Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dermot Morgan died 20 years ago today

• 28-02-2018 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71,557 ✭✭✭✭

Wow...where does the time go? :(

Mad, Ted.

I’ll always remember listening to 2fm that Sunday afternoon (it was either Aidan Leonard or Michael Cahill dj-ing) when they broke the news - so shocking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Now I feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Are we sure he didn't just drink an entire bottle of Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I loved that show when I was a kid. I was sad when he died.. just after finishing the last show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

He left behind a great body of work and some very happy memories.

What would he have had to say in the last 20 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yep remember where I was too. In my dad's car on way back from playing malahide in a rugby match. Shocked he was such an institution at the time. At least we won the match.

I watch father Ted religiously if it's on tv, pardon the pun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Apt it snows on his anniversary..

"It's beginning to snow again. The flakes, silver and dark, are falling obliquely against the lamplight. It's probably falling all over the island; on the central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the graveyards, upon the crosses and headstones, upon all the living and the dead..."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

valoren wrote: »

"It's beginning to snow again. The flakes, silver and dark, are falling obliquely against the lamplight. It's probably falling all over the island; on the central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the graveyards, upon the crosses and headstones, upon all the living and the dead..."

I hear they've taken the roads in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Me and my brother would have a whole pack of custard creams to dip for the first half , tell mrs doyle (our ma)to make another cup of tea during the break and have a whole pack of chocolate creams for the second half.Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'd only known him for Fr Ted, but I remember seeing him on the Late Late just before his death and he was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

That very last scene of the last episode where the light goes off in the parochial house and Dougal says "Night Ted" always makes me a bit :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

"SHUT TO FECK UP"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

What !! Unbelievable. How old am I? Right time for a cup of tea and a few episodes of Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

It is difficult to believe it is twenty years.
    One day when driving to work at 7am I saw him walking in Donnybrook. He was wearing sunglasses but that was no disguise.
    My sister was related to him, and he was at a family funeral.
    When with my sister I met his mother a few times and she was lovely, very amusing and intelligent.
    He was one of the best Irishmen ever imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

elperello wrote: »
    He left behind a great body of work and some very happy memories.

What would he have had to say in the last 20 years?

Aaaaah, there's other reasons for living, ya know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

One of my favourite moments in Ted, strangely moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You'd miss him alright :( What a fantastic show, absolutely loved it and would watch it over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

FT was great then and is still great now. It's aged well unlike a lot of sitcoms.
    I was living in the UK when it first came out and remember English lads asking if people really said 'feck' instead of "the bad f word" in Ireland. 😠They thought it was made up for the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Fr. Ted use to be on on a Monday night as far as I can remember around 1996/7? The next day you'd go into school and everyone would be talking about it. We use to be in stitches reliving the jokes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

One of the great Irish comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

"SHUT TO FECK UP"

There's no need for that! :mad: You'll be hearing from my solicitors, Corless Corless and Sweeney!

• Advertisement

I hear you're a racist now Fadder

:D

Time sure does fly. I was in my mid teens when Father Ted first aired. I had a little portable television in my room and that's where I would watch it. Along with a cheese samitch God love me :) I remember there was a thing called Central Park West on after it. It was about a newspaper and all the carrying on of it's staff I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mrs Browne's Boys is funnier than Fr Ted

Not really tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Mrs Browne's Boys is funnier than Fr Ted

Not really tho

Jaysus no. No, no, no. Jaysus. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

_Dara_ wrote: »
    One of my favourite moments in Ted, strangely moving.

Very moving indeed, and an apt Joycean quotation. It's the last paragraph in 'The Dead'.

Loved Scrap Saturday, listened to it religiously!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Father Jack died on the same day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Its not been the same since they moved it to that Caribbean island and started solving unlikely crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

There's no need for that! :mad: You'll be hearing from my solicitors, Corless Corless and Sweeney!

If they're your solicitors then I'm Boy George

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

eyerer wrote: »
    I loved that show when I was a kid. I was sad when he died.. just after finishing the last show too.

Well, in fairness, it's kinda by definition that the last show was just finished before he died

If he had died in the middle of series one he'd have died just after finishing the "last show"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Well, in fairness, it's kinda by definition that the last show was just finished before he died

If he had died in the middle of series one he'd have died just after finishing the "last show"

What?

Advertisement