Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Worst Job You Ever Had?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Dunnes Stores. Enough said.

The majority of my workmates were sound and we all had a bit of a laugh together, but Jesus there are a lot of Dunnes managers that should have been drowned at birth.
    I think I met about two decent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

I know I've spoken about it before on Boards so I'll not bore people now, but I did work as little better than a slave at one point. As you can imagine, it wasn't pleasant, but oddly not where I was most miserable.

That award goes to being a cleaner (in private houses). I was studying and it was something I could work somewhat around my course, so I thought it would be a good idea. I actually enjoy cleaning my own home, it's just the tidying I don't like. However, what I didn't account for is that people are disgusting. People who take "if it's yellow, let it mellow" far too seriously and I would have to cover my face to walk in to flush the toilet, pungent smells of unknown origin, stains of unknown origin, mouldy food left under sofas so it could near walk off by itself, people leaving their kids baby teeth on the kitchen table... a lot of things I didn't want to touch or go near. It was a stomach churning experience.
    My sister works as a cleaner in several private houses. Most of the people she worked for were OK - but one she found was a nightmare. To use the probably un-pc definition, these people were middle class - good jobs, able to pay someone to come in and clean for them. This particular family may have had the thinking of, "Why have a cleaner if you have to do it yourself?"
    My sister understood this, but was angered at some of the basic lack of hygiene - her anger focused on the families son who was often drunk and threw up in the toilet cubicle. Not just vomit in the bowl, but sprayed around the surrounding area. This was left for the cleaner to take care of.
    Also, these people didn't seem to know what to do after they'd had a bowel movement - basic stuff like that.
    On a less extreme note, when I worked in a factory I was assigned to work with a group of people in an office. I'd worked on the shop floor all my life - so you had to have order, be organised and keep the work stations clean and tidy. I had to do all of this for these people because it never seemed to occur to them that it was more efficient to do it for themselves.
    They never grasped the benefits of good housekeeping in the work place - and it was their work place as much as mine.
    The factory had cleaners so they made no effort to be tidy. They couldn't empty waste paper baskets - I even had to find waste paper baskets for one area otherwise rubbish would just be thrown to the floor. One advantage of being on the shop floor - I knew where to "find" waste paper baskets.
    Who were these people?
    They were the quality department!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Bet he doesn't buy dinner afterwards....

:pac:

He WAS dinner :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

A third whispering in his ear.....

"Who's a filthy pig...you are, oh you filthy dirty little piggy...another reacharound? you filthy little swine....

An xgirlfriend of a friend of mine was into breeding horses, when they brought a mare to be covered, sometimes she'd have to "lend a hand" with the stallion. They eventually broke up, I reckon because he could never get over the feelings of inadequacy when she, ahem, held him in her hand.

In Spanish there is a word for a horse wanker - mamporerro ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

A third whispering in his ear.....

"Who's a filthy pig...you are, oh you filthy dirty little piggy...another reacharound? you filthy little swine....

An xgirlfriend of a friend of mine was into breeding horses, when they brought a mare to be covered, sometimes she'd have to "lend a hand" with the stallion. They eventually broke up, I reckon because he could never get over the feelings of inadequacy when she, ahem, held him in her hand.

My sympathies are with the old nag that they bring in to get the mare aroused. He can spend hours at this caressing her while being kicked constantly. Just when she's ready and he's about to mount her, they throw him out in the field and bring in the stallion to finish the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

arctictree wrote: »
    My sympathies are with the old nag that they bring in to get the mare aroused. He can spend hours at this caressing her while being kicked constantly. Just when she's ready and he's about to mount her, they throw him out in the field and bring in the stallion to finish the job!

It's official: THAT has to be the worst job ever!

Dunnes Stores. Enough said.

The majority of my workmates were sound and we all had a bit of a laugh together, but Jesus there are a lot of Dunnes managers that should have been drowned at birth.
    I think I met about two decent ones.

I used to work in Supervalu ... back in 1996, the wage was £2.83 an hour - but we had to stay an extra hour if we were on the last shift which I usually was since I was still in school - to clean up and we didn't get paid for that extra hour.

