Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I cancelled the HD yesterday €17 is too much, no offer made to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

I cancelled early January and have not had a call either. Happy enough without them- they will have to offer me something really good to go back to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

I cancelled sky TV on Monday, because offers made were not great and only valid for 9 months.

Rang back today, got 35% off for 12 months, so Variety €25.35 and hd €10 for 12 months. €35.35 total for TV pack.

Not sure if relevant, I also have sky broadband but offer is valid on that till September, €35 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

I left Sky about this time last year. I got an email yesterday offering 6 months free Sky + features with no strings attached. No contract and no charge what's so ever. That includes recording FTA channels and watching on demand from RTE player, channel 4 etc. Not as good with Irish a/c but it's free.
    I checked my account and they are also offering any package (excluding premium) at 50% off for 12 months.

6 months ago I might have jumped at this but since then I have discovered Netflix, and Saorview / FTA satellite combi boxes with crossepg. Kids, wife and myself are more than happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi @bromley52- you say Saorview / FTA satellite combi boxes
    Can you tell what combo box you use please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi @bromley52- you say Saorview / FTA satellite combi boxes
    Can you tell what combo box you use please?

http://www.freetv.ie/triple-tuner/

not as fast as I'd like but I managed to pick one up 2nd hand at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

bromley52 wrote: »
    I left Sky about this time last year. I got an email yesterday offering 6 months free Sky + features with no strings attached. No contract and no charge what's so ever. That includes recording FTA channels and watching on demand from RTE player, channel 4 etc. Not as good with Irish a/c but it's free.
    I checked my account and they are also offering any package (excluding premium) at 50% off for 12 months.

6 months ago I might have jumped at this but since then I have discovered Netflix, and Saorview / FTA satellite combi boxes with crossepg. Kids, wife and myself are more than happy.
    My daughter got the same offer BUT.... if you look, the email is sent from Sky UK and people here in ROI wont be able to access the ITV and Channel 5's etc as they arent on the Irish EPG. Neither will anyone be able to record/pause these channels and they wont have access to the BBC & ITV players despite whats written in the email. That offer was designed for ex UK customers.

Another feckin gimmick from Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone cancel lately I'm due to cancel in the next two weeks wondering if they are offering anything decent to stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Anyone cancel lately I'm due to cancel in the next two weeks wondering if they are offering anything decent to stay on.

I cancelled recently, didn't get any great offer in the days/weeks before cancellation- maybe 40% off for 9 months. I did get a call about 2 weeks after the cancellation date, told him I was busy and that was that.

I bought a Humax hdr-1100s freesat box and am v happy with it. wouldn't go back to Sky now.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

I cancelled recently, didn't get any great offer in the days/weeks before cancellation- maybe 40% off for 9 months. I did get a call about 2 weeks after the cancellation date, told him I was busy and that was that.

I bought a Humax hdr-1100s freesat box and am v happy with it. wouldn't go back to Sky now.

Cheers,
    Pa.

What is that box? pm me details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

cena wrote: »
    What is that box? pm me details
    Here ya go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Any way of using the iPlayer and other apps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Rang to cancel my Sky as it had gone up to 97 for the variety pk, HD and BB.

Ended up staying cause they dropped the price down to 67 for the year so stuck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Lead wrote: »
    Rang to cancel my Sky as it had gone up to 97 for the variety pk, HD and BB.

Ended up staying cause they dropped the price down to 67 for the year so stuck with them.

Im paying €83 for variety, sports, BB and multiscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

they are starting to come under pressure buisness wise i think, like giving a tv to join and stay with them for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

For anyone cancelling beware. I just got off the phone with sky, when you sign back up there is no cooling off period. I got dissconected two weeks ago and tried to get the offer that they had offered me before it was cancelled.
    I had a child crying and I stupidly agreed to to sign back to a much higher price.

I rang back straight away after I hung up and said I made a mistake that i want to stay cancelled and was told no I can't there is no cooling off period what so ever.
    I was told on the phone it was a brand new contract and that was why I couldn't get my original deal. I disputed it about having no cooling off period and none of it was explianed to me and i got no where.
    So once you sign back up there's no turning back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What's the best phone number to ring for these deals...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

So went back to Sky after 3 years away.

