Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

FindMyPast is free until Monday. https://www.findmypast.ie/family-story/

Lost Cousins is reporting a change happening on FMP this month so that we will no longer be able to access previously viewed records. I can still access mine so I'll be using this weekend to check that I've saved any that I need. https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/sep18news.htm#MyRecords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Was at this show this morning.

20% off new Ancestry subscriptions.
    25% off renewing Ancestry subscriptions.
    Ancestry DNA kits are €59.

ps - not a great show to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yep, heard on the grapevine that its not a good show.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I might be in Dublin for something else this weekend and was thinking of dropping in while I'm there.
    Is it worth an hours visit?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    I might be in Dublin for something else this weekend and was thinking of dropping in while I'm there.
    Is it worth an hours visit?

I certainly don't think so, if you were at either last years or 2016 you've seen it. FMP aren't there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well, it's free in, so it's worth an hour of your time.

I'll be there all weekend with the IGRS. Attended 2 vg DNA lectures today - these will all be on Youtube at some point though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I was there for a couple of hours today. It is worth visiting. As Pinky said the lectures were good. Lots of stands with professional genealogists / bodies and although FMP was missing Ancestry was there in strength with lots of terminals & staff. So were the NAI & PRONI, Glasnevin, etc. Heavy emphasis on DNA. Free entry….. Certainly worth a couple of hours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Free entry…

Do I need to download and print a free ticket to get free access?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I believe so - from their website. I've an exhibitor badge so didn't pay attention to the punter entry.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

I registered with name, email and phone details, and got an email immediately in return (as below) with no mention of needing to print anything for entry. Presumably if you give any of the above at the door, they can check the registration records and let you in.

Thanks for booking the event:

Back To Our Past Dublin
    October 20, 2018 - 11:00 am
    Quantity: 1
    RDS (RDS)

Thanks for registering to attend this event. There is no admission fee, so you can just come along. A list of exhibitors and talks taking place is on the website.
    Hope you enjoy the day.

Kind Regards.

• Advertisement

Hermy wrote: »
    Do I need to download and print a free ticket to get free access?

Doors were wide open, we just walked in. Had pre registered and had email on my phone, but not needed.,

Ancestry - 20% off "gift" subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

BowWow wrote: »
    Ancestry - 20% off "gift" subscriptions.

I presume I could "Gift" this to myself? Or does the receiver account have to be different to the issuing account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Also there's a "buy 2, get 1 free" offer on Ancestry DNA kits. You need to use the US site and a US address. But if prepared to do that, it's a nice deal.

The kits are $59 each plus shipping ($9.95 for first kit, $4.95 each for additional kits). The total for three kits will be $137.85 which works out at $46.95 per kit including shipping.

https://www.ancestry.com/order/express/O-25831?rtype=85&fbclid=IwAR1DAxvS7fg_BF27aUktzpqJ5ROZ-EnyMOLCqHymZppHb0S1z1xHogG9OnI#/expresscart/

FindMyPast: 50% discounts on selection of subs

With FindMyPast's free access weekend now over, the company has a round of half price discount offers available from each of the its 'territories'.

To take advantage of these discounts, click on your preferred offer below and purchase your subscription before 11:59pm (GMT) on Monday 19 November.

FindMyPast UK
    50% off a three-month Starter, Plus or Pro subscription

FindMyPast Ireland
    50% off a one-month Ireland or World subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Diaell

Ancestry.co.uk For Cyber Week have reduced the DNA kits to €55. Don't think I've ever seen it as low.
    *Offer ends 26 Nov. Price excludes shipping costs. Terms apply.
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/ireland-dna

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

My Heritage has reduced price of their kits to 49€ & free shipping if you order 2+ kits!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

DamoRed wrote: »
    If he's willing to take it, you should take that opportunity. It's always best to test the oldest person or generation possible. You'd be kicking yourself in a couple of years if you didn't test him and then he dies. Get him tested and then you can test yourself at a later date, as they regularly have special offers for holidays.

Well I'm definitely going to try and get him to do an autosomal DNA test ,but y DNA doesn't really change that much in two generations does it? Especially if I'm getting a more accurate y111 test no?
    I'm afraid I'll scare him with all these tests as he had a bit of a health scare recently even though I've been talking about family history with him for nearly a year now.

I understand that FTDNA can use the same test kit in order to test for both ATDNA & YDNA (even if you were not going to buy both tests at same time). Somebody else may confirm.

• Advertisement

Oops! Already confirmed on other thread.

Please keep this thread for offers only.

To wit:

€43 delivered. The cheapest I've ever seen a DNA test (autosomal)!

https://www.familytreedna.com/products/family-finder

Genealogy Forum Mod

Also a good one from Irish News Archive

https://www.irishnewsarchive.com/subscribe

40% off annual sub with code BF40 to bring it to €89
    30% off monthly sub with code BF30 to bring it to €20.30

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Diaell wrote: »
    Ancestry.co.uk For Cyber Week have reduced the DNA kits to €55. Don't think I've ever seen it as low.
    *Offer ends 26 Nov. Price excludes shipping costs. Terms apply.
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/ireland-dna

Ends up being €64. 23andme doing anything?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Family Tree DNA have Black Friday deals on their 'Family Finder' (autosomal) for 39 dollars.

Grrr... feck them, they were 49 last week which I thought was a good price and bought two, but anyway....

I posted that one a bit further up - it comes out at €43 all in. I bought just to have in stock!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

https://livingdna.com/?ref=cj&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=CJ_Future%20Publishing%20Ltd&PID=6361382&CJEVENT=a67e1d6bf16511e8813f05690a18050b

LivingDNA have a 3 for 1 offer for €79 plus postage. The 3 for one refers to a normal dna test the maternal line and the paternal line.

For someone who normally uses ancestry are you best doing an ancestry test since you cant import one or do most export their ancestry results anyhow to elsewhere?

That's a really good offer from Living DNA but their database is still tiny & they're still not providing matches. I gave them my DNA at BTOP 2017. Logged in recently and it said "matches coming in 2019".

Most serious DNA testers do ancestry and then export results to other databases. Note My Heritage will be charging for uploads from other sites from 1st December onwards.

ETA: I just logged in again Living DNA and there's absolutely nothing in there. Admittedly, I gave them my DNA for free, but no matches, no data. What's the point in testing with them?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Before I pay for it, why does it ask on FTDNA to select the tester's gender for the Family Finder kit? If it's autosomal it shouldn't matter, should it? Or am I missing something? My intention is to test my mother's cousin, but if he isn't keen on it, then I will ask his daughter.

• Advertisement

You can change it later - I think it's just for stats.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement