandymount". So you might try PM to the relevant posters in that thread.

[ However, I do believe the St Clare's Park address maybe a cottage built for ex-serviceman? .

If this was an ex-serviceman's house, then you may find some info in the thread "Houses for Heroes" on this forum. (just put that in search box). Post #21 in that thread mentions soldiers houses built Sandymount 1923. Post #31 includes photo of Sandymount houses. Post #38 says "recognised the ones in Sandymount". So you might try PM to the relevant posters in that thread.[/QUOTE]

Having spent a bit of time on Google Street view, the only houses in Sandymount which match the distinctive architectural style in the photo I refer to in my previous post are in Seafort Gardens, and the part of Sandymount road opposite. If OP has a photo of his ancestors house then he/she can check if it matches with Seafort Gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No street of that name in the 1921 and 1943 Thoms

Remember Sandymount was in Pembroke Township not Dublin Corporation and is hence listed separately in Thoms not only through the period of Pembroke Township existing but for quite some years afterwards too as they took a long time to merge the listings - its still split in 1943 when the Township ceased to be in 1930!

There is a single entry in the INA, someones address - 10 Herbert Villas, St Clare Park, Sandymount. Herbert Villas also doesn't exist anymore, but I'll go look for that in Thoms now

Re- possibility that "St. Clare's Park" might be the same place as Seafort Gardens.
    Based on 2 sources-
    1) osi.ie "Cassini" map dating from 1930's has it, but not on osi 25" map from c. 1910's. On map it is directly across road from grounds of Claremount House, so perhaps the name St. Clare's Park came from that and was used for a few years before the Seafort name.
    2) findmypast.ie historic newspapers has article from Irish Times 1927 about winners of garden competition in Seafort Gardens, ex-servicemen.

Thanks for this.

The 10 Herbert Villas address is interesting. Wouldn't this suggest that St Clares Park was an area in Sandymount albeit small but maybe a street or a row of villias?

After years of searching I've never seen any mention of St Clares Park apart from on my fathers birth certificate in 1924 and a marriage certificate.

I will check out Thoms

Re- possibility that "St. Clare's Park" might be the same place as Seafort Gardens.
    Based on 2 sources-
    1) osi.ie "Cassini" map dating from 1930's has it, but not on osi 25" map from c. 1910's. On map it is directly across road from grounds of Claremount House, so perhaps the name St. Clare's Park came from that and was used for a few years before the Seafort name.
    2) findmypast.ie historic newspapers has article from Irish Times 1927 about winners of garden competition in Seafort Gardens, ex-servicemen.

Does the winner have a name and full address?

Does the winner have a name and full address?

See article about garden competition winners
    Irish Times 24-10-1927.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I had a quick look at the 6" Cassini map on geohive, didn't make out a St. Clare's park, but I'm probably in need of my morning coffee:

http://map.geohive.ie/

The 25" map is also available but is earlier (1888-1913)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭donaghs

Interesting thread. Had a quick loook myself and couldn't find a St Clare Pk in Sandymount (doesnt mean it wasnt there one).
    interesting to see the Shelbourne football ground was in the village where Seafort Gardens are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

donaghs wrote: »
    Interesting thread. Had a quick loook myself and couldn't find a St Clare Pk in Sandymount (doesnt mean it wasnt there one).
    interesting to see the Shelbourne football ground was in the village where Seafort Gardens are now.
    I think Shels and Shamrock Rovers both originated in the Ringsend area

Advertisement