Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance camper van

• 26-04-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a commercial vehicule a van a Renault Trafic (old version) which I have modified myself and got the document from a TAX office last month.

I went to AXA my insurrance on Saturday, and I was told they don't insurre camper van, but they can do it for me at an extra cost of €80.

I have to say that I am not please by the answer, so I am looking for another insurrance.

I rang the insurrance of my classic car (I know I got a problem with vehicule :D) and they don't insure camper van either.

So where could I get a insurrance for cheap obviously?

Cheers
    Superfly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Contact dolmen.
    Dolmen Insurance Brokers Ltd
    Butterly Business Park
    Unit 44
    Artane
    Dublin 5
    Telephone:
    01 867 2121
    LO-CALL: 1890 201 603
    Fax: 01 867 2123
    Email: info@dolmen-insurance.ie

Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

By the way guess who the insurrer is!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Hi superfly.
    Can you tell me what the tax office asked of you when you went to register as a camper and what document did they give you.
    I will be going myself next week and would like to know what to expect.
    I and going to try Stuarts for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

defike wrote: »
    Hi superfly.
    Can you tell me what the tax office asked of you when you went to register as a camper and what document did they give you.
    I will be going myself next week and would like to know what to expect.
    I and going to try Stuarts for insurance.

Hi defike,

For the road tax I paid €88 for the year, as a motor-caravan.
    So I have the log book which is going with, I have receive it by post a couple of days after.

My vehicle is an import from France (I am french) so I had a french log book so it will be a bit different for you.

Basically you have to fill the form for the road tax as a Camper van, or declare a transformation I suppose if it is during the year.
    Then they will ask to see the van, so you need a cooker, and a sink both fix to the vehicule, and the inside vehicule as to be 1.90m.
    Basically as long as you can stand it should be grand.

Go this a nice smile and be polite, and it should be ok. originaly I was not planning to leave the cooker and the sink (I don't have any evacuation but it was not a problem :D) after.
    But I think if the garda stop me it is better.

Good luck.
    What did you convert?

I have just ring Stuart, and they don't want to insurre me because on the side of the camper van I don't have a private car with 5 years no claim bonus on it!!!

It is ridiculous, obviously the classic car does not count!!!

I am not impress by them!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

superfly35 wrote: »
    I have just ring Stuart, and they don't want to insurre me because on the side of the camper van I don't have a private car with 5 years no claim bonus on it!!!

It is ridiculous, obviously the classic car does not count!!!

I am not impress by them!!

Try dolmans - cost much the same. Are you named on another car? You can insure a camper as your only car but it costs twice a much.

I have another car (a classic car with a classic insurance!) and I might be named on my Brother car as well!

I think it is crazy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I'm converting a ducato.
    I don't have a car in my own name either because i drive a company van.
    Going to have to fight them i guess.
    Mabey my brother will insure it in his name and me be a named driver.
    Crazy circles,stupid rule.

Yeah I need to ring them again tomorrow to understand a bit more the rule!
    It might turn out to be cheaper to have one of my classic being insure as a normal car.
    And it might be better for my no claims bonus in the future.

I have discovered today that the vintage insurrance do take into account the bonus.....
    It is really a complex story the insurrance....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Anyone here insured with Wexford Insurances?? Looks like there's a new Campervan insurance broker on the market!

http://www.wexfordinsurance.com/Personal/CamperVanQuote.aspx

• Advertisement

For information, I have just ring them up and the insurrance cost is €320 about the same then this other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Contact dolmen.
    Dolmen Insurance Brokers Ltd
    Butterly Business Park
    Unit 44
    Artane
    Dublin 5
    Telephone:
    01 867 2121
    LO-CALL: 1890 201 603
    Fax: 01 867 2123
    Email: info@dolmen-insurance.ie

Marty

If you can!! I've just spent a week leaving voicemails to try and renew my policy. Eventually had to kick up with AXA and they got Dolmen to call me

Well dolmen seems to be a bit painfull, based on the documentation extract from their website the camper need to have a helway for between the cab to the back.
    Mine does not have it so it is disqualified... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

stevire wrote: »
    Anyone here insured with Wexford Insurances?? Looks like there's a new Campervan insurance broker on the market!

http://www.wexfordinsurance.com/Personal/CamperVanQuote.aspx
    Wexford insurance-motorhome insurance section- are but agents for Stuarts.
    We had a very harrowing experience with them a few weeks ago whereby they told us that they could organise our insurance over the internet and we only needed to give them the original proposal form on our way to the ferry.
    The day before we were due to sail which was over a week into the process-we were going to Romania- they told us they could not do it that way. We had to cancel our ferry and delay the trip for a week. Would have cost us over 500 euro extra but for the good will of Celtic Ferries.