My God the managers, special place in hell for those c*nts.
    I was there recently at the same branch and couldn't believe one of the weedy f*ckers was still there.

22 years he's been in that ****hole, jesus I'd shoot myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Without doubt a kebab shop in Rathmines - the name of which sounds like the word magicians say when they are doing a magic trick.

Did the night shift, queues of 14/15/16 punters at a time, at 3am.....all hungry for their doners; working your ass off for 2.20 an hour.

To top it all off, I got let go after three weeks because apparently, according to the manager, I couldnt handle the pace.

This was back in the day when there was 20% unemployment, and even the crappest job had 50 people waiting to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I used to work in Supervalu ... back in 1996, the wage was £2.83 an hour

I started in Dunnes in 1998. £4.12 an hour. That was amazing at the time. Roches and Quinnsworth were on a £3 something.
    My first weeks wages after tax was £121.07. I remember it well.

I started in Dunnes in 1998. £4.12 an hour. That was amazing at the time. Roches and Quinnsworth were on a £3 something.
    My first weeks wages after tax was £121.07. I remember it well.

Yeah, we were the losers working in Supervalu, I remember colleagues at the time talking about Dunnes paying ~£4 an hour.

The following summer I got a job at a wharehouse for £5 an hour! - at the time I felt rich!!

:D

And that was a boring boring job but great craic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

I've seen worse.

Spent some time working in Nigeria. The odd day we would have lunch at a local golf club. The clubhouse overlooked this water feature that looked and smelled like an open sewer. The odd time a golf ball would land in this 'water' and some local boys would dive in to try and retrieve it. In addition, there were massive crocodiles lying around on the banks. Now that is the worst job I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Town maintenance; i.e. a road sweeper basically.

Fun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The teaser usually covers the foster mares, I wouldn't feel too bad for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Back in the late 90's I went to London with friends. I got a job in an Elonex computer factory.

The shift was 12.5 hours long. 9am to 9.30pm. Left our house at 8am and was home at 10.30pm. You got a 30min lunch and a 15min break later in the afternoon. Pay was £4 per hour.

Other than that you were standing at a production line screwing components into a circuit board. Just doing the same repetitive thing minute after minute, hour after and day after day.

You had to work Saturdays from 9am until 2.30pm too because doing over 60 hours during the week apparently wasn't soul destroying enough.

The managers there were absolute *****. It was liked they all attended the same training course where they received really specific training on how to be a **** to people you work with.

I lasted 6 weeks - then I got another job thank fcuk.

I have a real respect for people who have to suck up a job like that to put a roof over their families heads and pay the bills - it saps the humanity out of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

D3V!L wrote: »
    They exist alright. A cousin of my ex worked on an industrial pig farm in Cork. They had people that collected the semen from the pigs. All very scientific like :pac:

They also have to collect piss from the boars as a friend of mine who manages a piggery tells me. You see for mating the pigs you have to get the sow aroused first. They do this by spraying boar urine around the sow or into her pen. When a sow smells this they get an immobility response and a service posture if they are at the right stage in heat for mating. Then they know she is ready and they bring in the boar to her. Apparently they also have to check that the boar doesn't service into the rectum and they have to correct this if it happens. If the boar is new they have to "help him in" by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

In the summer of 2001, I had a summer job as a "List developer" which involved working US hours and cold-calling into US corporations getting contact names, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, whatever I could of people in high powered roles. Most of my calls were into the World Trade Center and I finished the job on the Friday before 9/11 to go back to college

Most people either hung up straight away of gave lip and then hung up

Soul destroying job, terrible company to work for, terrible hours and terrible pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

What for ?

What would they have wanted all these lists of number and emails for?

Was it even legal with data protection laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I used to work in Supervalu ... back in 1996, the wage was £2.83 an hour - but we had to stay an extra hour if we were on the last shift which I usually was since I was still in school - to clean up and we didn't get paid for that extra hour.

My God the managers, special place in hell for those c*nts.
    I was there recently at the same branch and couldn't believe one of the weedy f*ckers was still there.

22 years he's been in that ****hole, jesus I'd shoot myself.

