Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church of Ireland parish registers to be digitised

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Other CoI records have gone onto irishgenealogy.ie so it would make most sense to put them there and I'd be amazed if they weren't free.

Records not held in the RCBL will presumably stay wherever they are.

I'd expect them to be subject to the data protection rules set down for the civil registers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Records not held in the RCBL will presumably stay wherever they are.

Would be great to see all CofI records together and accessable.

I'd expect them to be subject to the data protection rules set down for the civil registers.

Makes sense and would be good if applied to all church records.

Just had a thought though: COI records up to 1870 are public records (established church), after that, they aren't.

Other churches' records have never been public so the state is not likely to ever gain control of them.

I also note Claire Santry's report is now updated to say they will be on irishgenealogy.ie and the COI statement says over time they will also include registers in local custody not just in the RCBL.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I also note Claire Santry's report is now updated to say they will be on irishgenealogy.ie and the COI statement says over time they will also include registers in local custody not just in the RCBL.

Excellent news!

https://www.ireland.anglican.org/news/8247/100000-grant-supports-digitisation-of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

I presume these records have no significance whatsoever for researchers whose families were all catholic? Hoping I'm wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sometimes Catholics were married or baptised in CoI churches so there may be some significance.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

hblock21 wrote: »
    I presume these records have no significance whatsoever for researchers whose families were all catholic? Hoping I'm wrong.
    Hermy wrote: »
    Sometimes Catholics were married or baptised in CoI churches so there may be some significance.

I was just about to ask the same question. I wonder how often that actually happened, Catholics 'using' COI places of worship? Has anyone here ever come across it in their research? I've never really understood why it would happen, actually.

In practice, I think it's only use of burial grounds that we find RCs in COI churches.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In practice, I think it's only use of burial grounds that we find RCs in COI churches.

A few "missing" marriages on Roots Ireland for me turned out to be COI marraiges (presumably the spouse was) when I could eventually see the GRO image. I also have members of my family that seemed to forget which religion they were between censuses and occasionally children! Political expediency for jobs on one side and nationalist agitation on the other I think; one extremely English/Anglican surname becoming a Catholic land agitator in the late 1800s and his son being in the IRA in 1919 is much more likely to be explained by expediency than a change in faith.

• Advertisement

I have a few surnames in my tree that look like ¨planter¨ stock. Think they married into catholic families in early 19th. century. Hoping that CofI records might assist there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 murf96

hblock21 wrote: »

In 1863, my distant relative, Ellen Murphy, a Catholic, married Protestant William Morton at Clondagad, Co Clare. I first came across this marriage in the Familysearch marriages database. It is also referenced in the Ennis COI marriage index.
    William was employed as a coachman for Protestant landlord William H Ball of Fortfergus. I rather suspect that if William had converted to Popery at that time it may well have cost him his job, for Major Ball was not on friendly terms with the local Catholic clergy. So William remained a Protestant for most of his life, until in 1913, at age 75, Ellen finally persuaded him to convert to Catholicism. He died a Catholic four years later.
    I have no way of knowing how common such mixed marriages were, but I put this forward as one example of how the digitisation of COI records can be of assistance even to researchers of Catholic forebears.

Any update on this project?

No. Keep an eye on Claire Santry's blog, but it'll likely be at least a year if not more.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Had forgotten about this project - anyone have an update?

No, but safe to say it's delayed by Covid.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just a heads up BowWow - it's generally considered good form to post a comment with any links you share.

Regards, Hermy

EDIT: I've jut realised they're not even links but just screen grabs of Twitter posts which is well below the standard for the forum.

Post edited by Hermy on

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was there any mention in the recent media coverage of a time frame? I would love if they would throw up whatever they have done and add to it, rather than me having to wait until it is all digitised.

It is all about me. :)

Seriously though, it will be a great resource when ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭ath262

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Is just one person transcribing all these records I wonder?

Yes if you mean the Anglican records project.

The RCBL are doing the scanning of their registers in-house - but I'm sure they're getting a company to do the transcriptions.

Genealogy Forum Mod

We've said it here before, I'm sure there are plenty of qualified volunteers willing to assist. Amazing how all the archives prefer not to go down that route, not even partially, except FamilySearch of course.

I suspect it's to do with the logistics, quality control, training and management of volunteers. Much easier to get a company to do it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Over the years I've heard stories that years ago unqualified people were used to transcribe other records (not the CoI records though). Can't give any further information.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A lot of the older RC record transcription (for IFHF) here was CE scheme work I thought? E.g. completely unqualified and not experienced at least at the start. Bit hard to know what records are the ones done at the start of the training and which ones are from when they'd got experience under their belt!

Maybe they're the ones I was told about.

It was a FAS scheme as far as I know under a Haughey government.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Yes, however, the FAS scheme was teaching people how to type. They weren't necessarily concerned with accuracy. In the early days, there were ferocious transcription errors on Rootsireland (and no images to link with). I'm merely suggesting that the RCBL has the funding to do a better job nowadays.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement