Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Strike is over. What happens now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Robson99

ruwithme wrote: »
    i would have thought you thats always posting figures would have realised it was a 8 cent a kg increase.

He is not on about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Panch18 wrote: »
    Christ do you actually think this is some kind of victory or something??

WOW

Yes
    Panch18 wrote: »
    This ****ing 20 cent you keep on about. How do you know who’s getting or who isn’t?

You don’t. Your just guessing

The only ones doing the bullying are those who stood on factory gates totally against the will of most beef farmers. A cohort of loud mouthed f@@kers who had nothing to loose themselves but we’re more than willing to sacrifice beef finishers. That’s a simple fact for yiu

The majority backed the protest. There was a reason why ICSA, ICMSA, andIFA all came behind it becase the MAJORITY of farmers backed it
    duffysfarm wrote: »
    well said. and as for the 20 cents extra, i got one animal away this morning to Eurofarm Duleek and took 20 cents lessa kg than any other factory was offering. the only reason that i took 20 cents less was because Duleek was the only place that would take her off me!

We are taking about the base for prime cattle heifers and steers not the odd canner cow
    well it there was a problem at the factory gate then the protests made it worse. i am telling ya, larry came up with the protest idea in the first place. who else would be that stupid to protest at that time of the year.

Delusions and conspiracy theories. I suppose there no family holiday next year For some it more mundane it a case of putting kids through college, bread on the table, or a few pints Saturday night after the local team win the County Final

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

Keep on dreaming boss, Larry still loves you
    Yes

The majority backed the protest. There was a reason why ICSA, ICMSA, andIFA all came behind it becase the MAJORITY of farmers backed it

We are taking about the base for prime cattle heifers and steers not the odd canner cow

Delusions and conspiracy theories. I suppose there no family holiday next year For some it more mundane it a case of putting kids through college, bread on the table, or a few pints Saturday night after the local team win the County Final

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: Okay lads, let's cool this down a level. Don't make it personal.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Agree, maybe it should be closed down as I don't see it going anywhere at this stage
    greysides wrote: »
    Mod: Okay lads, let's cool this down a level. Don't make it personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yes

IFA told farmers it was up to themselves and to be fair the mess was landed in on them when it went bad.
    To accuse them of backing it would be an exaggeration
    I'm sure they knew well that any deal was going to end badly and were brave to get involved, It was a no win situation,
    If brexit happens those protests will be the gift that keeps on giving for a long long time if demand from britain is curtailed in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

Agree, maybe it should be closed down as I don't see it going anywhere at this stage

The thread or farming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Good loser

BS the price of cattle in the marts is dictated by finished cattle prices that factories pay. Poor returns are because of poor factory prices. It not like processors will compete for farmers cattle in the mart

Amazing you see that connection - store prices reflecting beef prices

And not the fact that factory prices reflect market prices for beef.

There is no difference. Unless you're a conspiracy theorist!

Incidentally do you think there is a conspiracy among factories to pay 10c more for heifers than bullocks?

Good loser wrote: »
    Amazing you see that connection - store prices reflecting beef prices

And not the fact that factory prices reflect market prices for beef.

There is no difference. Unless you're a conspiracy theorist!

Incidentally do you think there is a conspiracy among factories to pay 10c more for heifers than bullocks?

The UK take over 50% of our beef. A market report in late summer showed that retail beef prices rose by 10%, the Irish factory price is running about 10-15% lower this year on the higher end if you take bull prices into account. The factory price drop would be much more if the strikes did not happen. Processors were talking about 3/kg most opinion was that they had an autumn price of lower than 3.3/kg in there sights. Under the payment system we are at 3.52 of a base for steers at the present base price of 3.45/kg

The reason processors pay 10c/kg more for heifers is I imagine that a much higher percentage fall within the UK supermarket spec which is the highest paying market. Only a small percentage of heifers go above 330kgs DW compared to the percentage of steers that go above 400kgs DW

No I am not a conspiracy theorist as yesterday
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/creed-announces-public-consultation-for-utp-directive/

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭kk.man

The UK take over 50% of our beef. A market report in late summer showed that retail beef prices rose by 10%, the Irish factory price is running about 10-15% lower this year on the higher end if you take bull prices into account. The factory price drop would be much more if the strikes did not happen. Processors were talking about 3/kg most opinion was that they had an autumn price of lower than 3.3/kg in there sights. Under the payment system we are at 3.52 of a base for steers at the present base price of 3.45/kg

The reason processors pay 10c/kg more for heifers is I imagine that a much higher percentage fall within the UK supermarket spec which is the highest paying market. Only a small percentage of heifers go above 330kgs DW compared to the percentage of steers that go above 400kgs DW

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/creed-announces-public-consultation-for-utp-directive/

I was talking to a guy who finishes alot of cattle during the week. He was furious with the grades he is getting for his finished stock since the new grading system is in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

kk.man wrote: »
    I was talking to a guy who finishes alot of cattle during the week. He was furious with the grades he is getting for his finished stock since the new grading system is in place.

Ill have to take his word on it.. I cant get anything killed to find out...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Don’t forget the IFJ events earlier in the year were warning of €2.50/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Without the protests, beef price would be significantly less.

I feel for the lad who has the full shed waiting but the pain of 3 a kg would be brutal as well.

Add in on top of that, it would finish lads bringing cattle to the Mart for short or longer term beef finishers. I buy most all my animals circa 400kg, 50 kg either way for differing reasons.

Unless larger operators will rear calves. Cabt aee that happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

2 600kg bullocks made €1350 yesterday in ballinakill.
    Bps is out.

only the mods can close down this thread. the strikes are doing their best to close down the farming
    The thread or farming?

gerryirl wrote: »
    Ill have to take his word on it.. I cant get anything killed to find out...:D

My last load gone today thank God. They went to ABP Cahir never sent them there before. Between 3 factories I eventually got 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

My last load gone today thank God. They went to ABP Cahir never sent them there before. Between 3 factories I eventually got 1!

good on you.. they wont take them up my way unless you were killing with them already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Lucky you locals waiting weeks to get cattle into Cahir

only the mods can close down this thread. the strikes are doing their best to close down the farming

You seem to be very interested in getting this thread closed down.

By the way the strikes are for the beef farming to survive. At 3/kg we all be closed down.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I find 'unfollow' usually solves the problem if I'm unhappy with a discussion thread. No reason to stop others continuing the conversation.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    I find 'unfollow' usually solves the problem if I'm unhappy with a discussion thread. No reason to stop others continuing the conversation.

Unless you have an agenda

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Unless you have an agenda

Fifth columnists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

So will you be restocking again?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yeah, beef farming was lifting up to the day the strike started.

So will you be restocking again?
    I will. I have some stores and plenty of fodder so no hurry.

Fifth columnists ?

Na I say more agent provocateur's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is the tradtorcade to block Dublin the natural progression from the strike ?

I feel if anything is being done a more surgical style of protest would be better rather than inconveniencing the average worker who we need on our side.

_Brian wrote: »
    Is the tradtorcade to block Dublin the natural progression from the strike ?

I feel if anything is being done a more surgical style of protest would be better rather than inconveniencing the average worker who we need on our side.

It used to once be the part of all IFA presidents itinerary. At some stage during there tenure they have a tractorcade to Dublin. I think Dillion was the last one.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A protest at the factories was arranged for them this time, they contracted out for the service, Cullinan turned up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

It used to once be the part of all IFA presidents itinerary. At some stage during there tenure they have a tractorcade to Dublin. I think Dillion was the last one.

Any IFA protest is designed and timed not to effect the general public. They are your customers...You don't s### on your own doorstep...

Advertisement