Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Boards.ie subversive to the state?

• 13-03-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭

So says Senator Mark McSharry today in the Senate:
    I do have a question I'm calling for a debate in the context of that eh I'm making a point. It's the same in eh we all want free speech when people are tweeting or texting or online where we have Boards.ie and Politics.ie, for me frankly that doesn't amount to free speech what it amounts to is leaglised subversion of the state. I think it's fundamentally wrong. What we need is somebody some media that reports that facts because as we often praise eh the people of this country for being amongst the most educated in the world and my god they're prepared to make their own decision based on the facts if presented not as presented by the editorial staff within RTE or whatever news media and finally can I say and this is a very worrying issue and I intend to raise it privately with the leader and all should be aware there's a very major news agency in this country in charge of quite a few regional newspapers who have instructed that there staff not to print any news releases from members of Seanad Eireann and I think that is something we need to address.

Senator Marc McSharry in the Seanad during the Order of Business

Lot of this ****e seems to be coming out recently, seems like the boys aren't a fan of boards.

I don't believe sites such as this (and a political website based in ireland when I viewed the link) are subversive, indeed I think they are great because they allow people to put their opinions across without any of the other ****e that goes with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Holding politicians accountable for their actions is subversion. Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No, idiot politicians are much more subversive, making the government look bad from inside.

BRING DOWN THE GOVERNMENT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

People giving their opinions in a manner the State can't control =/= Subversive to the State

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Legalised subversion?

Of the state?

Is this man a ****wit or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I post therefore I am a subversive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Another well placed Sindo politician with connections to the printed media giving out about "new media".

I, for one, am ****ing shocked.

Genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I love reading boards & poltics .ie, Much better than reading the bias and utter crap newspapers on sale at the moment,The politicians are getting nervey as they can see from sites like this that the people have enough and want change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Penn wrote: »
    People giving their opinions in a manner the State can't control =/= Subversive to the State

Ah he did it under Senate priviledge too the cheeky fooker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So we are not allowed to have opinions now? Pretty messed up imho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i think you're fundamentally wrong, mr mcsharry. how do you like them apples!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I don't know what to think, really. So, Middle-Eastern countries were bad for trying to censor/control the internet and websites during the Arab Spring, but in the West censorship/control of the web is an appealing thing to politicans here. Because that'll remove the pesky problem of debates or protests or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

bluewolf wrote: »

TREASON!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What a load of ill thought out bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Cianos

Politicians ≠ the state, no matter how much they'd like to think they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Yep, boards.ie was responsible for subverting our republic by making such an utter balls of our boom economy that we had to have the troika come and tell us how to run our country............

.....................under a Fianna Fail government that never would have happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

To those slow users of Boards what this chap is basically saying is that criticism of the government should be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Flips sake this fella is 8 years my junior, he's going on like an old wan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

"Stuff you Senator Mark McSharry, stuff you!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

They seem to be worried about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

KeithAFC wrote: »
    They seem to be worried about something.

Yeah, being criticised, the poor lambs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

.... how do you like them apples!

I smell garlic......:p

Aww, didums, nobody listening to McSharry that he has to give out about others having an opinion and being able to express it...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sounds like if he had his way, he'd have Ireland listed up for "Enemy of the Internet!" or "Countries under surveillance".

I think he needs to kop himself on if this story is true!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

If repeated calls for some to be "blasted with piss" is subversion, then the man is spot on :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

A waste of space spouting shíte from a ridiculous waste of money ... moaning because he's only just now realised no-one gives a crap what comes out of their mouths ... that there's more sense and information to be found in internet discussion forums than in the Seanad.

Subvert the shít out of the senate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

lol what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sindri wrote: »
    Legalised subversion?

Of the state?

Is this man a ****wit or something?

He's a Fianna Fail Senator and son of Ray Mc Sharry.

So yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DavidCochrane

DrumSteve wrote: »
    So says Senator Mark McSharry today in the Senate:

Lot of this ****e seems to be coming out recently, seems like the boys aren't a fan of boards.

I don't believe sites such as this (and a political website based in ireland when I viewed the link) are subversive, indeed I think they are great because they allow people to put their opinions across without any of the other ****e that goes with it.

His quote in full is here folks, the OP above just copies a bit (without crediting, I'm so calling Sean Sherlock about this!! ;))

Nodin wrote: »
    He's a Fianna Fail Senator and son of Ray Mc Sharry.

So yeah.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Yeah you might claim they are apples...but there is a faint whiff of garlic off them...

Advertisement