Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Northbound 18.14 Dart from Connolly to Malahide delayed by 10. "'Technical problems on train".

Another announcement just there that the Maynooth train delayed by 10 because of the "late arrival of another train".

Northbound 18.14 Dart from Connolly to Malahide delayed by 10. "'Technical problems on train".

Another announcement just there that the Maynooth train delayed by 10 because of the "late arrival of another train".

Malahide one now delayed by 15 (more? Dunno).

Every northbound train now delayed because of knock-on effects.

Driving on Monday.

Driving on Monday.

It's here now. People couldn't get on the first few carriages, even to stand. Luckily a reasonably unpacked carriage stopped right in front of me. Even got a seat...

"Train failure at Bray".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

18:31 from Tara Street to Malahide replaced by a Howth train?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Driving on Monday.

Train's fail. Happen's of course but this is what happen when the whole system is pushed hard all day every day.

As for driving, up to yourself but traffic SUCKS. -.-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

No Timetable available online now for the Howth line from the 17th and other timetables are acting a bit strange.
    Probably a few updates being made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I still don't think these extra stops from the commuter trains at Portmarnock and Clongriffin will be enough. It might just about be enough at the moment but both area's populations are growing rapidly.

Clongriffin should also be getting as many stops as Portmarnock. I seen some politician stating before that showed that Clongriffin actually had the more passengers of the two stops (dont know where he got this info) when he was trying to increase the trains stopping at the station.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Klonker wrote: »
    I still don't think these extra stops from the commuter trains at Portmarnock and Clongriffin will be enough. It might just about be enough at the moment but both area's populations are growing rapidly.

Clongriffin should also be getting as many stops as Portmarnock. I seen some politician stating before that showed that Clongriffin actually had the more passengers of the two stops (dont know where he got this info) when he was trying to increase the trains stopping at the station.

Clongriffin now has more morning peak trains than before the timetable change last week as the DART changes add one train an hour extra and almost all commuters didn't stop there previously.

devnull wrote: »
    Clongriffin now has more morning peak trains than before the timetable change last week as the DART changes add one train an hour extra and almost all commuters didn't stop there previously.

Old timetable from 7.35 - 8.35 stops at Clongriffin: 7.37, 7.47, 7.59 (commuter),8.14, 8.32

That's what I'd call peak peak time, arriving in city centre between 8-9am. That's hardly the two darts an hour you're suggesting it is.

I can't pull up the new timetable now because the app is wonky at the moment but I'd be pretty sure darts arriving in city centre 8-9am is down at least one.

My point was that even restoring Clongriffin's frequency actually isn't enough and an increase was needed anyway, new timetable or not. And with the all the development happening in the area (and Portmarnock) they will need it even more in future.

Evenings don't seem too bad to me to be honest, at least they evened out the crazy ratio of Howth over Malahide darts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Old timetable from 7.35 - 8.35 stops at Clongriffin: 7.37, 7.47, 7.59 (commuter),8.14, 8.32

That's what I'd call peak peak time, arriving in city centre between 8-9am. That's hardly the two darts an hour you're suggesting it is.

It really depends what you call peak, but having trains at 6.26, 6.46, 7.06, 7.26 is a big improvement over the old 6.37, 7.07, 7.37 in the early morning, both because of the earlier first train and the increased frequency.
    Evenings don't seem too bad to me to be honest, at least they evened out the crazy ratio of Howth over Malahide darts.

Biggest bugbear of mine was the amount of Howth DARTs and also the fact there was a 40 minute gap in the timetable of Malahide DARTS in the evening which led to a severe overcrowding on the train before and after the gap whilst Howths were much more lightly loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Portmarnock is significantly busier than Clongriffin, about 30% more passengers daily

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm so happy I no longer in the Greater Dublin Area - piss up and brewery come to mind. Enjoy your commuting.

Portmarnock is significantly busier than Clongriffin, about 30% more passengers daily

Where do you get figures like these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

NTA annual passenger survey
    1296 vs 1981
    Malahide is 3324 by comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Biggest bugbear of mine was the amount of Howth DARTs and also the fact there was a 40 minute gap in the timetable of Malahide DARTS in the evening which led to a severe overcrowding on the train before and after the gap whilst Howths were much more lightly loaded.

Well then you must be delighted to know that all these short darts to and from Howth are now as hopelessly overcrowded as the Malahide line darts and nobody wins and everybody's fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Also working out where the entrances are to the busiest few stations, and then standing at your station in the opposite end of the train, will help you get a seat, I can't believe how many people don't recognise this.

For example, if you're waiting at Connolly for a Northbound train the very best place to wait is the end nearest the stairway at the back of the train (Yes, I know it sounds stupid because there will be more people waiting there) since at Pearse and Tara Street people are generally lazy and get on nearest the front of the train, because that end is closest to the entrances.

Regular commuters often choose the spot they stand on the platform to be near the best spot to exit the train at their destination. To beat queues getting out of the station, and traffic or whatever.
    This is most obvious in Pearse, with a particular crowd all determined to get on the Drogheda train at a very specific spot. lots passengers from Balbriggan like to get on about one third of the way from the front, which helps to beat the queue when they get off.
    For instance, as soon as the Skerries passengers get off the Drogheda train, there is mad dash through the train by Balbriggan passengers for the ideal door. Queues form at best door before the train even pulls out of Skerries, with still another 5 mins to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭Trampas

Is part of the problem tailgating through barriers by annual pass people?

