Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsie hill climb challenge 2018 - Howth TT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

A long ride in different direction planned on Sunday....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I've 357 km done this year.
    Can't seem to shake off these flu like symptoms so no chance of me making it.
    Maybe next month ill give it a try.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Probably be more like 1pm before I can tackle it.

I've 357 km done this year.

It's just another 2.5 km, c'mon, don't make it such a big deal and give a few good folks satisfaction of beating a top climber :D :P

Alek wrote: »
    It's just another 2.5 km, c'mon, don't make it such a big deal and give a few good folks satisfaction of beating a top climber :D :P

Its the 20 km from my house to Howth that i wouldn't be able for.
    7.58 up there is my best time(with a backpack on) so i'm sure it could be beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sunday is probably not a good day for me. plus, i've barely put the miles in in the last few weeks or months.
    if anyone can think of any more excuses i can use, please suggest them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Its the 20 km from my house to Howth that i wouldn't be able for.
    7.58 up there is my best time(with a backpack on) so i'm sure it could be beaten.

My best is 10.01. The symmetry is the best thing about it. A few months ago, I'd have certainly gone up it faster, now, I have rediscovered a fondness of cake and biscuits I'd managed to park for much of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

sunday is probably not a good day for me. plus, i've barely put the miles in in the last few weeks or months.
    if anyone can think of any more excuses i can use, please suggest them.

Didn’t Shep the collie eat your Garmin ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's worth remembering, folks, that weight is key for hillclimbing.

wear a heavy backpack - the more you weigh, the greater your momentum and kinetic energy, and the more that will help carry you up the hill.

Weepsie wrote: »
    My best is 10.01. The symmetry is the best thing about it. A few months ago, I'd have certainly gone up it faster, now, I have rediscovered a fondness of cake and biscuits I'd managed to park for much of last year.

I've put on 4kg since the New Year. After finishing last year really well, a short break off the bike for a rest has turned into a bloody nightmare. Hoping to have a good rest over the weekend and for it also to be alcohol free so i might try Tuesday.

• Advertisement

it's worth remembering, folks, that weight is key for hillclimbing.

wear a heavy backpack - the more you weigh, the greater your momentum and kinetic energy, and the more that will help carry you up the hill.

I think I'm back to the weight I was around this time last year. I had been down to just under 73 kg for the first time in probably 15 years. It was all for this weekend, and then I got really lazy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I've only been up 3 times with wildly varying times of 8:07, 9:55 and 11:26...I reckon I'll be closer to 10 minutes than 8 on Sunday

My best of 8:04 was wind assisted, it seems :)

https://mywindsock.com/activity/311511953/

Alek wrote: »
    My best of 8:04 was wind assisted, it seems :)

https://mywindsock.com/activity/311511953/

Just checked - mine too: https://mywindsock.com/activity/330191761#32205631369/

(I was being chased up the hill by Alek too,good motivation)

(I was being chased up the hill by Alek too,good motivation)

It wasn't a chase, you've just left me there ...

[quote="colm18

(I was being chased up the hill by Alek [/quote]

Was there an inyourendo in what I said?

For those attempting it ; remember it must be from a standing start ;-)

colm18 wrote: »

Does the segment start after the lights? They can mess up a time rather easily if not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Sunday would suit me best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭secman

Fcuk that so , I'm out ... I wanted to get a run at it from Wexford :)

Weepsie wrote: »
    Does the segment start after the lights? They can mess up a time rather easily if not

https://www.strava.com/segments/7312602?filter=overall&gender=all

Segment starts just before the cemetery...is there lights there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

That would be tough as he segment starts when your already climbing. I think there used to be a longer segment but someone reported it as hazardous because of the school.

I've finished my extensive training for this (once up KIlmashogue this morning) so I'm feeling quietly confident :-P

https://www.strava.com/segments/7312602?filter=overall&gender=all

Segment starts just before the cemetery...is there lights there?

I'm thinking of the old segment. The lights a bit further back are where I thought the climbing started.

Anyway, went up old long hill today and didn't climb off to use an inhaler like last time.

Cramped quite badly going up Windgates though, but that was after 130 km and with me ignoring my water for a bit too long.

I gave it a go today - word of advice save a bit In the tank. From the bend before the car park to the summit is a killer if you’re in the red. Also the wind changes direction

that's what i always liked about the village to the summit. starts steep and eases off.

that's what i always liked about the village to the summit. starts steep and eases off.

Yea would be perfect for it , unfortunately the two sets of traffic lights would make it difficult as some would get caught at them.

Place was jammed there today . 88 up loaded the howth TT section . 8:26 the fastest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

7:55 for me.

Advertisement