I worked in the supervalu in mullingar about the same time. We had the same sh1t there. The owner was a really religious woman who closed down the butchers on good friday so people wouldn't be able to buy meat. I remember the code for the lotto machine was 8246 because the movement around the keyboard was "the same as blessing yourself".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

What for ?

What would they have wanted all these lists of number and emails for?

Was it even legal with data protection laws?

It may be illegal now with GDPR but that's barely 3 months old and it doesn't apply to them anyway because they have abandoned any physical European presence. But it certainly was not illegal in 2001.

It was a technology sales leads list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

They also have to collect piss from the boars as a friend of mine who manages a piggery tells me. You see for mating the pigs you have to get the sow aroused first. They do this by spraying boar urine around the sow or into her pen. When a sow smells this they get an immobility response and a service posture if they are at the right stage in heat for mating. Then they know she is ready and they bring in the boar to her. Apparently they also have to check that the boar doesn't service into the rectum and they have to correct this if it happens. If the boar is new they have to "help him in" by hand.

So if you're a really good pig-w@nker, you might get promoted to pig-piss-sprayer, or is it the other way round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Worst job was working on a banana plantation in Carnarvon Australia. Many people don't know this but when you slice down a fresh banana stalk essentially pure acid sprays out.. permanently stains all your clothes too. Then trying to carry the heavy stalk without bruising the bananas while trying not to trip up on old logs or slipping in the mud... getting attacked by black-flies, and the boss was an ass who refused to pay me in the end.

Lasted a day.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Milking cows in new Zealand, up at 4.30 each morning and the boss who was Scottish made the late Ian paisley seem fond of irish Catholics.

She once rammed into me in the middle of a thirty acre field with her quad bike (I was also driving a quad bike) and claimed she couldn't get past me.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

Chasing walls during the summer of 2000. To those that don't know it involves cutting into the walls of a newly blocklaid house and then chiselling out a gap so the electricians can do their thing and put in sockets, light switches etc flush with the wall. Caked in dust head to toe from the consaws and no sign of a dust mask or goggles, the room filled with dust and petrol fumes and the arms hanging off me from the consaw and kango going all day, good times!

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Chasing walls during the summer of 2000. To those that don't know it involves cutting into the walls of a newly blocklaid house and then chiselling out a gap so the electricians can do their thing and put in sockets, light switches etc flush with the wall. Caked in dust head to toe from the consaws and no sign of a dust mask or goggles, the room filled with dust and petrol fumes and the arms hanging off me from the consaw and kango going all day, good times!

Only a clown chases walls with a con saw. Get a twin cutter/chasing machine. You’re a winner alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Radiant Cool Crazy Nightmare

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Only a clown chases walls with a con saw. Get a twin cutter/chasing machine. You’re a winner alright.

18 years ago and I 15 years of age!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mark25

valoren wrote: »
    I did the static security guard role during college and during the summer. It's boring for sure with the actual work involving staying awake, patrolling the site to scan the digital fobs but got plenty done in terms of course study and general reading e.g. I read the Lord of the Rings and was effectively paid to do so.

Have done many jobs but did static security overnight as well and found that tough. All night 12 hour shift ,minimum wage on my own and trying to stay awake and not miss any checks. I had just qyut the Army and had got it through a mate so did it for a while but that was the worst job Ive done and that includes eime as a cleaner on the wing in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

arctictree wrote: »

I kinda feel bad now for that chap that does my the foreplay for me on my behalf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Another friends dad was an AI man. He had catalogues of bulls, the farmer would select the straw he wanted.

In one catalogue was a chap sitting in some kind of a trailer, with an imitation cows rear, with a bucket. The bulls who were to donate were lined up ready... Don't think he even had safety glasses...

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Another friends dad was an AI man. He had catalogues of bulls, the farmer would select the straw he wanted.

In one catalogue was a chap sitting in some kind of a trailer, with an imitation cows rear, with a bucket. The bulls who were to donate were lined up ready... Don't think he even had safety glasses...

Bull sh1t story ( pun intended).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

Worst job was packing raw meat

Advertisement