Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help! My landlord fooled me!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

By the look of it, I'd say the landlord has permission for only 2 apartments and has got four. That's a planning issue as well as a potential fire hazard. I'd be willing to bet the apartments are not compliant with regulations (See Priory Hall) and I would call the local fire brigade and the council to check.

If you were not registered with the RTB, then it would be safe to assume the landlord isn't completely tax compliant either.

I'd ask for the return of your deposit (in writing) and tell the landlord he has one month to comply. I know you don't care about the money, but for me it's the principle. And using his family as well as the virus is well out of order. That's not your problem. If deductions are made, then ask for a full itemised list as well as photographic evidence and receipts for any work done. Remember - he cannot deduct for cleaning.

If he complies - great! If the landlord starts squawking for whatever reason? Get busy with those reports - local council, Fire Brigade and Revenue as well as the RTB.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Is charging flat rate for gas and electricity fraud ?

Charging someone for way more than they consume is wrong. Landlord making a profit from bills ffs.

I was asking was it fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Charging someone for way more than they consume is wrong. Landlord making a profit from bills ffs.

I was asking was it fraud.

It's not fraud, back it the days we all lived in bedsits and the coin meters for the Lecky were much dearer than the bills, same with the phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Vestiapx wrote: »
    It's not fraud, back it the days we all lived in bedsits and the coin meters for the Lecky were much dearer than the bills, same with the phones.

Just some regular gouging then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I really feel for you. It's horrible to be fooled and taken advantage of - you got really unlucky. You won't be the first or the last and fair play to you for standing up to this 'person'.

Like everyone else has said, keep pushing the RTB and he won't be long coughing the money back to you to avoid even more trouble for himself. However, like you, I would also be eager to report him for illegal activity full stop. He sounds like scum and using 'corona' and his 'family' is emotional blackmail. Ignore him, he's chancing his arm.

Good luck fighting this, you're doing the right thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement