Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Pulling for treating Gum/Dental Disease

• 25-03-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Cróga

Oil pulling or oil swishing is a traditional Indian folk remedy that involves swishing oil (sunflower, sesame, olive oil etc) in the mouth for claimed oral and systemic health benefits
    Dr. (med.) Karach said the OP heals totally “head-aches, bronchitis, tooth pain, thrombosis, eczema, ulcers and diseases of stomach, intestines, heart, blood, kidney, liver, lungs and women’s diseases. It heals diseases of nerves, paralysis, and encephalitis. It prevents the growth of malignant tumors, cuts and heals them. Chronic sleeplessness is cured.”

The method

In the morning before breakfast on an empty stomach you take one tablespoon in the mouth but do not swallow it. Move Oil Slowly in the mouth as rinsing or swishing and Dr Karach puts it as ' sip, suck and pull through the teeth' for fifteen to twenty minutes. This process makes oil thoroughly mixed with saliva. Swishing activates the enzymes and the enzymes draw toxins out of the blood. The oil must not be swallowed, for it has become toxic. As the process continues, the oil gets thinner and white. If the oil is still yellow, it has not been pulled long enough.It is then spit from the mouth , the oral cavity must be thoroughly rinsed and mouth must be washed thoroughly. Just use normal tap water and good old fingers to clean.

Clean the sink properly, you can use some antibacterial soap to clean the sink. Because the spittle contains harmful bacteria and toxic bodily waste. If one were to see one drop of this liquid magnified 600 times under a microscope, one would see microbes in their first stage of development.

It is important to understand that during the oil-pulling/swishing process one's metabolism is intensified. This leads to improved health. One of the most striking results of this process is the fastening of loose teeth, the elimination of bleeding gums and the visible whitening of the teeth.

The oil pulling /swishing is done best before breakfast. To accelerate the healing process, it can be repeated three times a day, but always before meals on an empty stomach.

http://www.oilpulling.com/
    REPORTED CURES WITH OIL PULLING:
    Mouth & Gum Disease; Stiff Joints; Allergies; Asthma; High Blood Sugar; Constipation; Migraines; Bronchitis; Eczema; Heart, Kidney, Lung Diseases; Leukemia; Arthritis; Meningitis; Insomnia; Menopause (hormonal issues); Cancer; AIDS; Chronic Infections; Varicose Veins; High Blood Pressure; Diabetes; Polio; Cracked Heels.

http://earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

Started doing this 2 days ago to help treat my Gingivitis and its working! My gum above my front tooth where i have a crown had receded far back that it was no longer overlapping the crown and touching the underlying tooth leaving a gap and also turned dark purple. I did this oil pulling thingy 3 times on the first day. Straight away the pain went. My mouth and saliva feels a lot fresher. White coating on tongue gone. Bad breath gone. Stiff neck and jaw gone. Gum inflammation gone. Next morning the gum above my front tooth was looking pinkier and healthier and moved down touching the crown again (that may be due to cayenne pepper i put on it the night before aswell). The rest of my gum has receded about 2mm so i'll give it time before i see any improvement there but other than that my mouth seems to be a lot healthier.

Has anyone else tried this? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ King Clever Farmyard

I would suggest that if you have a gum problem associated with a crown and not generalized to all your teeth there may be something defective with the crown such as a marginal gap, endodontic problem, root fracture etc., have a dentist check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 byrnef

I first read about oil pulling about a year ago. Needless to say, I was a bit wary of a cure for so many things. But curiosity got the better of me and i decided to try it for a week. After a week, white teeth, pink gums and overall improvement in teeth and mouth. One suggestion is that when you put oil through your mouth, you will need to brush longer ti get rid of said oil. Not a bad thing. Another is that oil pulling massages gums in between teeth etc, also not a bad thing. On last visit to dentist, cleaning went much quicker than usual, no lectures about dental plaque and red gums. All in all, bottle of sunflower oil in supermarket €1-€2 euro, saves a fortune in dental cleaning and better teeth and gums.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Mary Hairy

I have been doing it every morning for about six months. There is definitely an improvement. Dentist complimented me on my gums on a visit after I had been doing it for about two months. I did not tell him I was oil pulling, so it is a genuine reaction.

Lads gum problems don't require some exotic and disgusting daily habit. We have known how to fix it for decades, Proper brushing and flossing will fix all problems buy removing bacteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'd imagine rinsing with anything for 15-20 minutes a day would help remove plaque from the teeth.

