Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poor driving on the M7 M9 upgrade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Honestly, these roadworks are nothing short of a bloody joke. Have yet to see a gatso trapping, and at the same time every evening this week as I drive home around 18h00-19h00 have yet to see one person in the centre of the Mway...Any wonder the project is 9 months behind schedule.

Adhering to the speed is nothing whatsoever to do with the contractors. It is for the gardai only and they will not enforce 60kmh.

They will and have stopped people doing over 100kmh

as for 6pm onwards - maybe have a look at 7am and you'll see them all working, but you're probably asleep at that time.

7am to 4.30pm is the standard work time on the site.

Some sub contractors who work is not dependent on other contractors will work different hours (eg - shrubbery and topsoil clearance).

I just do not understand the utter whiniung that comes form some posters - especially when it obvious that they have no experience whatsoever of construction or project management. Two lanes have been kept open at all times - just as two lanes have been there all along.

Traffic if anything is flowing better except when there's a breakdown or crash - but there has been a dramatic reduction in rear end accidents, so flow is surprisingly better than expected. But no-one is pointing this out as they can';t possibly say a good word!

I just wish the negative ninnies would shut the f up with their whining

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Patww79 wrote: »
    They were still there yesterday anyway, both directions. Now displaying 421.

Up to today I only use the N/M7 going down. But today I had reason to use both directions, and yes I saw the 'scoreboards' there. Must have missed the one going down on Friday evening. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Up to today I only use the N/M7 going down. But today I had reason to use both directions, and yes I saw the 'scoreboards' there. Must have missed the one going down on Friday evening. Sorry.

I'm sure the numbers are made up anyway.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Adhering to the speed is nothing whatsoever to do with the contractors. It is for the gardai only and they will not enforce 60kmh.

They will and have stopped people doing over 100kmh

as for 6pm onwards - maybe have a look at 7am and you'll see them all working, but you're probably asleep at that time.

7am to 4.30pm is the standard work time on the site.

Some sub contractors who work is not dependent on other contractors will work different hours (eg - shrubbery and topsoil clearance).

I just do not understand the utter whiniung that comes form some posters - especially when it obvious that they have no experience whatsoever of construction or project management. Two lanes have been kept open at all times - just as two lanes have been there all along.

Traffic if anything is flowing better except when there's a breakdown or crash - but there has been a dramatic reduction in rear end accidents, so flow is surprisingly better than expected. But no-one is pointing this out as they can';t possibly say a good word!

I just wish the negative ninnies would shut the f up with their whining

Very presumptuous aren't we? FYI, My day starts at 07h00 in Maynooth, so I leave Newbridge around 06h00, but I go the back road via Caragh & Clane ( when there is no frost or snom ), so have no use for the M/N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not sure if relevant to thread but I have a question regarding the M7/M9 merge. I know it's possible to merge onto the M9 from the M7 when travelling from Dublin, but is it possible to merge onto the M7 from the M9 travelling north from the Tinryland junction? Can't decipher it from google maps- it looks like the M9 sort of becomes the M7 as you travel towards Dublin.

TIA

• Advertisement

Not sure if relevant to thread but I have a question regarding the M7/M9 merge. I know it's possible to merge onto the M9 from the M7 when travelling from Dublin, but is it possible to merge onto the M7 from the M9 travelling north from the Tinryland junction? Can't decipher it from google maps- it looks like the M9 sort of becomes the M7 as you travel towards Dublin.

TIA

Like hearing from Carlow towards Dublin? Yeah the M9 ends and the only way to go is merge onto the northbound M7. You can't go southbound on the M7 (towards Limerick) from the M9 north, to do that you'd need to go off at Kilcullen and head for Newbridge.

This is the merge part here. You go under the M7 and then up onto the merge with it.

2daewc4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Like hearing from Carlow towards Dublin? Yeah the M9 ends and the only way to go is merge onto the northbound M7. You can't go southbound on the M7 (towards Limerick) from the M9 north, to do that you'd need to go off at Kilcullen and head for Newbridge.

This is the merge part here. You go under the M7 and then up onto the merge with it.

2daewc4.png

That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What was the reasoning behind that does anyone know? It's the same with the M8/M7 merge.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What was the reasoning behind that does anyone know? It's the same with the M8/M7 merge.

