Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

220k budget in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭notsobadinc

Gael23 wrote: »

I work in Spencer Dock so am beside your location and the train line is well serviced in Leixlip.. Both properties are good options and Louisa Bridge train is like a 2 min stroll from here.

You can also expect to be in a bidding war alright as we found out recently on a couple of places we were interested in..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I work in Spencer Dock so am beside your location and the train line is well serviced in Leixlip.. Both properties are good options and Louisa Bridge train is like a 2 min stroll from here.

You can also expect to be in a bidding war alright as we found out recently on a couple of places we were interested in..

I might be able to push it to 240k at the very maximum for the perfect place so that sort of knocks out the first one

I can’t drive so being close to shops and all that is as important as distance to work. Nightlife wouldn’t bother me, you can find that if you want it.

I looked into the Local Authority mortgage scheme today and I might be able to borrow about an extra 20k though that.

We were both above the maximum on this so could not apply which was a pity as rate is substantially less although I read that you have to take out the councils MPI insurance which is fairly hefty and have also read that the process is fairly long winded so better start soon. Good luck with it in any event..

We were both above the maximum on this so could not apply which was a pity as rate is substantially less although I read that you have to take out the councils MPI insurance which is fairly hefty and have also read that the process is fairly long winded so better start soon. Good luck with it in any event..

Yes the MPI is the catch but there always some sort of catch with those things. I’m under the €50k income level though

Yes the MPI is the catch but there always some sort of catch with those things. I’m under the €50k income level though

According to this calculator you could get 4.5 times the maximum amount of 50k..so 225k... If this is actually possible and available then this beats the banks 4 times salary exemptions then you should therefore take advantage of it!

http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie/calculator/

• Advertisement

I might be able to push it to 240k at the very maximum for the perfect place so that sort of knocks out the first one

Do you want/need to buy in the next couple of months.. If not, then hang tight and wait for Avantcard to enter the market or rates to drop/better options for 1st time buyers as that HTB scheme is BS adding 20-40k to new houses and apartments..

According to this calculator you could get 4.5 times the maximum amount of 50k..so 225k... If this is actually possible and available then this beats the banks 4 times salary exemptions then you should therefore take advantage of it!

http://rebuildingirelandhomeloan.ie/calculator/
    I earn a bit less than 50k so won’t get the 225k. It’s coming out around €180k for me depending what term I go for.

I have €55k savings but legal fees, furniture etc needs to come out of that so that’s why I was saying 220 ish to leave 10 or 15 grand to cover those expenses.

I earn a bit less than 50k so won’t get the 225k. It’s coming out around €180k for me depending what term I go for.

I have €55k savings but legal fees, furniture etc needs to come out of that so that’s why I was saying 220 ish to leave 10 or 15 grand to cover those expenses.

I set it at 30 year term and got the rate so even if you earned less than 50k,you should be getting the same calculation of 4.5 times salary.
    Have you checked out ICS Mortgages?
    Thats a healthy savings to have and your right, you will need 15k minimum to cover stamp duty, fees and furnishing, repairs.

Are there any parts of Finglas that are a no go? Seen a really nice 2 bed apartment close to everything I need for 215k

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Are there any parts of Finglas that are a no go? Seen a really nice 2 bed apartment close to everything I need for 215k

Lots of parts of Finglas are a no go. Googling the address/road name and "court" is usually a good start.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭salamiii

keep saving until covid recession next year

l lot of people will start selling the second homes they can't rent out

i would watch th unemployment figure after christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

If you are considering Finglas, you should have a look at Ashbourne. Just 15 mins further out and there is a few apartments in your price range and it's a decent enough area serviced with buses for work.

If you are considering Finglas, you should have a look at Ashbourne. Just 15 mins further out and there is a few apartments in your price range and it's a decent enough area serviced with buses for work.

Just looked at Ashbourne on the map. It’s 40 minutes point to paint to where I work.
    Not a place I’d have thought of

Just looked at Ashbourne on the map. It’s 40 minutes point to paint to where I work.
    Not a place I’d have thought of

Have lived here 19 years, not a bad oul spot at all to be honest with you.

Have lived here 19 years, not a bad oul spot at all to be honest with you.

Is the 103 the only bus to Dublin?
    Good thing with Kildare is you have the M3 service

Is the 103 the only bus to Dublin?
    Good thing with Kildare is you have the M3 service

Don't work in Dublin but many of my neighbours get the bus in and out for work, as far as I know there is a bus every 20 minutes and I think there is a private operator as well.
    Maybe an online search will help you on this?
    There is way too many people commuting in and out from here for there not to be a decent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If you work near Docklands train station which is just behind Convention centre, then Ongar in Dublin 15 is a great location commute wise (25 mins from Hansfield to Docklands on train). A fair few 2 bed apartments and own door duplexes (much cheaper management fees) are around the 200k mark on the property websites. Village with Dunnes Stores, cafes, bar, pharmacy etc only few minutes walk from anywhere in Ongar. Royal canal is a lovely walking amenity nearby too.

I've happily lived here 15 years and commuted by train to IFSC all of that time pre COVID. Area has high number of renters so can be transient population at times but there is still a decent community spirit/tidy town group etc. Blanchardstown SC and M50 less than 10 mins by car and new Bus Connect services will have new more direct bus services to town also. Worth considering for your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

clonee perhaps ?

ongarboy wrote: »
    If you work near Docklands train station which is just behind Convention centre, then Ongar in Dublin 15 is a great location commute wise (25 mins from Hansfield to Docklands on train). A fair few 2 bed apartments and own door duplexes (much cheaper management fees) are around the 200k mark on the property websites. Village with Dunnes Stores, cafes, bar, pharmacy etc only few minutes walk from anywhere in Ongar. Royal canal is a lovely walking amenity nearby too.