If people don’t scan their tickets then ir have no idea where people are going to and from and at what time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Decuc500 wrote: »

When my 4 car morning dart that was at crush capacity after the Killester debacle got to Pearse this morning a longer dart arrived from the southside that had lots of room on it before anybody got off.

So if you ask me (putting my northside bias aside) I would say that the available sets are being managed very poorly.

I travel from the Southside every morning. By Dun Laoghaire it's filling up, by Blackrock it's nearly full, gets a bit jammed after that but rarely the 'will you move down the carriage' shout-provoking conditions that I used to see on busier Northside Darts.

That said, the last week it felt jammed enough and could have used more carriages on the shorter trains, you have to keep in mind that these all start to empty at Lansdowne Rd, then a vast number get off at Grand Canal Dock, another load at Pearse and then by the time it's pulling out of Tara it's 1/4 full.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Trampas wrote: »
    Is part of the problem tailgating through barriers by annual pass people?

If people don’t scan their tickets then ir have no idea where people are going to and from and at what time

The above mentioned annual heavy rail census is carried out by having staff at every station and they count the number of people boarding and alighting from the trains on that day. Thus it would capture all passengers, including annual pass holders and even fare dodgers, etc.

Now that in itself wouldn't necessarily tell you where the passengers who get on at a particular station are then getting off, but if you were to combine the above data with a sample of leap card data, you could model a very accurate picture of the travel patterns.

• Advertisement

I have to say I found it much better this morning coming into city centre from northside. I got the 7.56 (7.51 Malahide) dart from Clongriffin and some people actually managed to get a seat at this stop which I haven't seen happening in months for a dart at this time of the money.

A lot of people got on from Howth Junction to town but at least now they are getting onto a half empty dart rather than an already almost full one.

From the small sample of just this morning I think the new timetable with it's adjustments this week will work out better than the old timetable. Hopefully that continues to be the way and this morning wasn't just a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I have to say I found it much better this morning coming into city centre from northside. I got the 7.56 (7.51 Malahide) dart from Clongriffin and some people actually managed to get a seat at this stop which I haven't seen happening in months for a dart at this time of the money.

A lot of people got on from Howth Junction to town but at least now they are getting onto a half empty dart rather than an already almost full one.

From the small sample of just this morning I think the new timetable with it's adjustments this week will work out better than the old timetable. Hopefully that continues to be the way and this morning wasn't just a once off.

Strangely, the train I got (8.14 from Donabate) was much much busier this morning than usual and some carriages looked like a squash to get on.

Still manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

That would be the benefit of the commuter stopping at Clongriffen in between Darts. The commuters stopping just means that two Darts this morning wouldn't have been as busy as last week.

If you have a look at twitter from this morning, there's still lots of 4 carriage darts in rush hour causing crush load capacity and people are still struggling even to get on trains at Killester.

The new timetable relying on short rush hour darts can never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

This time on the 08:41 from Howth was by far the busiest of the 4 I've gotten. Is it likely that these trains in the mornings are staying as 4 carriages? I want to like this timetable and see it work well, because I think 10 minute frequency is great.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Surely, since the issues seem to be overwhelmingly on the Northside, they need to run some longer ones there even if it means taking one from the southside? We don't know if they could cope but we do know that the Northside can't cope. Killester, where I am, seems to be suffering the worst after eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Was on the 05.40 ex Sligo this morning and had to wait 7 minutes to get a clear path into P4 in Connolly. Thew new 08.00 ex Maynooth is the biggest f up in the timetable. Needs to be 5-10 mins earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Jamie2k9 wrote:
    Was on the 05.40 ex Sligo this morning and had to wait 7 minutes to get a clear path into P4 in Connolly. Thew new 08.00 ex Maynooth is the biggest f up in the timetable. Needs to be 5-10 mins earlier.

I agree with that as do most passengers id say on the Maynooth line , it's too late for most people and it's causing cramming conditions on the earlier service ex Maynooth as a result .

It's not helping that Irish rail are holding it until the Sligo train departs Maynooth and as a result is delaying it further. It should be leaving Maynooth ahead of the Sligo train.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

ixoy wrote: »
    Surely, since the issues seem to be overwhelmingly on the Northside, they need to run some longer ones there even if it means taking one from the southside? We don't know if they could cope but we do know that the Northside can't cope. Killester, where I am, seems to be suffering the worst after eight.

Killester is probably the worst, people can't get on. At least by Clontarf a lot of people start to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

thomasj wrote: »
    I agree with that as do most passengers id say on the Maynooth line , it's too late for most people and it's causing cramming conditions on the earlier service ex Maynooth as a result .

It's not helping that Irish rail are holding it until the Sligo train departs Maynooth and as a result is delaying it further. It should be leaving Maynooth ahead of the Sligo train.

On Twitter Irish Rail said no planned changes to Maynooth timetable, i.e. "suck it up princess". Meanwhile Malahide and southside DARTs are the big winners at everyone else's expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

n97 mini wrote: »
    On Twitter Irish Rail said no planned changes to Maynooth timetable, i.e. "suck it up princess". Meanwhile Malahide and southside DARTs are the big winners at everyone else's expense.

Don’t think anyone getting Malahide darts is feeling like a winner. The new timetable is worse in terms of crowding and not being anywhere close to the timetable journey times.

Advertisement