Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lego Club (When you were a kid)

• 30-06-2006 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Did anyone ever join the lego club when they were younger? I remember being really impressed by it as a kid because they sent you out an impressive birthday and christmas card every year, as well as a letter from the owner of the company, along with a magazine and various stickers and patches. There was more too, but it's been so long I can't remember.
    It was free too, and I remember they kept sending me stuff for years and years, but then they stopped, probably 'cause I had never replied to anything or actually bought anything.

But I remember being dead impressed with it all.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

My brother and I were members, there was a badge that I wore on my school uniform for ages. We're talking 20 years ago now though, I cannae remember all of it, but like yourself, I was amazed by the coolness of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yep, I was a fully signed up member of the Lego Club. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

moi aussi!

One of the biggest indulgences of my young life. Took me weeks to save me pocket money and then my parents paid half. It was all worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Still have the badge somewhere was a great idea though

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Me too, loved it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 TechnoRich

Hello, I'm new here, but this thread caught my eye.

I was a member of the Lego club too. I treasured my little square badge and enjoyed reading the news letters etc. And the stickers - what is it about stickers when you're a kid?

My room was a Lego temple ! Town, Trains, Castle, Space - It was all good. I'm glad kids today can still enjoy it.

Bye for now, Rich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Me too loved it! i was in a fancy paper / sticker collecting phase in he 80's (primary school) so i was well pleased!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Yep, sure was. Was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I was for a couple of years too, I used to look forward to receiving letters and stuff from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I was in it for years and years - had all the badges and two of the jumpers and everything.

Was still a member when i went to Legoland Windsor for my birthday and got a present frm them and everything - those were good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Loved it. Ultimate dream was to get to Lego land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

you used to be able to buy the new products before they came to the shops, my friend was a member, my miserable arsed parents wouldnt let me join!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

i was a member of the lego technic club when i was younger:D I got magazines, i still have the membership card in my wallet and i still have the t-shirt:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 davemc06

I sure was. Yet no cards ever arrived! :D
    Oh lego! I still have absolutely loads of it left in my attic.
    Nearly every toy I got as a child was lego! Loved the stuff. Collected the stuff for years and years! :)

• I was never in the club(parents wouldnt let me, dont know why!), recently went through a nostalgic phase and got the new technic tow truck. Took me ages to put together-brilliant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

i was in it to.

the best bit was where they showed you how to make a completly random thing, like the elastic catapult:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Was buying extra cables for my NXT last week from the lego shop website, and there was a tick box asking if I wanted to sign up for the lego club magazines. Never got to be in it when I was a kid, but now I am! i don't think its as good as it used to be. I would give anything for a Lego patch to stick on my jacket. And the magazines will probably be all lego, and not technic which is what i play with, but I will tell you what its like when I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

hi, just seen ur thread, used to love lego, especially technic during the early 90's, was in hamleys in london last week, big lego section with live size models, deon't ever remember the club though, wouldn't have minded being part of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Annatar

yeah I joined waaayyy back....
    ...counting....

dear God am I THAT old already!!!!

Still have the magazines stuck in a draw somewhere. Who said nostalgia was a thing of the past?!!

Yeah I remeber saving up pocket money to buy lego parts... huge big wheels, lights in blocks etc...

Technic came later... somehow making things too easy.

Advertisement