Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Network Group in Cork

• 04-09-2006 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey guys

I'm Irish, recently returning back to Cork after several years working abroad. I've just started a social network group, for those like myself returning to Cork after working away, or for anyone else who'd like to expand their social network. So far there are 10 of us, guys and gals, in the 25-40 age group.

The idea is do something casual, meet up a pub in the city once a fortnight, and have some fun. So if you're interested in joining in, send me a PM here and I'll let you know when our next meet-up is.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭howareyoudoin'

On the site, that is.

Corkonian who was away for nearly 6 years. Got back in '03. A few things have worked out, but social life still not a patch on my life abroad. Maybe I haven't tried hard enough...but it's harder in a place that you feel that you should already know. Most of friends here now married with kids...can't deal with spontanaeity Not looking for mad, boozing, crazy social life...just people to go for dinner with, call after a crappy day at work to go for a beer with, go to the flicks with....whatever. No-one here seems to do anything here without checking their appointment book first...why???

Anyway...love your idea. Would love to meet like-minded people.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AutumnDays

Update on this group.

The Network group has really taken off. We are currently about 40 members at the moment. If you're interested in joining, drop me a line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cindirs

Was just going to start thread on this. Fantastic idea- 27 yrs old. Not away just not as sociable as i used to be and stuck in rut. Mad to meet new people who are mad for bit of craic like myself- keep me posted.!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 peveril13

hey there!
    Im 30, lived away for 7 years and thou been back a while now still not been able to meet so many ppl.
    would love to hook up with ur group sometime, it sounds great
    JRD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

Hi,

I just joined and wondered if it was still possible to get information on the group?

kashi

• Advertisement

The idea is do something casual, meet up a pub in the city once a fortnight, and have some fun. So if you're interested in joining in, send me a PM here and I'll let you know when our next meet-up is.

Hi Kashi, great to hear from you. Send me a PM with your email - have you been working abroad and just coming home?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cork_ie

What age range is your group. I am mid 40's and would be interested in getting involved in a group like yours.

There are 40 or so of us, in the 25-40 age group. Alot of Irish who have lived abroad, and some English, Aussies and Americans who have moved here. If you fit the bill, drop me a mail with your email address and I'll add you to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

Hello, if this group is still active I would love more info. I have sent a PM. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 farrellm

Hello there, just wondering if this club is still in operation and if so when you are next meeting up?

• Advertisement

Yes, the group is still running. Over 100 members at this stage - mainly the 25-40 age group, professionals working in Cork. A lot of expats returning.

Have to emphasis to everyone out there, it's a network club, not a dating club (just to avoid any weirdos! :D). So if this sounds like your sort of thing farrellm, do PM me and I'll give you the details of the next meet up - which is Friday 28th November in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

PM sent:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 minicat

Hey guys,

Been on Boards a while but havent posted till now. Would be very

interested in joining the social network club. Am working and living in Cork

and it would be great to meet some new people. Have sent PM.

Minicat.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Silehealy

hey interested in finding about group is there a venue planned for next meeting maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 forevertree

hey just wondering where the next meet up venue is - are new members welcome ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Autumndays can you please pm me the details also please. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Why not make it public? Like this:

http://corcaigh.ning.com/

(Feel free to set up your own, I just created that a minute ago.)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Why not make it public?

I'm guessing it is kept private so that only people who are serious about joining the club know about where the meetups are etc....That way they do not get randomers appearing.....that would be my guess anyway...

Anyone serious about becoming a member (like myself) will request details.

Hi guys

I'll answer your PM's now! Basically the group is going really strong, started off with a few of us, but now well over 100 members. I'm trying to keep it to people with things in common - 25-40 age group, professionals, people who have done a bit of travelling or lived abroad - married, singles, couples, we have them all. We're a social/network group (not a dating club I hasten to add!).
    Why not make it public?
    Exactly Kingtut - it's a kind of exclusive 'club' - and I'm keen to keep it that way. I like to ask people to tell me about themselves first, before telling them about our get-togethers - want to avoid any wierdos! It seems to be working so far, they're a real great bunch of people...! :D

Anyone who is interested in joining - if they could PM me and just tell me a little bit about themselves - basically, if you think you might fit our group profile. Sounds very corporate I know, but the formula just seems to be working....!

Whatever floats your boat I guess. Groucho Marx said it best...

The Ning network I set up is self-sub anyway, all welcome: Boardsies, non-Boardsies, randomers, weirdos, etc.

www.corcaigh.org

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 forevertree

dff

Hi guys

Thanks for your Pm's - have PM'd you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mickey2008

I am interested in joining your group...Can you tell me when and where you meet up?
    Thanks

mickey2008 wrote: »
    I am interested in joining your group...Can you tell me when and where you meet up?
    Thanks

Anyone who is interested in joining - if they could PM me and just tell me a little bit about themselves - basically, if you think you might fit our group profile. Sounds very corporate I know, but the formula just seems to be working....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Whatever floats your boat I guess. Groucho Marx said it best...

I'm assuming you're referring what he said about not wanting to join a club that would accept him as a member. But what springs to mind for me is what he said about having "a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it".

The worryingly thing is the whole "exclusive" vibe with a screening process hinged upon the whim of AutumnDays. How many people have you rejected as weirdos so far? How would you determine who is a weirdo and who is not? I could throw out some far fetched examples to illustrate the point but you see what I'm getting at...

Obviously it's your game so you can play it however you want, but as an uninterested randomer offering 2 cents, Cork is a small place. You've done a good job drumming up so many people, but unless you're building your own private army, why the need for behind-the-scenes formality? I'm not a fan of politics, and the "it has worked fine so far" logic justifies nothing and does not mean it is the best approach.

That was my thought, I just didn't want to say for fear of being accused of trolling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

As part of this Group - I would like to congratulate Autumn Days for doing an absolutely fantastic job!!! We are a very like minded group of people - a lot of us have worked abroad, or other Counties for years and returned to Cork, some people have relocated to Cork through work. Whatever "formula" Autumn Days uses absolutely works. If some of you Boardsie people don't like the concept - start your own Social Group. Because that is what it is - a Social Group - for "like minded people".

Thank you Autumn Days - I've met some true friends through this Group!!! J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Judes wrote: »
    If some of you Boardsie people don't like the concept - start your own Social Group. Because that is what it is - a Social Group - for "like minded people".

I can never understand this way of thinking... why can't I just voice my opinion on it without having to start my own social group? Just offering my 2c on a public discussion forum, and you are applying the same false logic as AutumnDays "it seems to be working well, so therefore it is the correct approach".

Regarding the fact that your group is only for "like minded people", this is kind of what I was getting at initially. How "like minded" do you have to be? Do you want to define your entry criteria? Judes, are you implying that I'm not "like minded" simply because I voice an opinion that the group should be more open rather than having all membership privately approved by 1 guy? And because of this one slight difference, I should go and set up a whole new group?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Well, I can't speak for anyone but myself........................... And you have my thoughts - which of course, I'm entitled to express too!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

I'll have to remember about this when/if I return, it sounds like a great idea

I moved here randomly from Scotland just over 7 years ago, aged 19. I decided on thurdsay night i'm going to leave in Spring to go travelling/work, starting in mainland Europe then see where I end up.

Advertisement