Also motorhome insurance runs until March of the following year irrespective of when you take it out so the cost should be 320 euro less the expired months.

Well I got a bit of a problem here, maybe you will be able to help me.
    So my camper van is disqualified for dolmen.

I am wondering if stuart insurrance or wexford are the only only other one in the whole country, or is there somebody else.

I have to say that to me it looks very difficult to insure a camper van :(

Well I got a bit of a problem here, maybe you will be able to help me.
    So my camper van is disqualified for dolmen.

I am wondering if stuart insurrance or wexford are the only only other one in the whole country, or is there somebody else.

I have to say that to me it looks very difficult to insure a camper van :(

You could try going through a campervan club for insurance:

www.ICCC.ie
    www.IMCC.ie
    www.caravanclub.co.uk (have Munster,Leinster & Ulster branches)
    www.motorcaravanclub.com
    www.munstermotorhomeclub.com

Why do you not make a passageway from the cab to the rear and you will then qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

2yung2adm wrote: »
    Why do you not make a passageway from the cab to the rear and you will then qualify.

My friends still has his bench seat and was insured no problem. I imagine the passageway requirement was lifted from the customs spec.

2yung2adm wrote: »

Well I have not build my camper van based on Dolmen needs but based on mine, and the space in the camper. :D
    The idea of closing the back to the front, is to have a better heating back (when you are asleep) and front (we you are driving during the winter, the camper heating system is poor). And it works. ;)

You could try going through a campervan club for insurance:

www.ICCC.ie
    www.IMCC.ie
    www.caravanclub.co.uk (have Munster,Leinster & Ulster branches)
    www.motorcaravanclub.com
    www.munstermotorhomeclub.com

I might give them a shot, I am waiting for some insurance document then will see I might simply go to stuart hopefully I will qualify for them.

paddyp wrote: »
    My friends still has his bench seat and was insured no problem. I imagine the passageway requirement was lifted from the customs spec.
    The passageway requirement is not a VRO(customs) requirement. It is an insurance requirement. Can you find out who he insured it with and it may assist superfly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

would there be anyway around this requirement for a passageway? Do the insurance companies sent someone out to inspect the van or do they just need photos?

They ask for picture, but modify the picture using some photoshop and other paint, would be a bit "much" to me.

Just because I believe in case of a false declaration your insurance will not work, so it defeat the purpose of the insurance.

The best thing is to find an insurance which follow the camper van definition of the tax office, and not their own definition.... :cool:

I will let you know soon, of the outcome for me.

I successed to insure mine finally a bit of a trip :-)

well done Superfly, we too suceeded in buying and insuring our campervan conversion since was last on here, haven't gone away yet but did sleep in it in the back of the house:o

I successed to insure mine finally a bit of a trip :-)

Who did you insure it with?

nyeb2007 wrote: »
    well done Superfly, we too suceeded in buying and insuring our campervan conversion since was last on here, haven't gone away yet but did sleep in it in the back of the house:o

Nice Idea sleeping in the back of the house. :D
    Who did you insure it with?
    I end up using stuart insurrance and their camper scheme.
    I think it is aviva behind them.

we got insured with travelers insurance - very easy process all over the phone and email

http://www.travelers.ie/iwcm/Ireland/Literature/ProductFactsheets/CampervanInsuranceFactsheet_0309.pdf

Out a matter of interest did you have to have a private car insurre with 5 years no claim bonus with your name as a named driver?

How much roughly is the premium for the year?

yes, I did have the 5 years no claims etc... the premium was €370 - I know a little more expensive but they didn't require an engineers report or photos or anything even though we had gotten one done

• Advertisement

Well I have to say that it is a great deal, I would have pay a bit more for less hassle!
    I have to say that I consider, that it was far too difficult to insurre the camper!:(

Advertisement