Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible new sites discovered near Newgrange

• 11-07-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

Looks like the heatwave has uncovered possible new neolithic sites South-west of Newgrange!!

3.jpg

Mythical Ireland on Facebook posted this
    I’m shaking with excitement as I write this….

Myself and Ken Williams of Shadows and Stone imaged some very substantial and previously unrecorded features in the fields near Newgrange this evening.

They look like giant henges or enclosures…

If these turn out to be substantial discoveries, then I would be nothing short of utterly elated, chuffed and excited.

We’re already discussing them with an archaeologist and to say he’s very excited is a huge understatement!

Meanwhile excavations near Newgrange are taking place in recent days but have nothing to do with this new discovery!
    Irish Times

This phenomenon is frequent with dramatic drought event, something similar is happening in Wales and it is basically a great time to be sending drones and planes to survey the landscape for new features like this!

This one near Newgrange is particularly unsual as despite extensive radar / solar imagery done before, nothign of that shape was ever discovered, best was probably this feature:

1.png

OSI 1995 Ortho shows nothing at all (unsure if image is post heatwave of 1995):

2.png

DKIT PDF of the entire survey for Boyne Area: HERE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Is the original image of stones burried under the soil or what causes the moisture difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My reading was that it was found in 2015. Current heatwave nothing to do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

My reading was that it was found in 2015. Current heatwave nothing to do with it!

My bad, the irishtimes article is about the excavations taking place near it but its something different totally!!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Is the original image of stones burried under the soil or what causes the moisture difference

So that is the idea yes, but what you see is grass greener at the spot where a structure is present underneath, trapping moisture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ZeRoY wrote: »
    My bad, the irishtimes article is about the excavations taking place near it but its something different totally!!

I'm badder :D

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/massive-unknown-henge-discovered-at-newgrange-thanks-to-drought-and-drone-37105154.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The darker areas indicate an area that retains more water than the surrounding area. This usually indicates a cut: something like a ditch or a pit. Plants (grass in this case) survive better because of the available moisture in the current conditions, and appear darker as a consequence. These are usually referred to as cropmarks.
    By contrast, areas that contain a high concentration of stone etc. tend to do the opposite - they dry out more quickly relative to the surrounding vegetation. These are known as parch marks, and appear lighter in colour than the surrounding area - when viewed from the air.
    Both kinds of marks are essential to recognising archaeological features in the landscape from aerial imagery.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The 'new' Newgrange henge was identified this week by a regular contributor to this forum, Ken Williams.
    Congratulations are due. This is not only an astonishing find, it is also a salutary lesson in the importance of recognising that these conditions might not be seen again for decades, having the intelligence to go out and have a look, and having the instinct to know where to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Amazing find, incredible it wasn't discovered before. Well done Ken.
    Dusting off the drone tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Amazing, exciting, incredible!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

slowburner wrote: »
    The 'new' Newgrange henge was identified this week by a regular contributor to this forum, Ken Williams. Congratulations are due.
    That they are.
    Go Ken! :)
    This is not only an astonishing find, it is also a salutary lesson in the importance of recognising that these conditions might not be seen again for decades, having the intelligence to go out and have a look, and having the instinct to know where to look.
    One thing surprises me a little; namely why at least some of these features weren't spotted before, particularly in the much longer drought of 1976(there was another less severe one in the 90s). I suppose more people being informed and interested and the use of drones and the interwebs that helps spread information so rapidly has facilitated stuff like this. It's bloody brilliant either way. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

So brilliant.

https://mythicalireland.com/MI/blog/ancient-sites/the-new-henge-of-newgrange-a-once-in-a-lifetime-discovery/

37073150_1343509355782766_7803256025443729408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=82b4001eaf11b7336d7d2b729abd7b1d&oe=5BD85332

As far as I know there was a tendency to burn ceremonial structures, looks like post holes left behind - incredible diameters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

TBH I am totally blown away by this. One can only hope that Ireland has the resources to benefit from these truly amazing finds.

tac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

new passage tomb found at dowth hall during dig:

https://twitter.com/DrCiaranMcDonn/status/1018827587752267776

Is there any chance of this amazing news being posted on another site that is not 'Twitchface'?

TIA.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭jmcc

tac foley wrote: »
    Is there any chance of this amazing news being posted on another site that is not 'Twitchface'?

TIA.

tac
    https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2018/0716/979038-dowth-hall-meath-megalithic/

Regards...jmcc

Thank you, Sir or Madame.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Malayalam wrote: »
    So brilliant.

https://mythicalireland.com/MI/blog/ancient-sites/the-new-henge-of-newgrange-a-once-in-a-lifetime-discovery/

37073150_1343509355782766_7803256025443729408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=82b4001eaf11b7336d7d2b729abd7b1d&oe=5BD85332

As far as I know there was a tendency to burn ceremonial structures, looks like post holes left behind - incredible diameters

So, I don't do sums good, but is that another, another henge?
    :eek:

• Advertisement

baaba maal wrote: »
    So, I don't do sums good, but is that another, another henge?
    :eek:

Don't know. We were wondering the same at the weekend while looking over the photos and articles...is it one new discovery (the double ringed one in middle) or is the other one at bottom also a new discovery?

Just to follow up re second circle, Mythical Ireland on their facebook page says...

''Some of you have been at pains to point out the second circle visible in some of my aerial images of the new discovery. This second circle is, in fact, a previously designated enclosure/henge which surrounds a passage-tomb, and is designated site LP2 in the 2010 INSTAR report.''

So, it is a previously known henge found in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

So what it is it we're really looking at here?

Is it like a recumbent stone circle dedicated to the moon?
    I say like as it could have been made of timber.

But it's interesting that the features in the 3 circles all line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Malayalam wrote: »
    Just to follow up re second circle, Mythical Ireland on their facebook page says...

''Some of you have been at pains to point out the second circle visible in some of my aerial images of the new discovery. This second circle is, in fact, a previously designated enclosure/henge which surrounds a passage-tomb, and is designated site LP2 in the 2010 INSTAR report.''

So, it is a previously known henge found in 2010.

Ah! So the linear feature in the middle of it may be an excavation trench I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

Sorry to go off topic with this. Might go to Newgrange tomorrow but see that its a booked out online but a limited number of walk ins are available. Would I get in if we arrived at around 11:00am or is it a waste of time... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Slightly off topic but related
    I was browsing Google maps there the weekend and they've updated their maps from during the dry spell
    Lots of oddities showing up from the location of old ditches/boundaries to circular formations similar to above.

Advertisement