Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The mushroom kingdom is a great world to explore and well worth doing. The moon levels, well it's mostly picture puzzles which are fun, and a boss rush, which can be infuriating.

I've got a ton in Mushroom already, but need 70 odd more to progress. I'm getting a bit tired running around the map tbh, looking for more. Kinda ready to move on now, Lone Echo awaits...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have you opened up the box on the moon yet?

It opens up a tonne of new challenges and it's pretty easy to keep track of them in the menu.

The moon boxes on each level open up all the new challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Finishing up getting 100% in the first Spyro game of the Reignited trilogy. Quite enjoyable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Havn't played much in the last few weeks. Had another go at Darkwing Duck on the NES but didn't manage to complete it.

Played Mario is Missing! and completed it. Awful game, it's an educational game which I didn't realise before hand. The map view and the initial use of pipes had my expectations up but then you just walk around asking characters questions, collecting some items and returning them, repetitive boredom. Decided to complete it when I realised you can't be killed or anything just to get my completed NES games number up. :o

IMAG0294.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Could be worse, could be LoZ on a CDi!

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have you opened up the box on the moon yet?

It opens up a tonne of new challenges and it's pretty easy to keep track of them in the menu.

The moon boxes on each level open up all the new challenges.

No, after beating Bowser, I’m in mushroom kingdom and can’t go anywhere until a collect a slightly stupid amount of power stars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Inviere wrote: »
    No, after beating Bowser, I’m in mushroom kingdom and can’t go anywhere until a collect a slightly stupid amount of power stars.

Go to the moon. There's a metallic object in every world. Once you open the one on the moon you can open it on every world. Opens up loads of new moons and challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

I have all my stuff in storage for the last two and a bit years but went up today to check on everything, make sure nothing is damp etc

Brought home a gameboy, my dingoo I bought off kerbdog here years and years ago, and my atari lynx with a ton of games, so planning on some hardcore handheld gaming yo

Lone Echo

Ok, so it's not retro...but it's the first proper 'game' I've played in VR, and man, they got it damned right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Spent a few minutes Googling trying to dislodge a, 'brain flea'..

Search terms, plenty of lava, grating, chains, graveyard, first level, first person, 1996, wizard, barbarian.. eventually led me to Witchaven (1995) (Wikipedia), that then led me to *exactly* what I wanted..

A thread over at duke4.net led me to this archive.org post, covering the cover disc of PC Gamer CD-ROM August 1996 Issue 33..

CiDeRmAn, did you have this..? a few of you must have remembered this particular full jewel case cover disc. I adored it..

The CD had an exclusive demo of Witchaven II: Blood Vengeance on it. I played that more than I'd care to admit, on a Mitsubishi Apricot MS540, Pentium 75. Purchased from Totterdells, in Dun Laoghaire, South County Dublin, for an eye watering amount.. £££

DosBox to the rescue, brain flea dislodged..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't know that one!

Lone Echo

Ok, so it's not retro...but it's the first proper 'game' I've played in VR, and man, they got it damned right.

Just finished it there. Amazing immersion, and a real case of VR done right. All in all I'd say it was about an hour or so too long...it began to feel like jumping through hoops near the end, but thoroughly enjoyable game. VR isn't ready to take over from TV gaming yet (if it ever will), but it offers something a TV never can...the sense of scale, depth, and immersion is truly incredible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just finished it there. Amazing immersion, and a real case of VR done right. All in all I'd say it was about an hour or so too long...it began to feel like jumping through hoops near the end, but thoroughly enjoyable game. VR isn't ready to take over from TV gaming yet (if it ever will), but it offers something a TV never can...the sense of scale, depth, and immersion is truly incredible.

Did you get yourself Tetris Effect? Looks and sounds incredible, say it's something in VR. Been on a binge lately watching CTWC, strangely addictive watching folks play Tetris. And the geek in me is impressed with the software written to display the game play that we see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Lone Echo

Great game, also try skyrim and robo recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I downloaded Steep from Ps+ yesterday. I was hoping it would be a bit like SSX on the PS2, which is a franchise im a big fan of, the SSX on the 360 was a fantastic game.

Steep is not a good game. It looks fantastic but dont waste your time on it.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Did you get yourself Tetris Effect? Looks and sounds incredible, say it's something in VR. Been on a binge lately watching CTWC, strangely addictive watching folks play Tetris. And the geek in me is impressed with the software written to display the game play that we see.

No not tried that yet, looks good though.
    Great game, also try skyrim and robo recall.

