Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonoff emersion wiring

• 04-04-2020 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi I have a sonoff th16 with temp sensor my emersion has E,N,L(Black),L(Brown)

I have the wiring in and out in th16 and I'm using connector from the wires out to connect the emersion wires. theres only one live connector wondering should I intertwine the black and brown or only bridge the brown to brown on the connector?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hi I have a sonoff th16 with temp sensor my emersion has E,N,L(Black),L(Brown)

I have the wiring in and out in th16 and I'm using connector from the wires out to connect the emersion wires. theres only one live connector wondering should I intertwine the black and brown or only bridge the brown to brown on the connector?

Thanks

I would have kept the immersion switch in the setup.

So supply switched off, and L and N supply into TH16.
    Out of it into immersion switch.

That way you just leave the immersion switch on, and at bath or sink. Sonoff then switches on and off what you have selected.

If you do go with just the sonoff, you leave out the sink wire, just have the bath one on it. You certainly do not want both on at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Bruthal is spot on here.
    Easiest way to do it is wire the Sonoff in before the immersion.

Leave switch in place set to on/bath and Sonoff to handle actual on/off.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

Ah right so if I had of put them together it would blow the immersion?

Thank you!!

Ah right so if I had of put them together it would blow the immersion?

Thank you!!
    No wouldnt blow the immersion itself.

Bath takes 13 amps, sink 9, both together 22 amps. Its a 20 amp circuit.

Also risk overheating the top of the immersion unit. Both on together is not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 onetime12

Bruthal wrote: »
    No wouldnt blow the immersion itself.

Bath takes 13 amps, sink 9, both together 22 amps. Its a 20 amp circuit.

Also risk overheating the top of the immersion unit. Both on together is not good.

I did this a month or so ago.....

so the immersion is no longer heating up the water.

lucky our heating does this.

would i need to fully replace the immersion or the board?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

onetime12 wrote: »
    I did this a month or so ago.....

so the immersion is no longer heating up the water.

lucky our heating does this.

would i need to fully replace the immersion or the board?

Could be the heater or the sonoff ,did u replace the immersion switch

The immersion switch does functional switching ( control)l+ local isolation, so shouldn't be replaced

Lwaker. wrote: »
    Could be the heater or the sonoff ,did u replace the immersion switch

The immersion switch does functional switching ( control)l+ local isolation, so shouldn't be replaced

The immersion switch is gone iv ordered an exact one shud be here soon i was wondering usually the black wire is sink and brown is bath am i right in saying that??

onetime12 wrote: »
    The immersion switch is gone iv ordered an exact one shud be here soon i was wondering usually the black wire is sink and brown is bath am i right in saying that??

Usually

You have to test if it's not labelled or you're fitting the heater and can see the sink bath

There's been s few variations on the immersion heater wiring

Yes the blue was once one of the element feeds.

That can be dodgy, as it is possible to connect an immersion incorrectly, such that the stat is bypassed when one element is selected on the bath sink switch.

Usually

You have to test if it's not labelled or you're fitting the heater and can see the sink bath

There's been s few variations on the immersion heater wiring
    Yeah i just took off the immersion cap brown is bath and i wired it up to a 13 amp plug still no movement balls 🀨

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yes the blue was once one of the element feeds.

That can be dodgy, as it is possible to connect an immersion incorrectly, such that the stat is bypassed when one element is selected on the bath sink switch.
    The blue feed is going back a bit

The brown and black were also sometimes different on newer heaters

The new controllers are more trouble than they're worth with Immersions

Yes must be back in the 80s. I remember them anyway.

The brown and black were also sometimes different on newer heaters

The new controllers are more trouble than they're worth with Immersions
    Think im just going to have to get the immersion replaced

Some immersions have an overheat cutout in them which can be reset.

Also the stat could be the problem. Quick tests can show what the problem is, by someone experienced in such matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭whizbang

I would be wary of a Sonoff on anything more than about 5A. I just dont think they are up to the job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

whizbang wrote: »
    I would be wary of a Sonoff on anything more than about 5A. I just dont think they are up to the job.

I understand your concern. Obviously you can get a Sonoff to switch a contactor, that way the current flowing through the Sonoff can be reduced to <0.5 amps when switching a 3 kW immersion.

Advertisement