Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Download Red Alert for free TODAY ONLY 31/8/08

• 31-08-2008 2:01pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Today, August 31st, 2008 marks the 13th anniversary of the storied Command & Conquer franchise, which has sold over 25 million copies to date. And to celebrate this milestone and this October's highly anticipated return to the world of Red Alert with Red Alert 3, we are giving away one of the original games that started it all, Command & Conquer Red Alert, for FREE

RA3Promo28.jpg
    Click pic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Lol its gonna take me more then the rest of the day to download the two discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I'd love to but I'm really just not bothered with the long download....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Well at 1.2mb/s I may aswell seeing as it's only going to take about 10 minutes lol. Thanks for the heads up :) Was only thinking about playing this the other day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

I'm guessing this aint for macs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Its only a 1gig, so ill leave it on for a an hour or two, should be a good game, but its free :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

One of the few games I've actually played, nice one OP. Going to copy this to the C&C forum. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

RA2 is still decent, but RA1?! Now that is just painful.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Linoge wrote: »

Explain?

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MjM

Red Alert 1 is still an incredible and addictive game, I first played this in 1997 and I still play the odd skirmish, personally I think its still one of the best C&C games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Red Alert original is incomparably better then RA2, the multi-player is miles better. I'm normally not one to yammer on about nostalgia this and that but Red Alert is one of the best games ever made and its just as fun in link up/lan nowadays as it was 10 years ago. Truly timeless. Still have a pristine copy for the PSX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Even with a 1GB connection that site is pig slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Hobbes wrote: »
    Even with a 1GB connection that site is pig slow.

I thought it was just my crappy Eircom connection at home.

As good as RA is I have other stuff to do, cheers anyway OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Downloading at 11kb/s - I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

150kB/s! Thanks OP! I never tried this one. I'll save it in case I'm bored some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Nice one OP. Downloaded both in under half an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Downloading now.

Thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

nice find op

My crappy eircom is only working on 5% speed on any speed test Ive dont over the last few days so insteadt of my average 3,200Kb/s I get 200kb/s.

For downloading this Im getting 18.8KB/s and when i downloaded the axis disc it was corrupt. If my connection was fixed I would have it in under ten minutes but for some reason it aint working.

*enfuriated fan*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's all FMV and Audio, I have a copy of the full game that weights in at a hefty 50mb compressed without either (that is, it lacks music, though obviously retains unit talk and narration)...though in fairness both of those things are excellent and really contribute to the game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Kelso

I've just recently got vista and can't figure out how to run these games, any tips? I double click them but they just don't run.............

• Advertisement

It includes a trailer for RA3 and a set of RA3 wallpapers... mostly which seem to be showing off the women in the game... are they hoping that that'll sell the game, I wonder?
    Kelso wrote: »
    I've just recently got vista and can't figure out how to run these games, any tips? I double click them but they just don't run.............

Is this after you installed it? Did you try: (i) running in administrator mode and (ii) Right-clicking on the file->properties->Compatibility tab->Run in windows 95 compatibility?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Kelso wrote: »

why does vista give so much problems... :rolleyes:
    Try the compatibility mode and see if it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Kelso

Cheers lads, I now got to somewhere where it's tryna get me to burn a disc, do you have to do this?
    God I hate stupid vista :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

One of the files is an ISO file ,you might need an iso burner like nero.

Yeah you can burn it to disc or use a drive emulator like:
    http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

I have Power ISO but not sure how to install the game using this. Any advice? I dont have a burner.

EDIT: When I mount the CD on the virtual drive and open it. I follow the readme instructions that wer ein the winrar but it saysunable to load setup.max from the cd-rom insert the disk and press a button or something to that effect.

Ok maanaged to get the allies disc workinge ventually but I cant download the soviet disc still. First time it was corrupt, second attemp timed-out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

download still working today for me :)
    both discs down in 10min

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Much quicker today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Nice one op. Downloading now @ ~350kBps

Advertisement