I have Robo Recall, and played it a few times when I first got the rift. Is it a proper game, ie, has it got a beginning middle and end, or does it just keep throwing robots at you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Completed Little Samson on the NES. Great game, a little repetitive in parts. Visuals are really nice.

IMAG0340.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0379.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

A source port of sorts..

Munching away at The Original Strife: Veteran Edition (gog.com)

Fixes a lot of bugs/user interface issues from the DOS version. Turns the game from a bit of a grind to something a lot more enjoyable.

The game still holds up, in my opinion. Turning off 'Bloom' cures a lot of the mouse lag issues some players encounter.

Available on Steam too, but I just wanted to download and play without any game clients installed etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I can't stop playing Dead Cells. It's just such a good game. Keep trying to quit it and continue Octopath - but after about 30 minutes of that I end up going back to Dead Cells again.

Master of the Universe

So after 10 hours, Octopath Traveller is boring me to tears. Boring stories, boring progression, just boring. Looks gorgeous and the battles are fun but that's about it. The last few times I've played it, I've actually fallen asleep.

Has anyone played through Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I loved the first, but found X to be a bit uninspired, so not sure whether to drop on 2. Really need a decent RPG to tide me over.

It's either that or Mario Odyssey. I'm a bit Mario'ed out at the moment though after playing through Super Mario 3D Land on the WiiU.

Also haven't played a Splatoon game, so am considering Splatoon 2.

Just realised this is probably more apt in the Nintendo forum :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

o1s1n wrote: »

Has anyone played through Xenoblade Chronicles 2? I loved the first, but found X to be a bit uninspired, so not sure whether to drop on 2. Really need a decent RPG to tide me over.

The bits when your actually playing are good, though it took me until hour 40 to fully grasp the battle system. Almost every single cutscene is cringe inducing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

So after 10 hours, Octopath Traveller is boring me to tears. Boring stories, boring progression, just boring. Looks gorgeous and the battles are fun but that's about it. The last few times I've played it, I've actually fallen asleep.

It's either that or Mario Odyssey. I'm a bit Mario'ed out at the moment though after playing through Super Mario 3D Land on the WiiU.

Splatoon 2 is quite good as a casual spend an hour or so game, game modes are fun. If you want RPG then new Dragon Quest is pretty good, not sure if it is on Switch though.

Don't get the love for it either. There's just so much talking and the writing isn't good enough to make it interesting.

People keep saying it's like a 16 bit RPG but it's the furthest thing from it. Those games were tightly paced and didn't waste your time whereas octopath is the same issue that has plagued games for the last 10 years, too much boring badly paced exposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Yakuza 0 is the first RPG I've enjoyed and finished in fecking ages. The writing is so good! It's got so many humorous touches and golden era Sega goodness about it. Playing a little Kiwami now but it doesn't seem quite as well put together. I'll tip away at it occasionally though.

I realised Jeff Minter's Minotaur Arcade Volume 1 is out the other day so been playing that a bit. Getting on with it better than Space Giraffe (the last game of his I played). Ended up playing both games for an hour each the other night without getting bored which is a good sign with these kinds of 3 minute blast games. The graphics can be a bit busy to tell what the hells going on at first but when you get accustomed to the sound queues and stuff the 'zone' quality really kicks in I was consistently doing better every time so wasn't frustrating in that respect.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

As far as RPGs on the Switch go, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA is supposed to be fairly decent iirc. Have had it on my wish list for ages but the thing never seems to go on sale. :D

I got excited there for a second but, no, Minotaur Arcade isn't out on PSVR... still...

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    As far as RPGs on the Switch go, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA is supposed to be fairly decent iirc. Have had it on my wish list for ages but the thing never seems to go on sale. :D

Nice one, I'll check it out - I haven't ever actually played any of the Ys games, been on my list for years.

In the meantime I went ahead and bought Doom yesterday, couldn't be farther from an RPG :D

Ys: VIII is so much better than decent. It's an absolutely cracking ARPG.

I'd highly recommend it. The Ys games are fantastic. The combat is just insanely fast and fun and it's way more action than RPG. Nobody does ARPG better than Falcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Yeah there's no concrete date on PS4 Minotaur Arcade yet. Giles does all the ports and getting through console approval process is a bit of a headache from what I gather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Not exactly retro (but related to retro!), playing the resident evil 2 remake. Only have an hour or two each night max, but what a game!

Has a few drawbacks compared to the original, but the best modern game ive played in years and years. Actually looking forward eagerly to playing it each time :)

Advertisement