I've happily lived here 15 years and commuted by train to IFSC all of that time pre COVID. Area has high number of renters so can be transient population at times but there is still a decent community spirit/tidy town group etc. Blanchardstown SC and M50 less than 10 mins by car and new Bus Connect services will have new more direct bus services to town also. Worth considering for your budget.
    Blanchardstown/Ongar/Ashtowm area seems like a good area to look.
    I have a medical condition which means I can’t drive and that’s not changing for the foreseeable future so public transport and being close to amenities is critical.
    If I saw the perfect house but it wasn’t near shops or a bus that would be a deal breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeah there's certainly areas I wouldn't even consider. Anywhere near Dunsink, and anywhere in Kildonan Park/Casement Park (Northwest Finglas basically). Very, very rough. The areas around Tolka Park are a bit better, and anything east of the Finglas Road is much better. Ballygall Crescent/Parade being a little less upscale but perfectly manageable.

• Advertisement

Yeah there's certainly areas I wouldn't even consider. Anywhere near Dunsink, and anywhere in Kildonan Park/Casement Park (Northwest Finglas basically). Very, very rough. The areas around Tolka Park are a bit better, and anything east of the Finglas Road is much better. Ballygall Crescent/Parade being a little less upscale but perfectly manageable.

It’s in Prosepect Hill Finglas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Wait until middle of next year. The prices should drop. Nothing like a recession and lots of job losses to drive prices down

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It’s in Prosepect Hill Finglas

Ah I used to live just down the road from there. It's grand, no real trouble around that area. It's almost Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,834 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wait until middle of next year. The prices should drop. Nothing like a recession and lots of job losses to drive prices down

no doubt they will bust again, could be in a year or three or more. really depends on your personal circumstances... if you are being robbed on rent and have ability to buy now, it might make sense. #

if living at home or have cheap rent somewhere, you might stick. so many factors at play,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Blanchardstown/Ongar/Ashtowm area seems like a good area to look.
    I have a medical condition which means I can’t drive and that’s not changing for the foreseeable future so public transport and being close to amenities is critical.
    If I saw the perfect house but it wasn’t near shops or a bus that would be a deal breaker

It's a bit harder to find a place when not driving alright. Though its worth looking into and researching public transport where ever you choose that's close to the area you be in and can get you to work aswell.

Blanchardstown and that direction be roughly 30 mins by bus when not in rush hour but could take nearly an hour to get to city when traffic is heavy be mindful of that, trains/luas might be a better option in those circumstances as they take you straight into the city.

Have you considered other counties just outside of Dublin even with trains/buses and commute? Kildare, Meath, Louth and Wicklow are options.

Kildare probably best bet with regular trains and Meath is better for bus transport especially out the Navan Road direction/M3 and N3. Wicklow serves both trains and buses but the trains can be fairly full at rush hour pre-covid! Ashbourne is a good bit out I'm not sure how well it served by public transport I know buses going via Navan and Kells are well catered for as they cover blanchardstown and clonee aswell. A town or village probably be the ideal place for you really in Dublin, Kildare or Meath. Ashtown is served by buses and trains. Other areas near it are served by buses mainly. There are a few trains that pass near those areas as well. Lucan, Celbridge and Lexlip are worth looking into aswell.

It depends where you are working. I think look into that first and then see where it can take you back. Sticking with one form of transport is better than having to go on two or three buses/trains!

Living near the motorways it depends if they are served by buses regularly. I know Clonee and places out that direction are served by buses often. Have you looked into South Dublin rather than North Dublin? Further out to Citywest, Dundrum, Sandyford or Stepaside might be places to consider for apartments aswell if you wish to stay in the Dublin region.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/new-priory-hole-in-the-wall-road-clongriffin-dublin-13/4300831
    No bidding war
    Bus to town on your doorstep
    DART a 10 min walk
    Donaghmede SC a 10 min walk
    Everything on your doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

brisan wrote: »
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/new-priory-hole-in-the-wall-road-clongriffin-dublin-13/4300831
    No bidding war
    Bus to town on your doorstep
    DART a 10 min walk
    Donaghmede SC a 10 min walk
    Everything on your doorstep

Resale value on these will be low, Irish people have long memories.

Also 55/184 for social housing is a very high proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Caranica wrote: »
    Resale value on these will be low, Irish people have long memories.

Also 55/184 for social housing is a very high proportion.
    For what you are getting its good value
    Location and the apartments are built to a much higher standard than most new builds in Dublin
    Do not be fooled by the 10-20% housing stipulation in new build estates
    Councils are buying an awful lot more than that and just not publicizing the fact
    Look at the number of new builds councils are buying in Dublin alone
    Some posters are saying its 50% of all new builds
    New houses built in Coolock village were on the market less than a month
    Council bought the lot

Feeling a bit deflated.

I saw a 2 bed apartment in Santry that was pretty much perfect and after the first few viewings they have increased the price by €50,000 which counts me out.
    Have seen a few 1 beds in alright areas but the living space is just too small, I need a space to have a work desk.

If I find something that I can afford that fits the bill when I research the area it rules it out. Someone linked to what looked like a lovely apartment in Parkwest but on one side was Cloverhill Prison and the other a halting site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

I’m very familiar with Parkwest, wouldn’t buy there, no local amenities and frequent anti social problems with cars being robbed etc, it used to have security but they got rid of it and lot of trouble since

Advertisement