I don't know why you wouldn't just brush properly for three minutes and floss for a few minutes as is recommended. It'd save a lot more time, definitely works plus you'd get to keep the olive oil for your salad dressings as its suposed to be used.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'd imagine rinsing with anything for 15-20 minutes a day would help remove plaque from the teeth.

I don't know why you wouldn't just brush properly for three minutes and floss for a few minutes as is recommended. It'd save a lot more time, definitely works plus you'd get to keep the olive oil for your salad dressings as its suposed to be used.

It is more likely that sunflower oil or sesame oil would be used. I have never heard of anyone doing it with olive oil. I have yet to hear of anyone who oil pulled regularly having anything bad to say about it.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

It is more likely that sunflower oil or sesame oil would be used. I have never heard of anyone doing it with olive oil. I have yet to hear of anyone who oil pulled regularly having anything bad to say about it.

:rolleyes:

Because sunflower oil is somehow less manky than olive oil when rinsed for 20 minutes a day.:rolleyes:

I'd still rather just brush my teeth for 3 mins tbh, you can tell me motor oil is better for all I care.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

so new mothers can rub it on their tummy for the 20 mins they're swishing it about to get rid of stretch marks and pregnancy induced gingivitis. sounds like a good deal to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭vandammaged

i;ll def give it ago.

do you still do it ?
    byrnef wrote: »
    I first read about oil pulling about a year ago. Needless to say, I was a bit wary of a cure for so many things. But curiosity got the better of me and i decided to try it for a week. After a week, white teeth, pink gums and overall improvement in teeth and mouth. One suggestion is that when you put oil through your mouth, you will need to brush longer ti get rid of said oil. Not a bad thing. Another is that oil pulling massages gums in between teeth etc, also not a bad thing. On last visit to dentist, cleaning went much quicker than usual, no lectures about dental plaque and red gums. All in all, bottle of sunflower oil in supermarket €1-€2 euro, saves a fortune in dental cleaning and better teeth and gums.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 macmurchu

you be quiet jimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 15 byrnef

i;ll def give it ago.

do you still do it ?
    Yeah, still doing it daily. Use sunflower oil from dunnes or tesco. Can see big difference myself. Prob doesn't matter if it works directly or just makes you brush longer.

Having a mouth full of millions of foul bacteria and gone off food debris is motivation enough to brush.....leg pulling is what going on here I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Having a mouth full of millions of foul bacteria and gone off food debris is motivation enough to brush.....leg pulling is what going on here I think

What is going on is oil pulling, not leg pulling.

http://www.johcd.org/pdf/Effect_of_Oil_Pulling_on_Plaque_and_Gingivitis.pdf

So after 45 days of swilling oil around their mouths for 8-10 minutes every morning, not one of the ten (ridicuously small sample btw) subjects have a plaque score that was better than "Fair" - none could be rated as good or excellent by the authors' own criteria?

I'd like to see a similar study done where subjects were asked to spend an equal amount of time flossing, rinsing and brushing meticulously. I'd put any amount of monyey on it that the results would be better. And there'd be the added bonus of not having to put cooking oil in your mouth every day for the rest of your life forst thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

I don't know why people are so averse to just brushing their teeth for three minutes a day, twice a day. Seems far simpler to me tbh.

Couple of points on that study.
    1. Ten is too low for any significance.
    2. The base line measurements are all very high, any intervention would improve it. Obviously these peoples hygiene was terrible to start with and involved little brushing and flossing. Rinsing with anything would improve it. ( the author conceded this in the discussion)
    3. Signed rank test need more than 10 pair for Sig values, An unusual test on what should be normal data. Sound to me like the test was chosen to fit the conclusion.
    4. The variance of the results is large, at this N nothing can proved.
    5. The author use the phrase "The most wonderful part of Oil Pulling is that, it can be performed using any oil easily available at homes" this hint at a certain lack of impartiality.
    6. All subjects male, all young, not a representative sample.
    7. This is not a peer review journal.
    8. Asian journal...culturally biased.
    9. Hawthorn effect
    10. Author believed the oil pulling must be done in a bright and clam environment...why???
    11. NO CONTROL GROUP

TOSH

Dont jump on the web to find a research paper to prove your point especially one as bad as that, that paper actually works against your POV, read it and especially the end, even though the author seems to be an advocate they have to concede that it basically superstitious voodoo snake-oil rubbish.

I oil pull because it whitens my teeth and my gums are better. I also brush and floss. The reduction in plaque is a secondary issue.

How does oil whiten teeth? THis is a new one on me.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Me too.

Mary Hairy wrote: »
    I oil pull because it whitens my teeth and my gums are better. I also brush and floss. The reduction in plaque is a secondary issue.

what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

I had a pretty bad case of gingivitis/early periodontal disease where there was quite rapid recession on my top side teeth on both sides. I thought that using corsodyl and flossing and brushing every day would be enough to get rid of it. While it did slow it down, it was still painful and still slowly receding so i went to the dentist to get a proper clean. The amount of blood that came out was unreal as my gums where so tender.

I expected that to get rid of it, but it felt the same so i was getting worried and looked up any other help i could get, the first thing i done was to improve my diet with lots of vegetables, and less sugar. I took 2 500mg vitamin c's with flavanoids and a co enzyme q 10. I done this for a week and it still showed no signs of improvement. Then i looked up oil pulling i thought it was a real silly idea but it was easy enough so i thought id try it cos id try anything at this stage.

I really would recommend it, your mouth feels so clean after it, after 4 days of doing it the gums went from slightly anemic looking to real strong and a healthy light pink looking. I went to the dentist to finish the cleaning and she seemed suprised how much better they looked. There was hardly any bleeding as well. I did'nt tell her i oiled pulled cos i thought she might think i was a loon, but i'm convinced that it worked. It makes sense as well considering that bacteria is the thing that causes it and your getting rid of a silly amount of bacteria by doing it.

Id say definitely try it if you have any similar problems. Theres not much point in being sceptical about it till you give it a try cos it's so simple to do. Along with a good cleaning regime a good diet and supplements, my fecking gingivitis seems to be going please god.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I had pretty severe receding gums and I was in a right state over it; I didn't have periodontitis but the gumline had receded due to heavy brushing. My dentist said that there was nothing I could do save for spending a fortune on gum grafting, which may not work anyway.

Having tried the oil pulling route and not finding it that appealing, I looked up products online. I came across oramd, which I've been using for the past few months. It too is a natural oil, although it's a mix of different types. Incredibly, the sensitivity in my gums has gone and my gumline is returning to the way it should be.

I was sceptical of buying this product, it seemed too good to be true, given that my dentist said that my gumline wouldn't grow back, but it's been a God-sent!!

How does oil whiten teeth? THis is a new one on me.

I have not been able to find an explanation for the whitening effect. One theory is that it arises as aconsequence of the plaque reduction. More convincing is the theory that the oil emulsifies when mixed with the saliva.
    What I can say is that it works! My teeth are noticeably whiter than they used to be since I started oil pulling. My gums are healthier as well. In some parts of my mouth receding gums have halted and reversed.

My teeth look whiter when I clean them also but I use a brush and toothpaste, how does the oil per-say whiten the teeth, of course oil emulsifies with water or saliva (mostly water) why not rinse with mayonnaise?

This is a scientific forum.....the standards of debate posters are held to are higher than anecdotal evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Cróga wrote: »
    striking results of this process is the fastening of loose teeth
    say what?!?...you had me up to that.

Mary Hairy wrote: »
    I have not been able to find an explanation for the whitening effect. One theory is that it arises as aconsequence of the plaque reduction. More convincing is the theory that the oil emulsifies when mixed with the saliva.
    What I can say is that it works! My teeth are noticeably whiter than they used to be since I started oil pulling. My gums are healthier as well. In some parts of my mouth receding gums have halted and reversed.

receding gums aren't a sign of gum disease. watching for it is the easiest way to check if patients are cleaning properly. how does emulsified oil cause teeth to get whiter? actually, i don't want to know. if it works and keeps you happy, then fire ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Susie564

Sounds all a bit mental to me! I think I'll stick to a nice cup of coffee first thing in the morning (brushing & flossing afterwards obviously :D).
    Don't think I could stomach the oil - yuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

on day 2 will report back in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

orangebud wrote: »
    on day 2 will report back in a few weeks

I'll be in my clinic on the edge of my seat:D:D;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

gonna try this for 5 days then ill report back what i think of it

Advertisement