Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eczema

• 19-08-2018 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Anyone found a cure for this horrible condition? My daughter has developed this horrible rash that has been exasperbated by the recent hot weather. She is constantly itching every part of her body. She has been to the doctor & given different creams including steriod cream but she is having to renew her script & get more of these meds in order to keep it under control. As it looks that it may be a long term issue has anybody found any otc moisturiser or alternative to keep it under control?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Hydrocortisone cream works for me.

Also I used to suffer with it really badly when I was about 6..mother used to throw me into a bath with Oilatum emmoilent in it..the smell haunts me to this day but it seemed to work

• Registered Users Posts: 21,819 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Childs Farm range of creams and moisturizers is meant to work great in relieving the itch and calming it down .
    My granddaughter has eczema , and her parents use this on her and haven't had to go back to the medicated creams in a long while .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

My neighbour swore by goats milk when his daughter suffered from it almost 30 years ago.  If you can find someone that actually owns a goat and get the fresh unprocessed milk, that is apparently the best way to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭recipesforme

MooGoo is excellent. It's all natural - based on cows' milk.

It's made in Australia but plenty of Irish pharmacies stock it.

They'll even deliver if there's nowhere near you to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MooMoo100

Both my son's suffered from eczema when younger it's such a hard thing to cope with. To relieve itching I found a like warm bath with a few teaspoons of bread soda in it was very good, seaweed powder in the bath is another alternative which helped ease the itching. We found "silver soothe" pyjamas online which really helped with the night time scratching which was awful. Both grew out of it and have great skin now so hopefully it won't be as long term as you think. All the best x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks ladies - most helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hungergamer

I suffer from awful eczema, had it really bad as a child, things improved and about 2 years ago it came back. I find when I ease off on dairy products it really improves. Moo goo products are also fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Eczema is awful and I had it terribly until my mid twenties. I had atopic which is generally heritary and can be linked to asthma.

Anyway, my fiancé’s niece had been suffering quite badly and I recommended Udo’s Oil and a good probiotic. She’s been flying it since. (She still takes them)
    I was on steroid creams for a long time and while it can allievate the symptoms in my opinion it’s better to try more natural remedies as for me the steroid creams have left me with slight skin damage.
    Also good is Aveeno creams, I found some creams greasy which in heat made me want to scratch more. They also do an oat bath product which helped. Try to ensure she is kept cool and that her skin can breathe especially at night. Have also heard good things about Child’s farm products but don’t have any first hand knowledge of them.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭bemak

I've been a long time sufferer and have found a lot of joy recently with vitamin E tablets. Got them in Holland and Barrett. Amazed at the difference after only 2 weeks. I would usually be dying this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 43 restartagain

That sounds really good Bemak. Which ones did you get as there seems to be a couple of different ones?

• Advertisement

That sounds really good Bemak. Which ones did you get as there seems to be a couple of different ones?

These are them

Pic won't upload on the mobile. They're e-400 i.u. mixed tocopherols

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

A warm bath with porridge oats, massage the oats into the skin. it wont cure it but it should relieve it, its excellent for dry, itchy, flaky skin.

Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys

Let me know how you get on with those vitamin E tablets if you go for them

Will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,842 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bemak wrote: »
    I've been a long time sufferer and have found a lot of joy recently with vitamin E tablets. Got them in Holland and Barrett. Amazed at the difference after only 2 weeks. I would usually be dying this time of year

Zinc and Magnesium supposedly help too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Another vote for moo goo.

Noticeable improvement within a week. It has an unusual smell which takes a while to get used to but results are brilliant.

https://moogoo.ie/skin-problems.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Epaderm. Our two year old suffered with it for a number of months and we tried everything. A friend of mine recommened it to me as she and her two kids suffered from it too. Since we started using it he hasnt had an outbreak which is around 18 months. Its available over the counter. We use it on him when he has a bath so ever two to three days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

Does anyone have it on their face?
    I've had such a bad breakout this week and nothing is working 😫
    I've tried Moo Goo, sudocream, CeraVave, much more but I can't think of the names right off.
    It's so painful and itchy!
    I usually just get it in my t-zone but this time it's all around my hairline, middle forehead and chin too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roots2branches

Eczema is usually caused by two things. 1, something external that is irritating the skin or 2, something internal.
    Creams and ointments do nothing to fix the cause, they can only help ease it.

Internal Eczema is usually diet-related. I speak as someone who has suffered from chronic eczema as a child and had uncontrollable outbreaks through my adult life. I have tried all the usual routes that modern medicine and so-called experts in our health system proscribe and in my experience doctors, from GP to Dermatologists at consultant level, are clueless.
    Research gut health and educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

My brother had it for years he was a child though. The Dr (probably the most common sense practical family GP i have ever known) said he would most likely grow out of it as he got older and just wait. He did.
    He did try and avoid lots of diff foods etc. But to be honest the only thing that cured it was growing up.

For adults who still have it i am not sure.

Its an auto immune response. Drs always thought that ..but they proved it i think in the last few years.

The diet my brother went on excluded diary, sugar , wheat and citrus fruits. Not sure if it really worked though.

Some people think the immune system is triggered by something. Some people think the autoimmune system is not triggered by anything but its just overactive and attacks the body's own tissues.

Stress is a factor though. I would guess we are all stressed right now.

My mom never let my brother get a steriod injection etc she was worried about his immune system. It was gone though before he reached his teens.

Some people really think the diet etc works. I dunno though.

Advertisement