€39 pm for 12 months

All channels Variety pack with HD pack apart from Movies and Sports.

Sky Q 1TB with box sets

This offer was instead of taking the 32 TV (I don't need)

If I went for the same package with the TV it would have cost me €48.50 pm

Not a bad a deal if you ask me!!

Thanks
    Robert

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

BobbyT28 wrote:
    If I went for the same package with the TV it would have cost me €48.50 pm

That won't include HD so if you were to add HD and Sports price doubles very quickly

That won't include HD so if you were to add HD and Sports price doubles very quickly

That price of 48.50 was for the TV including Variety Pack with HD and NO Sports

Antway I didn't go for it in the end I went with the 39.50 which was a good offer in my eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

i don't see the value with bothering with any weedkiller, or diesel. leylandii don't grow back from stumps so you needlessly used a poisonous carcinogen in the garden. which probably slowed down the rotting process.

I spent an hour on the phone haggling with a Sky rep and I was offered same price rock bottom but no HD included. I did get HD included for €42 or €44pm providing I kept old Sky HD system. If I upgraded to Q the monthly cost was more for a HD charge

I spent an hour on the phone haggling with a Sky rep and I was offered same price rock bottom but no HD included. I did get HD included for €42 or €44pm providing I kept old Sky HD system. If I upgraded to Q the monthly cost was more for a HD charge

The chap I was speaking too was saying that this was a alternative to thge TV offer. So instead of getting the TV I basically got the HD for free for the year with SKY Q.

Ah, I know why I got this, I set this up in my wifes name so we got the new customer deal, maybe that's the reason??!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I am not long home from work so i ring them,on hold 20 minute only to be told this department now closed.Pain in the a&™©®$!!!

Hi,

Just incase anyone is going to get Sky Q in, they replace the LNB with the new Wideband LNB which works with Sky Q, but it doesn't work with FTA boxes or other sat boxes. You have to ask for the engineer to bring a hybrid LNB instead which works with everything (FTA and Sat boxes).

Save you having to change this at a later date.

Hope this is helpful to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    The chap I was speaking too was saying that this was a alternative to thge TV offer. So instead of getting the TV I basically got the HD for free for the year with SKY Q.

Ah, I know why I got this, I set this up in my wifes name so we got the new customer deal, maybe that's the reason??!

Any cost for the sky Q eupiment on this or was that all included?

Any cost for the sky Q eupiment on this or was that all included?

€20 to get it installed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers,
    Pa.

Same as that.. I've been humming and hawwing about it for a while but got a good price on a brand new one the other day and set it up last night. I was amazed at how small it is - half the size of the Sky HD box

Functionality is pretty much the same and after half an hour with it I was very comfortable already.

Cancelled Sky this morning. Just not worth it for the little I'd watch live these days. If anything I might watch a little more now with all the ITVs and BBCs on the EPG and recordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Same as that.. I've been humming and hawwing about it for a while but got a good price on a brand new one the other day and set it up last night. I was amazed at how small it is - half the size of the Sky HD box

Functionality is pretty much the same and after half an hour with it I was very comfortable already.

Cancelled Sky this morning. Just not worth it for the little I'd watch live these days. If anything I might watch a little more now with all the ITVs and BBCs on the EPG and recordable.

Can you record two programs at once

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kala85 wrote: »
    Can you record two programs at once

Yep

• Advertisement

Some advice please.
    I found out earlier that my parents have been paying at least €95 for basic sky tv, basic phone and about 1.5mb broadband.
    Being elderly and set in their ways they are used to the sky tv set-up and are very reluctant to change.
    My father thinks that he's getting the best price as he's been a loyal customer for the past 15 years. I explained to him that loyalty accounts for little nowadays.

Eir called into them during the week offering fibre to the home as the area is going live very shortly. Following bad experiences with Eir my father has vowed never to give them business and wants to stay with sky.

My questions,
    Can he avail of fibre to the home through Sky?

What sort of price should he be looking to negotiate for tv BB and phone together?

Any help much appreciated.

Advertisement