Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Soundproofing levels in New Builds

• 18-10-2020 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm after putting down a deposit on a new build in Munster. It's an A2 rated two bed townhouse, so a terrace. Love the plans and the show house but I have always lived in detached houses, slightly nervous about the terraced aspect of it. As such I have a load of questions:

1) Is there minimum sound proofing standards new builds have to meet?

2) Is there any BER like rating for soundproofing?

3)How much are you likely to hear?

4) Is there an option to pay the builder extra for better soundproofing?

5) Is better soundproofing even possible pre or post build?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Shoden wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm after putting down a deposit on a new build in Munster. It's an A2 rated two bed townhouse, so a terrace. Love the plans and the show house but I have always lived in detached houses, slightly nervous about the terraced aspect of it. As such I have a load of questions:

Thanks in advance.

My semiD (new build) that I’m getting soon has mineral wool insulation. For what I’ve read it’s quite ok for soundproofing. I suppose most new builds will be similar

1- don’t know
    2-don’t think so
    5- I suppose you can

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes. Technical Guidance Document Part E (Sound) ensures that sound transmission from one dwelling to another is contained to the regulation requirements.

2. No. It’s a pass or fail system.

3. Loud music, parties, doors slamming. All noises that move through the structure and flank noises. You can’t control certain noises and airbourne sounds.

4. Not in my experience.

5. During the build yes. There are superior systems but they must be done on both sides of the party walls. So that means your house and the 2 neighbors houses during construction.

After construction it’s extremely hard to fix. Almost impossible in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

Gumbo wrote: »
    1. Yes. Technical Guidance Document Part E (Sound) ensures that sound transmission from one dwelling to another is contained to the regulation requirements.

2. No. It’s a pass or fail system.

3. Loud music, parties, doors slamming. All noises that move through the structure and flank noises. You can’t control certain noises and airbourne sounds.

4. Not in my experience.

5. During the build yes. There are superior systems but they must be done on both sides of the party walls. So that means your house and the 2 neighbors houses during construction.

After construction it’s extremely hard to fix. Almost impossible in my opinion.

Thank you for your reply. You seem knowledgeable in the area. I'm guessing if they have to be built to certain sound specs that it's something that isn't a nightmare to live with? I understand that that's possiblely quite a personal question.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thank you for your reply. You seem knowledgeable in the area. I'm guessing if they have to be built to certain sound specs that it's something that isn't a nightmare to live with? I understand that that's possiblely quite a personal question.

Technically they should be grand but it doesn’t remove all sound. You’ll still have some of the traditional terrace house sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Arklow10

Best to talk to a sound expert/architect/ - not the same thing.
    Do not be surprised if when someone is running up the stairs in an adjoining house you think it is your house particularly if they have very poor stair carpets or none!
    Children, pets, music etc.

Coming from a detached house to a small modern terraced house is a significant change! If it is an affordability issue, location..., no choice.
    Suggest you go to the terrace show house or another adjoining terrace house and have one person in it and you in the other - stairs, talking, shouting and judge for yourself.

There are very significant living experiences between living in a terrace house and a detached house.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If it's done right it's absolutely grand. I'm in a semi D and I can hear nothing from the neighbours, and they're a young family with toddlers running about all day.

I grew up in a detached and in my own experience, the difference is negligible, however there are plenty of horror stories on here of party walls being done incorrectly, or silly house layouts meaning the wrong rooms are on the party wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Shoden

Thanks for all the replies. Yes it is indeed a price location thing. Can't afford a detached in my area.

I suppose from what I'm reading is it's down to the workmanship of the individual property. Something that won't be known until I'm in.

Sound insulation on my sides might be an option if it is crap I suppose.

Advertisement