Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marmite and Danish Blue cheese

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've never tasted either, and I never will. I don't eat any sort of cheese, and Marmite doesn't appeal to me at all.

I remember comedian Dave Gorman, on his programme Modern Life is Good-ish, saying that when he was being interviewed by somebody from a magazine when he was asked the question "Do you think you are a Marmite sort of person?".

He replied by saying "Are you asking if people either like me or hate me?". She clarified with "No, I'm just wondering if you like Marmite or not.". This reply frustrated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

well it's an acquired taste, those who spent time in dear old blighty or the antipodes are more likely to have acquired it.

Vegemite in Australia? I grew up in Lancashire and we neve r had marmite. Must have adopted it as an adult, maybe at university? Hmm,, will think about that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Graces7 wrote: »
    Vegemite in Australia? I grew up in Lancashire and we neve r had marmite. Must have adopted it as an adult, maybe at university? Hmm,, will think about that..

I grew up just down the road from you, in Derbyshire.

And I'm looking forward to tasting Vegemite when I visit my daughter in Australia for the first time next year. It might even be the highlight of my trip :D

I grew up just down the road from you, in Derbyshire.

And I'm looking forward to tasting Vegemite when I visit my daughter in Australia for the first time next year. It might even be the highlight of my trip :D

Loved derbyshire... haddon hall especially. It was where we went on Sundays...

But vegemite IS marmite?

• Advertisement

Oh I'd always assumed Vegemite was similar, but different. Can't possibly be as good though, nothing is as good as Marmite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pekitivey

Tesco have their own version. It's passable, but a million miles away from the real stuff.

As with toilet roll and good bread, I don't mind spending extra to guarantee quality.

ALWAYS worth spending the money on the good quality bog roll and bread...... not they they are used in conjunction however. As for the Marmite, you should eat that in private, maybe in the jacks with your high quality TP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Oh I'd always assumed Vegemite was similar, but different. Can't possibly be as good though, nothing is as good as Marmite :)

Similar alright in appearance. But it's rotten. Not a patch on marmite.
    When I'm hung over or sick I crave marmite. Even writing this now makes me want toast ( toasted on one side) and marmite.
    Forget about the vegemite. It's an imposter :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

So vegemite is marmite?! Never tried marmite but love vegemite spread on toasted cheese bread or normal toast with butter. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ManCityFan01

Unfortunately I am the Son that hates Marmite! or as I like to call it ''Mar might be f***ed in the bin!!''

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I absolutely love blue cheese. Danish Blue, Cashel Blue, Gorgonzola, Stilton, whatever you're having, I love it. On bread, in salad, on pizza, even just straight up, and I'll have it.

Agree with Graces that Marmite should be spread thin. I don't love it, but every now and then I do fancy a bit. I use it a bit in cooking too, to give a bit of an umph of flavour to the dish. Tesco's own brand tastes the same to me so does me. I've never had Vegemite.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Blue cheese and honey on crackers is one of my favourite Christmas snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ManCityFan01

Blue cheese and honey on crackers is one of my favourite Christmas snacks.

Sounds good but my favourite Christmas snack would be 12 bottles of beer, 2 jager bombs, a shot of whiskey, a night full of regrets and a boxing day hangover that lasts a week. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

For anybody lamenting the lack of twiglets in Ireland, Dealz are currently doing giant tubs of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Toasted mc Cambridges bread, spread generously with marmite when hot and then smothered with crunchy peanut butter.

Yummmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Love marmite and blue cheese. My Dad is a huge marmite fan so often had it growing up. Blue cheese is probably my favourite cheese. I would nearly even have the two together, ha!

For anybody lamenting the lack of twiglets in Ireland, Dealz are currently doing giant tubs of them.

Am nowhere near a dealz.. DRAT!!!!! Just too far to get to.... Double DRAT! TRIPLE DRAT!

lol.....

Am nowhere near a dealz.. DRAT!!!!! Just too far to get to.... Double DRAT! TRIPLE DRAT!

lol.....

Ah checked the ingredients online and yes they have palm oil in them so will not ever buy or eat them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Toasted marmite and cheese sandwich is one of my favourites! Always with cheddar though.

Toasted marmite and cheese sandwich is one of my favourites! Always with cheddar though.

Mmmmmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I love Marmite, as others have said it has to be spread thinly. I find it helps if you put a blob of butter on top of hot toast then add the Marmite and spread them together for the best coverage.
    I seem to remember some years back a block of cheese with veins of Marmite going through it was brought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

hey do they still make twiglets?
    Yes - I picked some up in Dealz the other day. Not the usual bag, but a can of Mini Twiglets.

On this "picky eater" quiz my score is ... 1 out of 87. The one is for raw tomato, though I could add 1/2 a point on top of that because I'm OK with liver in a recipe but don't know if I could eat a chunk of it on a plate. Marmite & blue cheese? Bring them on. Perhaps if I was pickier I wouldn't need to watch my weight as much. :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I'd consider myself a picky eater in general and ticked 20 out of the 87 foods listed. However, 13 of the 20 were meat/fish/poultry which I don't eat as I'm vegetarian.

For lunch today, for the first time ever, I tried Marmite with Roquefort blue cheese slivers on thick, nutty wholemeal toast. I'm not a "foodie" at all, but oh sweet Jeebus, it was like having multiple orgasms in my mouth.

I spread the Marmite slightly thinner than I usually do, as I normally lash it on.

I'm like Homer Simpson now, drooling at the memory of my lunch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

For lunch today, for the first time ever, I tried Marmite with Roquefort blue cheese slivers on thick, nutty wholemeal toast. I'm not a "foodie" at all, but oh sweet Jeebus, it was like having multiple orgasms in my mouth.

I spread the Marmite slightly thinner than I usually do, as I normally lash it on.

I'm like Homer Simpson now, drooling at the memory of my lunch :D

I have a lump of sirloin steak the size of a Vokswagen Polo in the fridge. I'm going to cook it rare tonight and put thin slices of Roquefort on it while it's still red-hot. Ooooh yeah! :cool:

Advertisement