Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rent increase after 12 months

• 09-09-2018 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I was under the impression that the 4% rent increase can only occur after 24 months. However it has only been 16 months since I've moved I have been and a rent increase is meant to occur on the 1st of October.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭dennyk

Inside of an RPZ, rent reviews can be conducted 12 months after the start of the tenancy or the last rent review, instead of 24 months. Outside of an RPZ, they're still restricted to every 24 months, but there is no cap on the increase aside from the standard "market rent" limit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It also depends on when the tenancy commenced (there are different rules depending on the commencement date of the tenancy........)

True, but if OP's tenancy is 16 months old then it began after December 24th 2016, so it's subject to the 12-month rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

dennyk wrote:
    True, but if OP's tenancy is 16 months old then it began after December 24th 2016, so it's subject to the 12-month rule.

Can the rents be revised and 4% rise annually after firat revision ?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

guys, don't want to open a new thread as my situation is quite similar to the OPs.

Just fond the notice of review and done my own calculation on RTB

Tenancy Type: Existing

Date tenancy commenced: 10/08/2013

Date previous rent set: 17/04/2017 (building was in receivership from 2016, sold to new owner in 02/2018)

Date new rent to take effect: 17/01/2019 (this part I am wondering about....after 12 month they can choose when ever they want to carry the rent review? also when the new one will start? I know we are given loads of time , but just wondering is all of that as per current rules?)

Previous rent amount: €940

Maximum rent permitted: €1005.80

all comparable's given were 2 bed apts, and we are in 1 bed....but that's fine.....I might mentioned it in an email for future reviews.

• Advertisement

The comparables could theoretically invalidate the notice, as they are supposed to be like properties at least as far as bedrooms, etc. go (and in an RPZ I find it hard to believe the landlord can't find three other one-bedroom units on the market). If the new rent is legal under the RPZ restrictions and is in line with the actual market value of a one-bedroom place in your area, though, I'd think twice about challenging it on that aspect, as it will just sour your relationship with your landlord for the sake of saving a couple hundred quid in rent at most (and that much only if you play the game to the hilt, waiting until the last possible minute to dispute and such).

As for the date, yes, the 12 months between and 90 days notice are the minimum requirements; the landlord is free to wait longer than 12 months between rent reviews and to provide more than 90 days notice of an increase if they choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

dennyk wrote: »
    The comparables could theoretically invalidate the notice, as they are supposed to be like properties at least as far as bedrooms, etc. go (and in an RPZ I find it hard to believe the landlord can't find three other one-bedroom units on the market). If the new rent is legal under the RPZ restrictions and is in line with the actual market value of a one-bedroom place in your area, though, I'd think twice about challenging it on that aspect, as it will just sour your relationship with your landlord for the sake of saving a couple hundred quid in rent at most (and that much only if you play the game to the hilt, waiting until the last possible minute to dispute and such).

As for the date, yes, the 12 months between and 90 days notice are the minimum requirements; the landlord is free to wait longer than 12 months between rent reviews and to provide more than 90 days notice of an increase if they choose.

thank you...yes the bold part interested me.

I won't challenge them on the 2 bed apts, I might mention it in some future email just to note that we are in 1 bed. they might not know it.

Advertisement