I think I read before that the M8 was meant to have one originally, which is why the first junction heading south (Manor Stone) is number 3 and not 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Trying to do 60 on this stretch (off-peak anyway) is more dangerous IMO - you are constantly watching traffic behind you up your ass and flying past you at dangerous speeds (given that the road surface is shyte between J9 and J10 outbound)

I was doing around 65-75 tonight SLOWLY overtaking some trucks and I still had a bell-end in a Range Rover flashing and putting on his indicator trying to get me to move :rolleyes:

I rarely drive this section myself but this is a problem I find on the M50 regularly I usually do a little over the limit on that and regularly have beamers and bmws tailgating me. Happened when I drove that section of the M7 a while ago its a really unconfortable limit to be imposing on that section when no workers are actually there.

• Advertisement

The traffic was terrible on the N/M 7 on Friday afternoon/evening. My neighbour works in Tallaght, and it took them 3 hours to get to Newbridge. I left the M50 and headed out the Blessington Road, turned off at Rathmore, through Punchestown, & Athgarvan. Only thing another couple of thousand thought the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I tried sticking to the 60km/h limit through the roadworks and I was flashed out of it, beeped at, and had someone on my bumper.

They either need to actually enforce it or remove it.

It's not working.

To me it looks like most of the traffic was moving at about 90-100 in the driving lane and at full motorway speeds in the overtaking lane.

Once I pick up a few behind me who look like going to stick to it too, I pass the time by seeing how many of them can stick to it for the full length. Very few are able make it and it's always the same points where they lose it.

Only had one bit of bother with beeping/flashing/tailgating but it wouldn't worry me one bit about anyone who was. **** them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

So has anyone actually seen a Gosafe van along the works?

Not once. 438 convictions apparently though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,417 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not once. 438 convictions apparently though :pac:
    I saw a car pulled in just after the roadworks finished by a Garda Traffic Corps (or whatever they're called these days) car though. Funny thing was the Garda car was in the middle of a convoy of cars all travelling at 100km/h+ that passed me a few minutes earlier.

McCrack wrote: »
    So has anyone actually seen a Gosafe van along the works?

Only time I have seen one ( I come off at J10 so cannot speak for beyond) is when one was doing 60kph coming north, and of course nobody passed him, only that those cars had no idea there was a second one waiting outside Goffs after they sped up once the 60kph restrictions were passed.

Only time I have seen one ( I come off at J10 so cannot speak for beyond) is when one was doing 60kph coming north, and of course nobody passed him, only that those cars had no idea there was a second one waiting outside Goffs after they sped up once the 60kph restrictions were passed.

There's a van there past Goffs so regularly that anyone thick enough to caught there deserves it. Natural selection.

Speed van on the roadworks bit today anyway. So many changes of kaks will be needed this evening after the panic of people slowing from 90 down to 40. Imbeciles.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Grandad99

Speed van there again this afternoon around 14:30 just before the end of the roadworks heading towards Dublin.

There was a 30 minute tailback as one spotted the van, braked and two others ploughed into the first resulting in 1 of the 2 lanes blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If only there was something prominent to tell them what the speed limit is...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I saw a new one this morning, Garda jeep with a camera mounted on the roof sitting in the emergency lane inside the barrier. He seemed to be driving along at one point matching the speed of traffic which I thought unusual.

On another note I was overtaken by a Siac car through the road works I was doing 70. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Motorists have been warned to expect further delays on the M7 this weekend as number of speeding fines on the Naas road widening scheme soars to almost 14,000 since the roadworks began.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/almost-14-000-speeding-fines-issued-as-m7-roadworks-continue-1.3858533

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭blackwhite

At the best of times Zaidan can come down hard on motoring offences - I'd hate to be in front of him during any sessions that were supposed to be his day off!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I recently drove the road at 02:00hrs. I saw a couple of other cars about, no works and a stupid limit of 60kph at that hour of the morning. Completely idiotic limit.

TCM wrote: »
    I recently drove the road at 02:00hrs. I saw a couple of other cars about, no works and a stupid limit of 60kph at that hour of the morning. Completely idiotic limit.

Yet still a limit.

There's a 60km/h I go through on the N76 that I'd happily call idiotic too, but I slow down to 60km/h because if I'm caught breaking it then "I think it's idiotic" isn't going to get me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

When are the works expected to be finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yet still a limit.

There's a 60km/h I go through on the N76 that I'd happily call idiotic too, but I slow down to 60km/h because if I'm caught breaking it then "I think it's idiotic" isn't going to get me off.

They did road resurfacing on a stretch of the M1 last year. Caused all manner of delays in the mornings but outside of that nobody paid much notice and I doubt anyone was stopped or penalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Cheers - have to head down South this weekend. Better plan accordingly.

Advertisement